The work undertaken by The James Hutton Group is right at the top of the global agenda tackling problems such as the impact of climate change and threats to food and water security.
We seek to appoint a Project Manager to work on a number of environmental policy led projects for stakeholders including those delivered through the Scottish Government Centres of Expertise. This post will oversee the operational delivery of several projects, liaising with policy contacts and researchers to ensure efficient delivery of outputs against agreed timelines. The postholder will also contribute to both the co-construction of new projects as well as the communication of project outputs upon completion which will include liaison with key stakeholders, academics, project leaders and other departments such as finance, legal, and communications.
To deliver effectively in this role you must have experience of project management and co-ordination preferably in a science context or similar profession, possess strong interpersonal skills and be able to demonstrate a track record in project delivery.
More information on the detail of the post and the post holder can be found below in the job description.
Main Purpose of Job
This post is instrumental in delivery policy led projects for stakeholders in Scottish Government and through the Centres of Expertise. In addition, the post will support ongoing projects linked to the Hydro Nation initiative.
Key to success at the science:policy interface is co-construction of research with stakeholders, efficient project management and knowledge exchange. The post-holder will project manage several environmental projects, liaising with policy contacts and researchers to ensure efficient delivery of outputs such as reports against project agreed deadlines. The post will also work to exploit the knowledge generated from those projects and will contribute to a wider communications strategy, including digital media.
Main duties of post holder
- Leading a cluster of linked environmental projects including policy liaison, organising and managing events to facilitate the science: policy interface, identifying, prioritising and co-construction of project specifications;
- Managing projects, including the tender process, establishment and co-ordination of steering groups to ensure timely delivery of appropriate, robust, and accessible research findings;
- Liaising with scientists to ensure policy needs are understood and that projects meet policy need;
- Contributing to a wider communications plan, including digital media;Contributing to financial planning and reporting at a project level;
- Providing general support to the project managers and team members in developing and delivering project outcomes;
- Support opportunities for new funding and resources.
- Experience in project management
- Experience of scientific research
- Experience of policy development or implementation
- Experience in meeting coordination
- Good people skills and proven ability to liaise with scientists and policy makers
- Ability to translate complex issues into succinct reports
- Ability to work to very tight timescales and manage competing demands
- Good organizational, planning and communication skills
- Relevant post graduate experience, or professional accreditation
- Understanding links to the wider environment, and policy including water policy
- Experience in event organisation
- Experience in social media
- PRINCE or other project management training
- Experience of working on international projects ad handling cross cultural issues
- Experience of project financial management
This post will be based in Aberdeen; there will be a requirement for occasional travel within Scotland, the UK and potentially overseas in support of international projects. You must have the right to work in the UK to be eligible for this position.
The James Hutton Institute is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
We will not consider the use of 3rd party recruitment agencies for the sourcing of candidates for this position.