Researcher (Water Accounting/Spatial Hydrology)
The International Water Management Institute (IWMI) is looking for a highly motivated researcher for water accounting and water balance assessments applicable to a range of scales (field to basin), and to apply these tools for improved management of water resources in the locations where IWMI works. Contribute to the scientific development of these approaches and their application for water resources assessment and allocation across multiple spatial scales. The work will contribute to IWMI’s research agenda as well as to the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR) Research Programs (CRP) on Water, Land and Ecosystems (WLE) and other CRPs in which the Institute is participating.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop water resources and hydrological modeling tools to analyze water use, availability and allocation across multiple spatial scales;
- Develop hydrological applications based on the use of remote sensing data and GIS technology to understand hydrological processes;
- Developing guidance for the application of different (gridded) water balance/accounting approaches at different scales;
- Contribute to the methodological developments of IWMI’s suite of water accounting methodologies;
- Prepare high quality research reports and journal articles.
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
- PhD in water resources, hydrology or a related subject;
- 5 years’ experience in agriculture and water related research in developing countries;
- Prior experience of working on large spatial data sets and writing and executing scripts in Python;
- Experience implementing operational water accounting frameworks or national level water budgets;
- Must have a strong analytical mind-set;
- Proven record of high quality reporting, including peer-reviewed articles in international journals as first author;
This is an internationally recruited position with a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes a housing allowance, transport, education, shipping assistance, annual home leave, retirement and health insurance package. The duration of the contract will initially be for a three-year period with possible extension.
IWMI is an equal opportunity employer and emphasizes the importance of regional and gender diversity and inclusiveness in identifying candidates for this position and its staff more generally