Position: Communications and Social Media Manager
Organization: Water Docs / Ecologos
Location: Toronto or anywhere in southern Ontario
About Water Docs:
Water Docs, a program of Ecologos (ee-k?-l?-goss) is a network of 2000 – volunteers, advisors, supporters, friends – who drive 4 exceptional programs all aimed at reviving a sense of reverence for water, informing about what threatens water, and stirring action to protect water and the environment from the devastation of climate change.
Water Docs – Making waves for climate protection.
Water Docs was founded by Ecologos (ee-k?-l?-goss) who has been delivering environmental education and action programs for more than 20 years. Programs such as Water Docs Film Festival, Water Hour, Water Docs @ School Action Projects and Filmmaking for Students, Water Docs Where-You-Live Community Screenings and Stop the Mega Quarry, to name but a few. Underneath this programming has always been the question of how to touch people deeply enough that persistent, breakthrough behavioral change results. So, if you are social media savvy and have a passion for environmental issues, we’d love for you to join our team!
In this position, you will be responsible for all of Water Docs and its associated programs online communications content, with a specific focus on social media and e-newsletters. You will be responsible for managing and maintaining active social media accounts, crafting and sending regular e-newsletters, and creating other online material as needed.
You will be responsible for managing social media campaigns with the explicit goal of achieving fundraising targets and growing our network. You will be creating graphics, images, and other pieces of content as needed to help achieve these goals.
Water Docs has many community partner organizations that we regularly collaborate with and you will work with them often to create social media campaigns and offer social support to their causes.
We are also an ambitious organization and are looking to grow quickly and explore unique social media and fundraising ideas. If you want creative control over your communications plan, this job’s for you!
What You’ll Do:
1. Manage our networks
- Manage existing Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn accounts. This includes posting regularly (roughly 5 times per week) on all of our platforms.
- Exploit our use of video-based social networks (YouTube, Vimeo, Instagram video).
- We also expect that you engage with our networks, regularly interacting with our commenters, resharing posts that we are tagged in, liking and commenting on our followers’ content.
- Run social media ads, boost posts, and solicit influencers as required.
- Work alongside our Public Relations rep. to engage key media contacts.
- Run social media contests and giveaways as required or as inspired to.
- Provide monthly social media statistical reports to show growth across our networks.
2. Manage our E-Newsletter
- Research, create and send our bi-weekly E-Newsletter that includes updates from our organization, current environmental news, and climate-related events and action items.
- Create and send E-Blasts as needed. We send E-Blasts to our subscribers for special announcements or important information coming from the organization, like film festival passes going on sale, etc.
3. Create Content
- Write monthly blog posts about anything water or climate-related that interests you. You can also request blog posts from others within the organization.
- Create images, graphics and videos as needed for social media, the E-Newsletter and campaigns.
4. Support our Special Events and Fundraising Campaigns
- Water Docs has many special events and fundraising campaigns throughout the year including our annual film festival, Water Docs Where You Live Community Screenings, Outdoor Adventures Draw, #10for10 fundraising campaign, and more. You will be responsible for creating a social media strategy, mini-campaigns and media kits for all of these events to reach fundraising and exposure targets.
5. Pitch Ideas!
- You’re the communications expert, so we want to hear from you about new and exciting trends and ideas in the digital space. Do you have a campaign you’d like to run? Is there a new app we should try? Do you have a wild fundraising idea? We’re all ears!
- Minimum three years of communications, social media or online marketing work.
- Experience with Constant Contact, Buffer, Canva, a graphic design program like PhotoShop, Squarespace, Fundrazr, CanadaHelps, and video/audio editing software.
- You understand and are an active user of social media including Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube, Instagram, Twitter, blogs, etc.
- You have knowledge of social media statistics including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn and Google analytics.
- You have excellent English verbal and written communication skills; you possess excellent writing skills and the ability to create and manage content quickly.
- You have proven administration, coordination and organizational skills. Some experience with fundraising, event planning and outreach is also an asset.
- You have a familiarity with the non-profit world. Some knowledge of the environmental and film festival sectors is considered an asset.
- You are a reliable team player who is also able to work independently.
- You have an interest in, and enthusiasm for environmental issues and most especially water and climate change.
- Please provide a portfolio including samples of recent campaigns or projects demonstrating your skills and qualifications for this position.
HOW TO APPLY: Send your cover letter and resume including links to your portfolio work to [email protected] with a subject line Communications and Social Media Manager application.