Consultancy: Designing Water Catchment and Micro-Irrigation Schemes Infrastructures
1.1 About Norwegian Refugee Council and the Project
Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) has been present in Somaliland since early 2006. Over these years, the Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) has demonstrated a regional competence and expertise in working with displaced populations with programs in Food Security, Education, Water and Sanitation, Shelter, Information Counselling and Legal Assistance. Since 2013 NRC has become one of the leading actors in Implementing resilience programs in Somalia.
In Burco and Baki, NRC is implementing resilience projects funded by EU- DEVCO through Building Resilient Communities in Somalia (BRCiS) consortium. The resilience program is intended to contribute to resilience of the target communities to shocks of drought, flood, conflict and diseases.
As part of NRC’s resilience program in Burco (Todgheer ) in Somaliland NRC through Participatory Community Analysis process undertaken in Nasiye and Haradagubataxil in Burco district, Togdheer region, identified construction of medium to large surface water harvesting dam as key areas of intervention capable of supporting their pastoral livelihoods and build their capacity to resist drought stresses. NRC intends to support this intervention and therefore intend to map out, design and develop Bills of Quantities (BoQ) for medium to large scale water harvesting and storage reservoirs with Liners. NRC is therefore looking for dynamic and well qualified and competent engineers to lead this process.
1.2 Purpose of the consultancy
The main objective of the consultancy is to map out, design, develop Bills of Quantities and produce report for 2 medium scale water harvesting reservoirs (in Harada Gubaxtaxiil and Nasiye all in Burco district)). The design and Bills of quantities thereto produced will guide NRC to support the construction of the water harvesting and storage reservoirs for domestic and productive use including piloting crop farming on small scale basis.
2.0 DELIVERABLES/SCOPE OF WORK
The consultant will work closely with the community leaders and members, NRC project Staff in the 2 project sites (HaradaGubaxtaxiil and Nasiye) to undertake the following assignments:
(i) Map and lay out the catchment for 2 medium to large scale water harvesting reservoirs (Water dam) providing clear land and soil profiles for the catchment of the two dams.
(ii) Design 2 medium scale water harvesting reservoirs (in HaradaGubaxtaxiil and Nasiye all in Burco district)
(iii) In consultation with NRC staff develop the Bills of Quantities for 2 medium scale water harvesting reservoirs (in HaradaGubaxtaxiil and Nasiye) in Burco District
(iv) The consultant will be responsible for wetting design(s) from all relevant authorities.
(v) S/He will be obliged for any clarity that may require regarding design and/or execution of the infrastructure(s), during the implementation of the project within 2 days of consultation, failure of which may cause suspension of his/her final payment.
(vi) The design capacities of irrigation channel(s), water catchments and other infrastructures shall be supported with respective calculations.
PROCESS AND TIMELINE
(i) The assignment will involve consultations with all the NRC, Ministry of water officials at Hargeisa level, Local authorities of Burco district and the Community Disaster Management Committees from the project sites listed above.
(ii) The consultant to be identified for the assignment will develop tools and methodologies through which the assignment will be executed.
(iii) The exercise is expected to commence as soon as a possible and in any case not later than the Early December 2018 and be completed within two weeks.
PROFILE OF THE CONSULTANT REQUIRED FOR THE TASKS
The Consultant will have:
- Have degree in Agricultural Engineering, Water and Environmental Engineering, Civil and structural Engineering or related fields.
- At least 5 years of professional experience in international development, private sector or government
- Specific knowledge and experience in designing Water catchment structures.
- Should be able to calculate required delta and duty of crops.
- Exceptional skills in appropriate engineering tools for mapping and laying out, drawing engineering designs and developing BOQ for Water catchment structures and Small scale irrigation schemes appropriate to Arid and semi-arid context.
- Experience of working in Somalia or Arid and Semi-Arid Districts in Kenya/Ethiopia.
- While undertaking this assignment, NRC will, for international consultant, meet cost of flight, from Nairobi to Hargeisa and local transport including security escort, within Hargeisa and Burco, meals and modest accommodation.
- However, the Consultant will be responsible for their own Insurance during the subsistence of the contract and NRC will not be responsible for any injuries or damages incurred during the assignment. The contractor will also meet their own telephone costs. Therefore, the costs submitted must be inclusive of all anticipated expenses
MODE OF APPLICATION;
Applicants who meet the above profile should submit the following documents to the address provided below:
- Cover letter – maximum 1 page: Introducing the candidate and interest in the assignment. This should also include information regarding proposed timeline (actual dates) for the assignment and your consultancy rates.
- Detailed Technical and financial proposal –: This should provide information on key aspects of the tools that the consultant proposes to use for this assignment. The document should demonstrate that the candidate understands what needs to be done and possible deliverables. It should also include professional fees, subsistence cost, cost for developing engineering designs and Bills of Quantities as well as costs for compiling the final report for the assignment. Please note all costs must be broken down into details (no lump sums, no contingencies etc.)
- Curriculum Vitae: CV for the candidate (or CV of the person expected to be Lead Consultant in case it is an organization that is applying)
- Example of previous work: This should be an assignment that was done in the last 1-3 years and should include the contacts of the organization or person that you worked for on this assignment.
- The consultant must have modern and relevant land profiling tools including but not limited to RTK
All Applications should be submitted not later than 28th November, 2018 at 4:00pm and be sent to the undersigned:
Send the documents through this Email:
Send queries to this email: