Business Unit / Group Function: Not defined
Area: General Management
Location: Open Location
Reference Id: REF18457N
Experience / Work Type: Executive / Permanent Employee
Closing Date: 06 December, 2021
Group Technical & Sustainability is responsible for designing and delivering the breakthrough outcome initiatives that will deliver next generation mining, which is safe, carbon-neutral, water-less, positive in biodiversity and where people thrive at work and in their communities. By re-imagining mining, we will drive the transformation of the mining industry, economies and communities, throughout the full lifecycle of the earth’s precious resources. T&S Sustainable Development embodies the values, courageous thinking and action required to drive the shape and scale of this transformation.
We are looking for a Head of Water Quality and Reporting within Group Technical & Sustainability. This is a Band 4 role, reporting to Group Head of T&S Office and Sustainable Development.Job Description:
The purpose of the role is to lead the Group-wide strategy for the management of water quality and reporting, driving effective management of related risks and enabling Anglo American to become a world-class leader in water quality and reporting practices.
· Initiate and lead the comprehensive analysis of global, regional and industry trends in water quality management, practices and developments, engaging with relevant industry leaders, to shape a strategy that drives sustainable step changes in Anglo American water quality management and reporting practices.
· Lead the development of the Water Quality Strategy and Policy, defining critical, mandatory water quality and water reporting standards, aligned to International Standards, Regulations and expectations, to support the management of key risks relating to water quality, including environmental geochemistry, and lead the effective deployment across the Group.
· Develop assurance processes, aligned to the three-line model, to ensure the policies and standards are appropriately applied, and specifically leading the 2nd line of assurance within T&S.
· Design, embed & sustain the system for real-time monitoring of water use and water quality across the Group.
· Advise and guide each site on the development of their water quality plans, ensuring they incorporate the latest best practices and innovation, are aligned to the Group Water Quality strategy and standards, are aligned to the Group Sustainable Mining plan and integrated with the Life of Asset plans.
· Lead the delivery of an effective water quality risk and performance management system, integrated with Operational Risk Management, ensuring accurate reporting of water quality and related water reporting metrics, enabling optimal decision making and accurate tracking against commitments and targets.
· Establish a high performing team, providing timely and constructive feedback as needed and ensuring appropriate development and career plans are in place to deliver on the vision and expectations set for the discipline.Qualifications:
· An undergraduate qualification (Bachelors / Honours degree or equivalent) in environmental management, equivalent engineering discipline or other relevant technical discipline.
· A postgraduate qualification (Masters / Doctoral degree or equivalent) in Environmental Management or a relevant technical discipline OR a proven track record of extensive practical experience in a role and context of similar complexity.
· Systematic, knowledge-based problem-solving approach and structured methodologies (such as root cause analysis and statistical analysis) to investigate risks and opportunities to create effective, value-add technical solutions.
· Specialist experience within a large global multi-commodity mining, or resources industry.
· Project management methods and practices, with management of global programs in a multicultural operating environment.
· Interpretation of benchmarks, identification of performance gaps and development of targeted, effective plans to achieve measurable operational improvements.
· Ability to predict and prepare for the impact of potential changes, decisions or outcomes on the behaviour of the workforce and stakeholders.
· Understanding and application of Water quality regulations and management and Environmental Geochemistry.
· People leadership within a technical environment, including the coordination of knowledge sharing across a discipline, managing workload and reviewing the work of others to ensure consistency with task requirements.
· People leadership within a technical environment, including the coordination of knowledge sharing across a discipline, managing workload and reviewing the work of others to ensure consistency with task requirements.Additional information:
Inclusion and Diversity
Anglo American is an equal opportunities employer. We are committed to promoting an inclusive and diverse workplace where we value and respect every colleague for who they are and provide equality of opportunity so that everyone can fulfil their potential.