Location: Media Analytics Ltd, Suite C, Kingsmead House, Oxpens Road, Oxford OX1 1XX, UK
Salary: £23,500 - £35,000 according to experience (with 6-month probationary period)
Contract: Full time, Permanent
Are you an inquisitive and resourceful journalist looking for a job with real impact? If so, we would like you to help us develop an important new area of coverage.
We at Global Water Intelligence have made a business out of providing the information that helps businesses solve the world’s water problems, and now we want to increase our focus on industrial water use. This has a huge effect on the planet, both in terms of the volumes of freshwater consumed and in terms of the polluting effluents produced. It is also an area where big corporations are increasingly prepared to invest in better stewardship. We are looking for an editor who can get on top of this trend and help bridge the gap between the problem and its solutions.
The position involves writing relevant news and features for our monthly magazine, taking responsibility for the industrial water section of our web-based premium market analysis service, editing the work of other contributors where relevant, and advising on content for our events.
We do not expect any direct experience of writing about industrial water (it is new for us as well). What we are looking for is someone who is inquisitive, intelligent and prepared to take ownership of what they do. In return we can offer the support of a friendly and committed team, opportunities for international travel, and the sense of satisfaction that comes with creating something yourself and being able to turn around and say, "I did that!"
Ideally, we want someone with at least three years of journalism on a paid-for publication. We are nevertheless open to applications from recent graduates with strong academic credentials (Russell Group or equivalent universities). The salary will be according to experience.
The ideal candidate will have:
- An excellent spoken and written command of the English language.
- The confidence to draw ideas and information out of people, and the ability to develop strong contacts to keep informed on developments in the fast-paced world of water.
- A nose for the information that will make a difference, and a doggedness in the pursuit of it.
- Scrupulous attention to detail, taking pride in a high-quality end-product.
- A flexible and resourceful approach to work, with the ability to work well in a team.
Global Water Intelligence is an ambitious company with around 50 employees spread between Oxford, Austin (Texas) and Shanghai. It publishes market leading magazines, databases, and reports on the international water industry. Additionally, it runs a series of successful events. It has a unique corporate culture which can be summed up as follows:
- We are global: Our market is totally international and we need to reflect that. We travel a lot and around 40% of our staff don’t come from the UK.
- We work for each other: We do work hard, but not out of fear or greed. It is because we care for each other and it lightens the load of everyone if we all pull together.
- We balance the commercial with the idealistic: We are passionately committed to addressing the world’s water challenges, but we can only do what we do because we are a profitable business.
- GWI employees are enrolled on a company pension plan and receive a holiday allowance of 25 days per year. The successful candidate will be sent to relevant training courses and conferences that help them to develop within their role.
Additional applicant instructions
If you feel you have the necessary skills and experience to be successful in this role please click on "APPLY" today, submitting a CV and a covering letter explaining in fewer than 200 words why you are applying for the job and what you think you can contribute to us that would make a real difference.
We will discard the applications which do not come with covering letters. We will then draw up a shortlist of the strongest candidates for the position to whom we will send a skills test. On the basis of this test, we will narrow the field down to applicants for interview.
The closing date for applications is 24 December 2018.