Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? The World Bank Group is one of the largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries; a unique global partnership of five institutions dedicated to ending extreme poverty and promoting shared prosperity. With 189 member countries and more than 120 offices worldwide, we work with public and private sector partners, investing in groundbreaking projects and using data, research, and technology to develop solutions to the most urgent global challenges. For more information, visit www.worldbank.org.
The Environment, Natural Resources and Blue Economy Global Practice (ENB GP) is located within the World Bank’s Sustainable Development Practice Group. We provide expertise, technical assistance and financing to help low- and middle-income countries manage land, sea and freshwater natural resources in a sustainable way to help create jobs, improve livelihoods, enhance ecosystem services, decrease pollution and increase resilience to climate change!
The SEAE1 unit, covers three country units (China & Mongolia, Indonesia & Timor-Leste, and Papua New Guinea & Pacific Islands). The SEAE1 operational portfolio includes 23 active projects in China, Indonesia, and the Pacific covering climate change, sustainable landscapes, forestry, fisheries, blue economy, pollution management and solid waste. This position would work in several CMUs.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The selected candidate will report to the EAP SEAE1 Practice Manager based in Singapore.
SEAE1 is seeking to recruit an Environmental Specialist to be based at the Singapore World Bank office. Working in close collaboration with colleagues from ENB and other units, the Environmental Specialist’s responsibilities will be to support or lead ENB operational and analytical work in SEAE1 countries. S/he will work according to an annual work plan, adjusted periodically as necessary.
The Environmental Specialist’s responsibilities will include the following:
• Lead and/or contribute to design of projects on forests and landscape management, forest governance, climate change, blue economy, circular economy and/or pollution management, including through leading and/or supporting preparation of detailed technical and operational design elements.
• Provide technical leadership on ASA/dialogue for policy reforms in at least one of the above thematic areas.
• Working with key government agencies and related stakeholders, support and/or lead supervision of environment-related projects, consistent with the project and legal agreements including monitoring of progress consistent with agreed Annual Work Plan, Procurement Plan and Operational Manuals.
• Identify and manage grant funding for priority operational and ASA tasks.
• Working closely with the SEAE1 PM, support quality review of SEAE1 operational documents.
• Facilitate and maintain effective communication and coordination with Singaporean local partners, including government, civil society, academic/research institutions, the private sector, IFC, and other development partners.
• Lead/support capacity building/knowledge sharing opportunities for key partners and clients, mobilizing strategic technical assistance from within and outside the Bank’s global network.
• Produce input for and present major/complex reports, including the supervision, coordination and quality control of consultant reports.
• Actively seek to learn World Bank Group procedures, and contribute to their improvement, by participating in training offered, by developing a personal training program, keeping abreast of research and development knowledge in the environment and natural resources sector.
• Advanced degree (PhD or Masters) in environment or natural resource economics, environment or natural resource management, environmental science or engineering, agriculture, forest management or related field is required.
• A minimum of 5 years of full-time demonstrated relevant professional experience required.
• Proven ability to build effective working relations across sectors and disciplines.
• Experience in helping build institutional capacity, e.g. among state or non-state partners.
• Ability to translate analytical work into policy advice and operational, actionable, recommendations.
• Ability to work independently with limited supervision is required.
• Excellent English language skill (writing, speaking, listening and reading).
• Strong interpersonal, facilitation and communication skills.
• Willingness to travel extensively, including in rural and remote areas.
• Experience with Project Management.
• Experience with World Bank operational procedures.
• Experience working with a wide range of stakeholders including NGOs, international organizations, development partners, and indigenous people and local communities.
Applicants must have the right to live and work in Singapore.
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.