UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
Project structure and context
Unrest in the Syrian Arab Republic has been on-going since March 2011 and has deteriorated ever since. Syrians are increasingly deprived of access to basic services due to the level of physical and infrastructural destruction left behind by the hostilities or competition on scarce resources, also as a result of massive internal displacement. Inside Syria, over 13.1 million Syrians are in urgent need of humanitarian assistance. Four out of five people live in poverty. Associated with climate change impacts and deteriorated environment resulted from pollution. Without security, jobs, basic services and infrastructure, environment management and support to climate change adaptation the living conditions of Syrians and their livelihoods prospects will be significantly eroded, severely increasing their vulnerability and undermining their ability to cope with the consequences of the crisis.
Rationale / background and the objectives project
UN-Habitat, UNDP and FAO in coordination with the Ministry of Laocal Administration and Environment in Syria have been successful in securing funding from the Adaptation Fund with a total budget $9,997,156 for duration of 3.5 years to support the local communities,through a joint project ‘Increase the climate change resilience of communities in Eastern Ghouta in Rural Damascus to water scarcity challenges through integrated natural resource management and immediate adaptation interventions’.
The project includes three outcomes, UNDP will be the executing agency for the second outcome: “Increase the access to municipal and community-level efficient, sustainable and climate change resilient water supply systems for urban and agriculture purposes, using innovative and replicable techniques “ The project aims to reduce vulnerabilities to water availability challenges in one of the most vulnerable areas in Syria: Eastern Ghouta. To manage water and land resources efficiently, also considering future climate change risks and population trends in this area, an integrated natural resource management strategy will be developed.
Description of how the provided services by the coordinator will contribute to achieve the goal of project
A project coordinator with relevant background and experience will be recruited to manage and carry out various aspects of detailed managerial, engineering and procurement support that includes:
- Ensuring effective project management of the assigned activities by maintaining the delivery of appropriate technical, operational, financial, and administrative outputs, while tracking the project progress through monitoring, evaluation, and reporting.
- Ensuring the integration of the project activities with other outcomes to ensure effective results and impacts
- Establishing and sustaining collaborative working relationships among key project partners, and stakeholders, , through effective communication and consultation.
- Aligning the project with UN values and UNDP priorities.
– Duties and Responsibilities– Scope of Work
- Ensuring effective project management of the assigned activities by maintaining the delivery of appropriate technical, operational, financial and administrative outputs, while tracking the project progress through monitoring, evaluation and reporting.
- Manage and coordinate the implementation of the respective activities on a day-to-day basis as per the relevant project document, with a view to achieving project results;
- Supervise, guide and coordinate the work of the project implementation team (tasks, milestones, and deliverables) including consultants and experts;
- Develop comprehensive/detailed project work-plans that include all project activities and staff roles and responsibilities and setting-out corresponding milestones;
- Monitor the progress of implementation of project activities and key event schedules observing the work-plans and set deadlines including monitoring of the financial resources and accounting to ensure accuracy and reliability of financial reports;
- Manage and monitor project risks initially identified, submit information on the new risks and possible mitigation Initiation of a project, entering project into Atlas, preparation of required budget revisions.
- measures to the Area Manager for consideration and update the status of these risks by maintaining the Project Risk Log;
- Ensure adherence of project activities to the existing financial, procurement and administrative processes that are in line with adaptation fund and prevailing UNDP rules and regulations and, at the same time, observe the project timelines;
- Ensure efficient use of project human, financial and logistical resources;
- Prepare project progress reports (progress against planned activities, update on risks issues, expenditures…) in line with adaption fund requirements and ensure timely submission of the reports to the Area Manager and relevant instances, such as the portfolio and project managers;
- Provide technical backstopping and inputs including revising and/or preparation and of technical specification.
- Establishing and sustaining collaborative working relationships among key project stakeholders, particularly the direct beneficiaries, through effective communication and consultation.
