The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) is a technical, knowledge-based organization aimed at moving forward policy dialogues and advocating for the eradication of hunger, food insecurity and malnutrition; the elimination of poverty, advancing economic and social progress for all, as well as the sustainable management and utilization of natural resources, including land, water, air, climate and genetic resources for the benefit of present and future generations.
FAO Bangladesh assists the Government of Bangladesh to formulate policies, programmes and projects to address the root causes of hunger and malnutrition, develop the agricultural, fisheries and forestry sectors, and utilize environmental and natural resources in a sustainable way.
The fisheries sector is vital for Bangladesh’s food supply and food security and are central to the livelihoods of millions of fishers and stakeholders along the production chain. The sector has emerged as a major growth driver, contributing close to 4 percent of Gross Domestic Product (GDP) for the last decade, employing around 11 percent of the population and contributes up to 60 percent of animal protein. Recently the Government Bangladesh entered into a financing agreement with the World Bank to implement programmes and activities on marine fisheries management, through the Sustainable Coastal and Marine Fisheries Management Project (SCMFP), whose objective is to increase coastal and marine fisheries’ contribution to the economy, poverty reduction, and environmental sustainability.
Considering the complex nature of the project, and its multifaceted and wide-ranging activities, professionals and contractors from a wide range of fields of expertise in science, information technology, economics, management and social sciences are required. The FAO representation in Bangladesh has therefore been engaged by the Department of Fisheries (DoF) to provide technical support to enhance the Marine Fisheries Information Management System (M-FIMS) which relate to three closely linked packages entitled:
- Design of Catch and Effort Monitoring Systems and Online Electronic Registration and Licensing System.
- Capacity Enhancement and Long-term Quality Assurance for Stock Assessment and Survey.
- Support to Acoustic and Oceanographic Survey in Bangladesh Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ).
The Technical Assistance packages on Design of Catch and Effort Monitoring Systems and Online Electronic Registration and Licensing System, and the Capacity Enhancement and Long-term Quality Assurance for Stock Assessment and Survey have already been signed between the FAO and the Government of Bangladesh, while the Technical Assistance on Support to Acoustic and Oceanographic Survey in Bangladesh Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) is still under negotiation.
The International Catch and Effort Expert will work under the overall administrative supervision of the FAO Representative in Bangladesh, under the technical supervision of the Assistant FAO Representative, the Fisheries Portfolio Manager, the National Operations Officer and the Project Technical Advisor, and in consultation and collaboration with the SCMFP, Department of Fisheries (DoF), under the Ministry of Fisheries and Livestock.
The International Catch and Effort Expert will ensure that international standards, best practices and approaches are reflected in the design, implementation and monitoring of Technical Assistance related to the design the Catch and Effort Monitoring Systems, and capacity building on DoF maintaining the systems and undertaken Catch and Effort assessment.
Tasks and responsibilities
The International Catch and Effort Expert main tasks include the following, but other related works may be assigned:
- In liaison with the Project Technical Advisor and DoF, contribute to the preparation a detailed work plan for implementation of Design of Catch and Effort Monitoring Systems, Online Electronic Registration and Licensing System Technical Assistant package.
- Organize and undertake consultations with DoF and other relevant stakeholders to identify institutional capacities and data needs for catch and effort monitoring systems
- Review global standards and identify adaptable systems that would suit Bangladesh data policies and enhance its existing catch and effort monitoring system
- Liaise with Fisheries Information Systems Expert and draft functional specifications on catch and monitoring system with description of required changes or upgrades in the existing system in compliance with the Fisheries Information Management Systems (FIMS) conceptual structure.
- Review and specify suitable software tools, platforms, and frameworks for the development of the catch and effort module to ensure integration and coherence with FIMS in liaison with the Fisheries Information System Expert.
- Advise on the modalities and support DoF staff on development of marine fisheries catch and effort data collection and management system and its implementation.
- Develop training modules and train DoF staff on managing, curating, summarizing and publishing fisheries statistics and mandated public fisheries information, in liaison with the Registration and Licensing consultant
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- University degree in Statistics, Fisheries, or Environmental sciences.
- At least 12 years of progressive experience in fisheries monitoring, data management and systems in developing countries.
- Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of one of the other FAO languages (French, Spanish, Arabic, Chinese, Russian) for Consultants. For PSA.SBS the knowledge of only one language might be required.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Proven experience in preparation of technical documents on fisheries monitoring, management and statistical systems in both national and international settings.
- Work experience in systems development for fisheries monitoring, management or scientific research.
- Experience in providing development guidance, training and or technical assistance related to fisheries data and statistics.
- Track record in conducting similar assignments in more than one country, including in developing countries.
- Must be familiar with knowledge management systems, methods and tools related to natural resources management (ecosystem, biodiversity, fisheries, aquaculture, etc.);
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency
- FAO does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, processing)
- Please note that FAO will only consider academic credentials or degrees obtained from an educational institution recognized in the IAU/UNESCO list
- Please note that FAO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed at http://www.whed.net/
- For more information, visit the FAO employment website
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, visit the recruitment website at Jobs at FAO and complete your online profile. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Only applications received through the recruitment portal will be considered.
We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline
If you need help please contact: [email protected]
FAO IS A NON-SMOKING ENVIRONMENT