Hours: 37.5 hours.
Starting salary: Grade 2 £17,700 to £20,000 per annum (depending on experience).
The Westcountry Rivers Trust is an environmental charity that works across the South West to improve our rivers for the benefit of all. We work across a huge range of projects to deliver change both in our rivers and on the land that they drain.
Westcountry Rivers Trust brings together stakeholder and interest groups in catchments across the South West to develop and deliver catchment action plans that will bring meaningful and lasting benefits for people and the environment.
We are looking to recruit two passionate and technically capable individuals with a good knowledge or background in the environment or conservation sectors, to join the Evidence & Engagement Team at Westcountry Rivers Trust as Junior Evidence and Engagement Officers.
The main focus of these roles will be to provide evidence and engagement support to the Trust’s on-going work in using a whole ecosystem approach to plan and deliver nature based solutions for catchment management and river improvement initiatives across the river catchments of the South West and beyond. The Evidence & Engagement Team is instrumental in ensuring that the Trust is delivering the right measures, in the right places, and in monitoring and reporting the impacts of our work. Effective engagement and communication of our work is also an important part of the role, to ensure that key stakeholders, both external and internal at WRT, are well informed and engaged.
We are looking for technically competent candidates who are passionate and knowledgeable about the environment and who also have a keen interest in engagement and the communication of scientific data. Training will be provided on the job.
Responsibilities are likely to include:
• Fieldwork and data collection, of physical and chemical parameters, as well as biological data
• Data inputting, analysis, presentation and visualisation using a variety of software including excel and ArcGIS, as well as specialist models such as SCIMAP
• Report writing
• Assistance in delivery of engagement activities including workshops and events
• Assistance in delivery of Westcountry CSI, our rapidly growing citizen science programme
• Delivery of other types of project work, as and when required
• A good knowledge of, or background in, the environmental or conservation sectors
• An undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline
• A demonstrable knowledge of approaches to landscape-scale conservation, ecosystem services, nature based solutions, catchment management and river restoration
• Experience in data collection, analysis and presentation
• Good communication skills
• A passion for protecting and restoring the natural environment
• A post-graduate degree in a relevant discipline
• Experience in environmental modelling
• Experience of using Geographical Information Systems
• Ability to produce high quality, visually engaging science communications materials
• Experience in environmental and biological monitoring
There will be the opportunity to work from home in this role and to work flexible hours.
Travel across the Westcountry for fieldwork, events and meetings will be required in this role.
Apply by midnight Sunday 12th December 2021 by CV and Covering Letter to: https://hr.breathehr.com/v/junior-evidence-and-engagement-19774
Interviews will be held online via Microsoft Teams in January.
For queries about this role or the application process please contact [email protected]