- Maintain strong relationships with the key stakeholders including the direct beneficiaries, the contractors, implementing partners, and the local authorities;
- Collect, analyze and address stakeholders’ inputs and feedback to ensure coherence and complementarity of project activities;
- Work closely and openly with the project team and stakeholders to identify innovative solutions;
- Identify opportunities for deepening the cooperation and recommending adequate approaches to dealing with different stakeholders based on information on all relevant stakeholders gathered during projects’ implementation;
- Maintain regular communication on relevant project issues with the area office and ensure quality and timely delivery of all agreed outputs;
- Submit reports in a quality and timely manner;
- Aligning the project with UN values and UNDP priorities;
- Ensure the principles of gender equality, social inclusion and resilience are effectively reflected in all projects activities.
- Ensure that gender equality is pursued in all project activities and reflected in work plans, reports, and analyses;
- Ensure that accessibility for persons with disabilities is, to the extent possible, reflected in all project activities;
- Seek, analyze and apply knowledge, information, and best practices;
- Communicate project goals and activities clearly to both stakeholders and UNDP Area Office.
– Institutional Arrangement
Under overall supervision of Team Leader for the Infrastructure Rehabilitation and Essential Services portfolio, and the direct supervision of the Area Manager (first supervisor) in Southern Area and the Programme Analyst/ SWM Project Manager (second supervisor), the Project Coordinator will be responsible for managing and spearheading the implementation of the project activities to achieve the outputs and objectives as set out in the relevant project document, and in accordance with UNDP standards and best practices. The successful candidate is expected to provide overall guidance, apply results-based management, operational oversight, and facilitate synergy between the various project activities.–
Required skills and competencies
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism
Desired additional skills and competencies
Management, leadership and operational skills:
- Analyses complex problems systematically and efficiently. Focuses on critical details while managing a broad perspective. Draws accurate conclusions and makes sound decisions.
- Uses initiative to deliver required outputs and planned results on deadline and on budget.
- Demonstrates high tolerance for change, complexity and unpredictability.
- Focuses on impact and results and responds positively to feedback.
- Demonstrates strong conflict-resolution skills.
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude.
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure.
- Builds strong relationships with colleagues and external actors.
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities.
Innovation – ability to make new and useful ideas work
- Anticipates obstacles and applies practical solutions.
- Embraces new methods.
- Continually seeks improvement.
- Collaborates to improve methods and delivery.
Delivery – ability to get things done
- Makes new ideas work.
- Critically assesses value and relevance of existing thinking.
- Embraces difficult obstacles that interfere with getting work done.
- Anticipates constraints and identifies solutions.
- Accountable for project implementation.
Communication – ability to listen, adapt, persuade, and transform
- Has strong interpersonal, negotiation and networking skills.
- Able to listen to others.
- Respects difference of opinion.
- Finds common ground to solve problems.
- Gains trust of peers and stakeholders; and
- Able to present complex, conceptual ideas in simple, persuasive terms.
Job knowledge and technical expertise:
- Able to manage deliver results under tight deadlines.
- Has sound knowledge of project management tools and utilizes these regularly in work and assignments.
- Has strong knowledge of project area and seeks to develop herself/himself professionally.
- Has experience with application of innovative methods and tools.
- Knowledge of and sensitivity to local politics and culture as well as community issues.
– Required Skills and Experience
Min. Academic Education
- A master’s degree in civil, environmental, or mechanical Engineering and other related fields
- A first-level university degree in combination with an additional two years of qualifying experience will be given due consideration in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Min. years of relevant Work experience
- At least 2 years (Masters) or 4 years (Bachelor) of of practical relevant experience managing projects or working in environmental engineering / wastewater treatment & sewage network rehabilitation
- Demonstrated reporting skills.
- Experience in utilizing computers including word processing, spreadsheets, and other software packages
Required Language(s) (at working level)
Excellent command of English and Arabic
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.