About the Position
Water For People is currently recruiting for the position of Data Assistant. The Data Assistant will work extensively with Water For People’s monitoring datasets to gather useful findings and disseminate conclusions to Water For People Headquarters and Country Program staff. In doing so, the Data Assistant will support Water For People’s Program Learning Agenda by adding valuable findings to a documented knowledge base. The Data Assistant will support as needed during Water For People’s annual monitoring process, including support of a training for Water For People’s Monitoring Champions in Denver in early December. Additionally, the Data Assistant will support the development of various methodologies for monitoring Water For People’s market-based sanitation initiatives. Finally, the Data Assistant will support the Program Quality Management (PQM) Team as needed on various data-driven projects such as local water resources management inventories, mapping of geospatial data, or lifecycle costing information of water infrastructure.
Essential Job Functions and Duties
- Analyze historic and current data to draw useful conclusions from pressing programmatic questions
- Summarize and document findings in visualizations, maps, write-ups, or presentations
- Conduct desk research, as needed
- Support annual monitoring data collection, cleaning, scoring, and presentation
- Support the design of a mixed-method impact evaluation of one of Water For People’s sanitation initiatives
- Support the PQM Team in other data-driven planning needs
Behaviors and Competencies
- Connects to the Mission – Embraces the mission of Water For People and is passionate about advancing the dynamic role it plays leading social impact in international development.
- Demonstrates Ethics and Integrity – Understands ethical behavior and business practices, and ensures that own behavior is consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of the organization.
- Action-oriented – Has an unwavering commitment to delivering quality work products.
- Connects with Others – Demonstrates exceptional communications and interpersonal skills.
Qualifications, Knowledge, and Skills Required
- Student pursuing a Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in International Development or similar, with an awareness of water and sanitation challenges in developing countries.
- Quantitative and qualitative data analysis skills.
- Experience using relevant statistical software; advanced skills in Microsoft Excel is required.
- Experience in monitoring and evaluation practices and methods for international development programs
- Experience in geospatial mapping software is preferred, but not required.
- Understanding of the complexities reflected in data for WASH programs, such as market forces, finance, governance, water quality, latrine quality, open defecation, water infrastructure, and water resources.
- Exemplary communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Ability to work with people around the world, with unique cultural backgrounds.
- Enthusiastic and positive attitude, problem-solver, collaborator.
- Fluency in Spanish is preferred, but not required.
Note: This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with the job.
Deadline for submitting your application is 5 pm MST, Friday, December 7, 2018.
This is a temporary, part-time (5 hours per week), non-exempt position with no benefits. This position will not exceed 46 weeks. This position is based at Water For People’s headquarters in Denver, Colorado. The job functions of this position are flexible and can accommodate a student’s scheduling needs such as not working during finals weeks or accommodating some remote work.
If you are qualified and Water For People interests you, please send us your resumé and a cover letter that provides insight into both your experience and how you are the ideal candidate for this position. Also, please let us know how you heard about this position.
Resumés and cover letters can be sent to ; please put the job title in the subject line. Please no phone calls or in person inquiries.