Full Job Description
JOB OPENING: Water Resource Specialist
Job Title: Water Resource Specialist
FSLA Status: Full-time Position (40 hrs./wk.)
Reports to: Water Resources Manager
Salary Range: $25.00/per hr.
The Water Resource Specialist will be required to fulfill tasks under any grants and Tribal programs that are associated with water quality monitoring, water implementation projects and native and non-native plant projects. These programs exist to protect the Tribe’s natural resources within the watershed. These tasks will be performed in conjunction with activities of other Environmental Department staff and consultants. This position works under the guidance of the Water Resources Manager. The position may require the ability to travel periodically to local, regional, and out of state trainings and meetings. The position requires both office and outdoor field work. A strong candidate will have prior experience working in natural resource protection programs and have experience in Tribal programs.
- Conducting water quality monitoring of the groundwater, springs, ponds, lake, and tributaries under the Tribe’s Quality Assurance Program Plan
- Implementing the Tribe’s Storm Water Management Plan
- Inspect and clean out storm drains, culverts, and waterways of invasive plants, solid waste, and debris.
- Data submittals to the Water Quality Exchange
- Compiling analytical results and assisting with comparison and evaluation of data
- Grow and maintain plants from past NPS project sites such as pines, cottonwood, monzonites, madrones, and oaks.
- Participate in identification of where plant loss is occurring for later plant replacement.
- Cut invasive yellow star thistle and Himalayan blackberry along with other invasive in roadways, waterways, and culturally sensitive areas.
- Survey and report any inadequate BMPs from inspection of tribal lands.
- Writes and implements environmental plans, creates reports, and reviews regulatory compliance documents.
- Participates in developing and implementing community and education outreach programs for the water resource program.
- Contributes articles for the EPA department newsletter on a quarterly basis.
- Utilizes GPS, ArcGIS & other mapping equipment to collect and interpret field data.
- Establishes and maintains complete files and records related to assigned functions, participate in the maintenance of various computer files and records, inputs and retrieves a variety of technical and statistical information
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw realistic conclusions.
- Ability to write reports and business correspondence
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Must enjoy working with diverse groups of people.
- Must be extensively computer literate and have a broad-based knowledge of computer
- programs and software.
- Must have the ability to analyze and interpret technical procedures or governmental
- Knowledge in G.I.S. and G.P.S. skills are a plus.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Must possess a Bachelor of Science degree from an accredited college or university in
fisheries, natural resources, environmental science, geography, hydrology, earth science, life
science, engineering, or other related fields of study.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- All applicants are subject to the Tribe’s Drug and Alcohol -Free Workplace Policy including pre-employment drug and alcohol screening.
- Valid Driver’s License in good standing, insurable on the Tribe’s insurance policy. Requires DMV 5-years driving history record.
- Employees will serve a 90-day probationary period.
- Physical Demands: Candidate must be able to bend and lift to 50 pounds, tolerate long periods of working under inclement conditions and possess a knowledge of safety.
- RRCBC personnel are employed on an “At-Will” basis.
Indian Preference Policy: Preference is given to qualified Indian candidates in accordance with the Indian Preference Act of 1934 (Title 25, USE Section 472)
The list of requirements, duties and responsibilities listed above is by no means a complete list. It is merely a general summary for the position described. Management reserves the right to revise or change this position description at any time.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $23.00 – $25.00 per hour
- Dental insurance
- Employee discount
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- Driver’s License (Preferred)
Willingness to travel:
- 25% (Preferred)
Work Location: One location