Scientific Specialist, Hydrology
Illinois State Water Survey
Prairie Research Institute
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The Illinois State Water Survey (ISWS) is part of the Prairie Research Institute at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, which is centrally located between Chicago, St. Louis, and Indianapolis. Our research and service programs provide citizens, industries, and government agencies at all levels with timely, science-based information and analyses necessary to manage our water resources wisely for economic development and a sustainable environment. Learn more at go.illinois.edu/PRIjobs.
ISWS is seeking a Scientific Specialist, Hydrology to conduct research and gather information from water and wastewater related sources, evaluate research data quality, develop written summaries based on research, and develop scientific content for water/wastewater operator website.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or veteran status. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
• Research , gather, read, review, and edit, technical materials for a water/wastewater operator website.
• Maintain associated records by entering data, evaluating information quality, and developing scientific content for the web, sometimes through interviews and researching water related topics.
• Develop and create technical summaries of web-based documents, media, and tools related to drinking water systems, wastewater systems, and operators, written clearly and easily understood, of useful documents, media, and tools on other websites to be used for a website and accompanying database by stakeholders, professionals, and the general public.
• Assist with web-based content development related to water and wastewater topics of special interest.
• Serve as primary contact with water and wastewater industry professionals.
• Conduct outreach via phone and email to stakeholders in the water industry.
• Provide editorial expertise and manage data entered into the internal database.
• Collaborate with staff on focused special projects related to the development of content for a water operator and private well owner websites
• Manage a web-based national events calendar.
• Keep abreast of development in this discipline.
• Perform other duties as needed in order to further the mission and goals of PRI.
Education: BS degree in a physical science-related field, or in Journalism or Writing. Alternate degree fields will be considered/accepted depending on the nature and depth of the experience as it relates to this position.
Experience: Experience with technical/scientific writing, MS suite.
Knowledge requirements: A background in writing, knowledge of the web and social media, ability to interact and ask questions of water professionals; good verbal and written communication skills; ability to work independently and in a team environment. Effective, personal relations, collaboration, organizational, teamwork, and leadership skills. Demonstrated ability to perform effectively in a diverse and fast-paced work environment consisting of multiple and changing priorities with stringent deadlines, under minimal supervision. Attention to detail, sound judgment, and strong conflict resolution skills. Proficiency in commonly-employed software and databases.
Preferred: BS degree in a water, geology, geography , or environmental field. One year related research and/or field work with hydrology.
The work of this position takes place in an office setting. The work is sedentary and involves remaining in a stationary position for extended periods of time working at a computer, using a keyboard and mouse, and using repetitive hand motions.
This is a regular full-time academic professional appointment, renewable annually based upon satisfactory progress in the position and continued funding. The starting date is negotiable and salary is commensurate with experience and skills.
Please complete your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload a cover letter, CV/resume, and the contact information for three professional references must be received by December 7th 2021. Interviews may be conducted before the closing date; however, no hiring decision will be made until after that date. All requested information must be submitted for your application to be considered.
For further information regarding application procedures, you may contact Jon Freiman at [email protected] or 217-244-2687.
University of Illinois faculty, staff and students are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are not able to receive the vaccine for medical or religious reasons, you may seek approval for an exemption in accordance with applicable University processes.
University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. Convictions are not a bar to employment. As a qualifying federal contractor, the University of Illinois System uses E-Verify to verify employment eligibility. The University of Illinois System requires candidates selected for hire to disclose any documented finding of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment and to authorize inquiries to current and former employers regarding findings of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment. For more information, visit Policy on Consideration of Sexual Misconduct in Prior Employment
College Name or Administrative Unit: NP
Title: Scientific Specialist, Hydrology (156649)
Open Date: 11/23/2021
Close Date: 12/07/2021
Organization Name: IL State Water Survey