WASH Operation Assistant
General Description of the Programme:
GOAL has been working in Syria since 2012, responding to the acute needs of conflict-affected communities. GOAL is working directly in Idleb Governorate, and in Aleppo, Latakia and Hama in collaboration with local partners, delivering integrated food security, WASH and emergency response programming along with cash-based interventions to highly vulnerable populations. In 2018, GOAL embarked on an ambitious 25-month programme to meet the WASH needs of over 550,000 people in GOAL’s Area of Operation (AoO). The programme will have three main components; Utility Operations, Improved Governance and Accountability and Emergency Response.
‘Utility Operations’ speaks to the support and inputs the organisation will provide to appropriate Water Provision Authorities to support the functionality of Water Units and Water Stations. This will include the establishment of an e-voucher system for fuel provision, an incentive programme to increase to promote cost recovery and the provision of increased water availability at household level and the establishment of an Infrastructure Stabilisation Fund for community driven identification and prioritisation of rehabilitation works at station and network level. In terms of improved Governance and Accountability, GOAL with work with Water Authorities to expand their remit beyond technical oversight through a meaningful capacity building programme that looks to improving financial management and the implementation of cost recovery systems. Finally, GOAL will integrate WASH interventions into its emergency response programme through targeted hygiene promotion and hygiene kit provision. The interventions proposed will be implemented by a multi-disciplinary team comprised of engineers, behaviour change agents and M&E staff.
The WASH Operation Assistant will be based in GOAL’s office in Harem supporting the WASH operation Officer with Data collection, conducting field periodic inspections, Documentation and reporting. S/he will work in close coordination Syria-based GOAL engineers and the Water Units.
The WASH Operation Assistant’s main responsibility is to ensure that all required data related to WASH activities are collected and properly documented. This will involve working closely with the WASH engineers/Water Units. It will also involve periodic visits to all pumping station beyond WASH programme area of operation to fill inspection check lists and documents. This will require a high-level knowledge of pumping stations’ equipment and water systems.
Duties, objectives and competencies
- Periodically travel to all pumping stations in WASH programme’s Area of operation for fuel usage monitoring.
- Conducting fuel calibration for water stations’ generators regularly.
- Conducting the periodic fuel stocktake in water pumping stations.
- Preparing and sorting WASH activities and project documents.
- Collecting water stations’ operational data.
- Assisting WASH Operation officer in data entry.
- Any other duties required by WASH operation officer.
- Technical mechanical certificate (mechanical engineering institution) or related technical field. Degree in Mechanical engineering is preferred.
- Very good technical knowledge of water stations and generators.
- Very good Excel skills.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and motivational skills.
- High level of attention to details.
- willingness to work long hours under significant pressure.