Helvetas is an organization specialized in development cooperation and humanitarian response, anchored in Switzerland. Our vision is a just world in which all men and women determine the course of their lives in dignity and security, using environmental resources in a sustainable manner.
For our Water Food and Climate Team based in Zurich and Bern we are looking for a goal-oriented and pragmatic individual to join our organization as per February 1, 2022 or upon agreement.
The Water Food and Climate team provides advisory services to Helvetas programmes and to external clients. In our work on climate resilient development, the advisory team focusses on the thematic fields of climate change adaptation and mitigation, disaster risk management, sustainable management of natural resources and biodiversity. We integrate climate and disaster risks in water as well as in food and nutrition, and the linkages between development cooperation and humanitarian response. With its work, the team aims at contributing to increased climate and disaster resilience of people living in developing countries.
YOUR MAIN TASKS
- Provide technical and strategic demand-based advice to Helvetas country programmes and projects and external clients regarding climate change adaptation and climate resilient development
- Lead the development of advocacy positions on climate change and contribute to advocacy and policy dialogues on climate adaptation and climate resilient development in the Swiss and global context
- Contribute to thematic development on climate change adaptation, which involves the development and dissemination of methods, tools and guidelines, staff training and partnership development
- Contribute to capacity development for a wide range of internal and external clients
- Acquisition of advisory mandates and support fundraising activities related to climate change adaptation
- Represent Helvetas in events and networks, both in Switzerland and internationally.
- Master’s degree in environmental sciences, environmental economics, agriculture, biology, geography, engineering, or related discipline
- At least six years working experience in development cooperation and/or consultancy with assignments on climate change adaptation, including at least three years continuous long-term assignments in the South or East, and short-term advisory experience for different clients
- Proven expertise in the following:
- climate risk assessment
- development and implementation of adaptation and resilience building actions from community to national level and in sectors as water, agriculture, ecosystems, and infrastructure
- climate policy and planning, from local to global level
- climate finance mechanisms
- advocacy with sound political analysis
- Experience in climate services for agriculture and disaster risk sectors, resilient food systems and ecosystem-based adaptation would be assets
- Experience in advocacy and policy dialogue on climate change, both in Switzerland as well as in global spaces
- Strong professional and thematic networks in Switzerland and beyond
- Excellent analytical and conceptual skills, proven advisory competences and strong experience in capacity development
- Good communicator and facilitator, able to work in teams and independently
- Experience and successful track record in acquiring advisory mandates and/or projects
- Excellent spoken and written English, German and French skills; Spanish or Portuguese skills would be additional assets.
We offer you an interesting opportunity in a motivated team with attractive working conditions. You can expect working in a multicultural setting at the centre of Zurich or Bern with opportunities to travel to our partner countries.
We look forward to receiving your complete application including motivation letter, work certificates and diplomas by December 12, 2021 via our online recruiting portal. For additional information, please contact Ms Bernita Doornbos, Head Water, Food and Climate (+41 (0)44 368 65 28) or visit our website www.helvetas.org.