Post-Doctoral Fellow (Water Accounting and Productivity)
The International Water Management Institute (IWMI) is looking for a highly motivated Post-Doctoral Fellow to be a part of a growing team of experts working on the development of tools for water accounting and water balance assessments applicable to a range of scales (field to basin). The purpose of this position is to contribute to the scientific development of these approaches and their application for water resources assessment and allocation across multiple spatial scales for improved understanding of water resource use and availability in the locations where IWMI works.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Contribute to the scientific advancement and methodological developments of IWMI’s suite of water accounting methodologies;
- Develop hydrological applications based on the use of remote sensing data and hydrological models to understand hydrological processes and quantify water budgets across scales;
- Develop technical guidance on the application of different water accounting approaches suited to particular biophysical and water management contexts;
- Prepare high quality research reports and journal articles;
- Work with a multi-disciplinary team to implement innovative, remote sensing based approaches for improved water management across the regions in which IWMI works.
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
- PhD in water resources, spatial hydrology or a related subject;
- Prior experience of working on large spatial data sets and writing and executing scripts in Python for water resources assessments;
- Experience designing and implementing approaches for data scarce environments;
- Must have a strong analytical mind-set.
This is an internationally recruited position with a benefits package that includes a housing allowance, transport, shipping assistance, annual home leave and health insurance. Postdoctoral scientists are appointed on a fixed two-year contract. The successful candidate will be based at the headquarters of IWMI in Colombo, Sri Lanka,
IWMI is an equal opportunity employer and emphasizes the importance of regional and gender diversity and inclusiveness in identifying candidates for this position and its staff more generally.