Save the Children Lebanon is implementing a large and varied Shelter and WASH program to meet the needs of the refugees and host communities in Lebanon. The WASH Officer will be based primarily in Save the Children’s office in Zahle and will manage the daily technical planning, supervision, monitoring and reporting of Save the Children’s Water Sanitation and Hygiene program in the Bekaa area in addition to technical monitoring and supervision, and providing technical advice to partners, contractors, technicians, beneficiaries and communities. The role holder will participate in the activities related to WASH in Informal Settlements.
In the event of a major humanitarian emergency, the role holder will be expected to work outside the normal role profile and be able to vary working hours accordingly.
Level 3: the post holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight)
SCOPE OF ROLE:
- Reports to: Shelter & WASH Coordinator
- Staff reporting to this post: WASH Technicians
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
- Plan, prepare and oversee the implementation of components of the Water Sanitation and Hygiene activities in Bekaa, ensuring the quality programme.
- Represent and support the Shelter & WASH Coordinator and/or Manager in meetings (internal and external).
- Ensure appropriate evaluation, implementation and monitoring systems are in place.
- Supervise, manage and support staff (as described above) in all the process by solving the problems that could occur with beneficiaries.
- Be responsible for any evaluation and assessment at field level (with partners or internal to SC on WASH or multi-disciplinary approach).
- Lead the negotiation of rental-agreements with landlords, where appropriate.
- Liaises with the WASH Program Manager to plan and implement water and sanitation activities in the field (Assessments, Distributions, Sessions, Supervision).
- Follow up the construction and rehabilitation work of different water and sanitation facilities with the help of Shelter and WASH Coordinator.
- Conduct Field Assessments to support the WASH technicians.
- Preparation of weekly work plan in accordance with the implementation plan.
Team Management and Capacity Building
- Identify staff needs.
- In collaboration with the Shelter & WASH Program Manager, Coordinator and Field Manager, support the recruitment of appropriate personnel for the WASH Team.
- In collaboration with Shelter & WASH Program Manager and Coordinator, identify capacity building requirements for the WASH Team members. Deliver technical trainings and one-on-one mentoring.
- Supervise and coach all direct reports.
- Ensure WASH Team members use weekly work plans and reports.
- Conduct trainings for relevant local NGOs and partners.
- Maintain working partnerships and good communication with representatives of SC WASH partners and programmes.
- Build and maintain relationships with local municipalities and community leaders.
- Build and maintain partnership with local NGOs.
- Schedule and organize meetings with implementing partners to discuss progress and challenges.
- Represent SC at regional cluster/coordination meetings (e.g. Distribution, Shelter, WASH etc) and other meetings and forums and take leading role to strengthen WASH aspects related to child protection and education.
- Ensure that programme interventions continue to be informed by and integrated with other core sectors of SC, such as protection, education, health & Nutrition and food security & livelihoods.
- Ensure activities are developed in partnership with relevant local authorities and other key stakeholders, including local partners (where present) and aim to establish/strengthen processes and mechanisms at local, district, and national levels. Promote the participation of children in all aspects of the response where possible and appropriate.
- Contribute to the development of case studies for the purpose of reporting, advocacy and media efforts.
- Comply with Save the Children policies and practice with respect to child protection, code of conduct, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies and procedures.
- Perform such other responsibilities as agreed with your line management.
- Degree in the engineering or similar fields.
- Fluency in Arabic and English
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
- Minimum 2 years of experience in the Shelter & WASH sector.
- Experience in project management and team management.
- Experience in an international and local NGOs (especially during the emergency phase).
- Experience in working on shelter / WASH and construction/rehabilitation projects in emergencies and post emergencies.
- English skilled (fluent in speaking and writing).
- Computer knowledge (proficient in word and excel).
- Experience in the social/humanitarian field.
- Experience in community mobilisation and conducting outreach activities.
- Ability to maintain consistent high standards of professional behaviour and achievement when working independently and as part of a team.
- Able to manage stress and pressure.
Ability to take initiative where appropriate to deal with difficulties encountered in daily work.
Ability to adapt or change priorities according to the changing situation within a mission or the organization itself.
Excellent contact and diplomacy to manage relationship in tensed situation.
Additional job responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse
Safeguarding our Staff
The post holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI anti-harassment policy
Health and Safety
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures
Employee Status: Fixed Term
Closing Date: Dec 1, 2021