Associate Natural Resources and Agriculture Officer
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 67 members, 48 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 67 members.
The position is assigned in the Kazakhstan Resident Mission (KARM) within the Central and West Asia Department (CWRD). CWRD is responsible for maintaining client relations and delivering ADB assistance to countries in the Central and West Asia region. KARM was established to assist its Headquarters in the implementation of projects and programs, in project processing, country programming, and sector and economic work.
To view the ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Associate Natural Resources and Agriculture Officer will actively contribute to the Resident Mission (RM) in handling grants/technical assistance (TA) processing and administration, portfolio management, sector work, and other general sector activities, covering public and private sector operations, with focus on environment and natural resources/agriculture sector. The incumbent will report to the designated international staff and senior national staff.
- Provides support to the Country Specialist, and the Natural Resources and Agriculture Specialists in CWER, including but not limited to: review of technical designs and cost estimates, liaison with government officials, data and project costing, procurement packaging and related technical issues; support for policy dialogues with government on policy matters and institutional issues; and maintaining up-to-date knowledge base of future Government investment plans and approval processes, organizational structure and policies relevant to the environment and natural resources sectors.
- Provides support to the Country Specialist, and the Natural Resources and Agriculture Specialists in CWER, in the processing and administration of specific grant and TAs, actively takes initiative and responsibility to engage with RM, HQ and field offices of ADB, Government agencies, development partners, private sector partners, and other stakeholders to facilitate formulation, processing, administration and monitoring of ADB-financed grant and TA projects.
- Prepares inputs for environment and natural resources sector database for portfolio management, including preparing and updating forecasts of contract awards & disbursements, identifying factors responsible for shortfalls and expediting achievement of target levels, where possible.
- Identifies issues and takes actions to address them through interactions with executing agencies (EAs), contractors, consultants, and project beneficiaries; prepares measures to address the issues and implementing the measures.
- Prepares internal procurement papers, review of procurement documents including draft technical designs and cost estimates, and papers for extension of grant closing dates, reallocation of grant proceeds, changes in scope and implementation arrangements, and other project administration tasks.
- Assists in the preparation of Project Completion Reports and TA Completion Reports as assigned. Produces reports, as required, on the tasks undertaken in relation to the environment and natural resources sector assignment.
- Supports or participates in Project Review or Country Portfolio Review missions as a mission member when required
- Maintains close cooperation with other international donors and undertakes meetings and consultations with them, especially in areas relating to donor coordination and harmonization in environment and natural resources sector work.
- Contributes to environment and natural resources sector work in the field by conducting research, updating information on environment and natural resources sector, analyzing financial, institutional or economics uses, and preparing reports on the subjects.
- Assists in the preparation of environment and natural resources sector assessments within the context of development aid effectiveness and national sector strategy to be utilized for programming purposes. Where required, acts as the focal point for the assigned sub-sector(s) and maintains close relationships with the relevant government agencies and HQ staff.
- Provide support in organizing meetings, conferences, seminars, and workshops, as required.
- Performs other duties as may be assigned by supervisors
Relevant Experience & Requirements
- Bachelor's degree in agricultural economics or agricultural sciences or civil engineering with specialization in water resources development or irrigation management or hydrology; master's degree preferred.
- At least 6 years of relevant professional experience in project management and implementation
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English is required.
- Proficient in spreadsheets, word processing, and required information technologies.
- Experience & knowledge of various stages of the project cycle (project planning/ feasibility analysis/detailed design/project implementation/construction supervision/ contract management)
- Ability to work with good analytical thinking and problem solving.
- Ability to work with individuals from different cultural/national backgrounds.
- Able to liaise and work effectively with government officials within own work location
Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for National Staff, Levels 1
The selected candidate is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB's standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual's qualifications and experience.
This vacancy is a local staff position. It is open only to nationals and residents of Kazakhstan.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.