The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is a non-profit environmental advocacy organization. We use law, science, and the support of 3.1 million members and online activists to protect the planet’s wildlife and wild places and to ensure the rights of all people to clean air, clean water, and healthy communities. NRDC was founded in 1970 and our staff helped write some of America’s bedrock environmental laws, including the Clean Water Act, and many of the implementing regulations. Today, our staff of more than 700 lawyers, scientists, economists, policy advocates, communications experts, and others work across the United States and internationally from our offices in New York; Washington, D.C.; Chicago; Santa Monica; San Francisco; Bozeman, Montana; and Beijing.
NRDC is seeking a Senior Project Manager to work with the Environmental Law & Governance Project (ELP) team in our Beijing office to promote China’s environmental and climate governance in support of NRDC’s strategic goals of greening China and improving public health. The Senior Project Manager will be based in Beijing and a member of the China Program. He/she shall report to the Director of China ELP.
- Develop and implement strategies to improve environmental and climate law implementations and governance mechanisms in China.
- Work with senior staff in fundraising, grant management and reporting.
- Lead the implementation of cooperative projects on the development of China’s environmental laws and implementation, and provide technical assistance to Chinese stakeholders through the introduction of international experience and the assessment of their possible implementation to China.
- Research and advocate for effective environmental governance schemes, environmental regulatory approaches, and compliance mechanisms; write papers and blogs, organize events, get in contact and communicate with policy makers, etc.
- Maintain strong connections and build ties with project partners and contacts in government agencies, academia, NGOs, and other areas.
- Represent NRDC in events such as conferences, press interviews, and prepare other communication materials.
- Carry out project monitoring and evaluation, including preparing reports.
- A substantive background in Chinese and international environmental governance and management.
- Excellent research, writing, communication, and analytical skills.
- Fluency in oral and written English and Chinese.
- Ability to work well with colleagues; strong sense of team spirit.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and prioritize tasks to meet project deadlines.
- Master’s degree in environmental management, environmental governance, environmental economics or related fields.
- Above 10 years of relevant work experience.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to nonprofit/public interest advocacy.
- Commitment to NRDC’s values and mission.
NRDC is committed to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion, both in our work and in our workplace. We believe that celebrating and actively welcoming a diversity of voices and perspectives is essential to solving the planet’s most pressing environmental problems, and we encourage applications from candidates whose identities have been historically under-represented in the environmental movement. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a supportive working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with skills and experience. Salary minimum is ￥300,000; salary midpoint is ￥375,000. Salary may be higher as appropriate for the selected candidate, with internal equity considerations taken into account.
To apply, please visit www.nrdc.org/careers and upload your resume and cover letter through our online portal. We would like you to upload any additional papers or project work that you think would showcase your abilities. Due to the high volume of applications NRDC receives, we will only contact candidates we would like to progress through the search process. Please no phone calls, emails, faxes, or in-person resume drop-offs. Please reference where you saw this posting. NRDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you are having technical difficulty while applying, or if you are a person with a disability and you need assistance applying online, please reach out to iCIMS Customer Care by dialing 1-800-889-4422.
For further information about NRDC, please visit www.nrdc.org.