The Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) works to improve lives in Latin America and the Caribbean. Through financial and technical support for countries working to reduce poverty and inequality, IDB helps improve health and education, and advance infrastructure. It aims to achieve development in a sustainable, climate-friendly way. IDB is today the leading source of development financing for Latin America and the Caribbean. It provides loans, grants, and technical assistance; and it conducts extensive research. IDB maintains a strong commitment to achieving measurable results and the highest standards of increased integrity, transparency, and accountability.
The Environmental Safeguards Unit (ESG) of the IDB is responsible for the assessment and management of environmental and social impacts and risks in Bank operations. The Unit also develops and disseminates knowledge to enhance the management of impacts and risks in such a way as to benefit clients and stakeholders and to foster sustainable development in the region.
ESG is seeking a highly motivated environmental safeguards specialist to join our group of highly qualified environmental and social professionals to assist in identifying and managing environmental sustainability risks and enhancing sustainability outcomes of its operations. The selected candidate will lead the ESG Group in charge of the development of new approaches, guidance, and knowledge products to assist the Bank and its clients to manage environmental and social risks in accordance with IDB safeguard policies and international best practice standards. S/he will lead research and training efforts related to safeguard practices and standards for the enhancement of sustainability outcomes of bank operations and to contribute to the development of new global benchmarks in responding to and managing environmental and social sustainability risks. The selected candidate will also lead efforts to engage licensing and enforcement agencies and other relevant stakeholders to support the strengthening and use of country safeguard systems.
- Provide expert leadership for the development and implementation of best practices and innovative approaches related to sustainability risk management.
- Lead the prioritization and development of policies, manuals, tools and knowledge products, including:
– Leading the development/update of the Unit’s operational manual, sector and thematic studies, lessons learned, guidelines, guidance notes and products to ensure consistency in the interpretation and implementation of environmental and social safeguard policies.
– Drafting and contributing to the review and update of IDB’s policies and strategies to mainstream environmental and social sustainability into bank operations; Identifying policy developments and leading ESG process for response.
– Leading process to define and report on key metrics and indicators
– Leading development of tools and systems.
– Identifying and prioritizing knowledge needs of the unit; Leading and providing oversight to the development of knowledge products and the collection of lessons learned.
– Establishing and implementing quality assurance process for knowledge products and their management
- Develop and implement capacity building program for Bank executing agencies, key stakeholders, and staff, through e-learning modules, workshops, etc
- Contribute to knowledge sharing and harmonization efforts through conferences, external knowledge management publications and others
- Supervise and assist practice networks and their leaders in specific areas of knowledge, including social safeguards, disaster risk management, among others.
- Provide direction and lead the design and implementation of a program to strengthen the use of country safeguard systems, including:
– Building and maintaining relationships with key partners (licensing and enforcement agencies responsible for safeguards in the LAC region, other IDB departments), directing a regional dialogue.
– Liaising with other development Banks, bilateral agencies, and civil society through regional policy dialogues.
– Liaising with other Bank units on ESG’s role on implementing country system strategies
– Providing a framework and guidance for the use of country systems in specific operations, including e- learning programs and communities of practice
– Mobilizing resources on use of country systems, and coordinating with other heads of ESG the assignment of some specialist to support the program
– Leading coordination in ESG on the implementation of use of country safeguard systems in projects.
– Developing and coordinating the application of tools, such us equivalence and acceptability tools
– Monitoring performance and conducting reviews; managing information and data associated with country safeguard systems
- Provide supervision to team members. Coach and mentor staff and consultants to build technical expertise.
Education Master’s degree or equivalent in environmental science or environmental management, or related field; a PHD is desirable.
Experience At least ten (10) years of demonstrated expert leadership in environmental impact assessment /mitigation of infrastructure, policy development and implementation and engagement with government agencies. Demonstrated interest and experience in knowledge management, in preparation/delivery of technical guidelines and training programs concerning environmental management and planning, technical issues and the Bank’s safeguard policies. Excellent capacity building knowledge and expertise.
Languages Proficiency in at least two of the Bank’s official languages (English, Spanish, French, and Portuguese). Demonstrated excellence in analytical, writing and communication skills.
- Sector Expertise: Applies environmental/safeguards expert knowledge and expertise to the assessment and management of safeguard issues in one or more key environmental sectors with the highest ESG exposures: transport; water and sanitation; energy; rural development and agriculture; tourism; and/or urban development, where he/she acts as a leading authority, as well as expertise working across multiple sectors. Acts as an in house expert on environmental sector driven projects and policy issues; provides advice on how to engage, structure, mitigate risk, and optimize impact in highly complex projects. Generates new knowledge in sector approaches that leads to new global standards or tools.
- Thematic Expertise: Acts as an in house expert and leading authority on one or more key ESG thematic area(s): climate change; hazardous materials; pollution sources, prevention and abatement; climate mitigation and GHG emissions; and/or habitats and biodiversity.
- Technical Sector Dialogue: Engages in policy dialogue based on solid knowledge of the sector, development challenges of client countries, and IDB policies, strategies and guidelines.
- Sector Development:Takes actions to promote sector priorities based on country and regional needs and key IDB priorities.
- Economic and Sector Work: Develops and applies economic and/or sector analytic work to support the preparation of country, sector and regional strategies and country dialogue, loan operations and technical assistance programs.
- Project Analysis and Design: Conceptualizes, prepares and participates in the approval of projects and programs (loans and technical cooperation), in coordination with other team members and the respective authorities.
- Change Management: Formulates and implements integrated change proposals to contribute to sector modernization and transformation in borrowing countries.
- Project Supervision: Effectively supports the execution of projects and programs to maximize their results.
- Monitoring and Evaluation:Designs and implements effective monitoring and evaluation methodologies for projects and programs.
- Knowledge Management and Dissemination: Effectively shares and disseminates economic/sector knowledge and learning experience to enhance the relevance of the IDB to borrowing countries and the region.
- Collaboration, Teamwork and Inclusion: Works cooperatively with others independent of background (e.g., gender, ethnic origin, religion, disability, sexual orientation, background, perspective) or organizational role, and takes a team-based and inclusive approach to projects and decision making.
- Innovation and Creativity: Develops imaginative ideas and solutions through creativity, experimentation and critical thinking. Develops innovative approaches to enhance the environmental and social sustainability of environmentally sensitive and complex projects.
- Communication and Influence: Communicates effectively and leverages relationships and strategies to influence others.
- Client Focus: Understands client needs and provides services that meet their expectations for quality and performance; meets the Bank’s expectations for ethical behavior.
- Developing People and Teams to Deliver Results: Builds talent and capability inside the organization through coaching, mentoring, training, developmental assignments and knowledge sharing.
- Promoting Diversity and Inclusion: Improve and ensure a diverse environment and actively work to build, coach and empower teams with diverse background (e.g. gender, ethnic origin, disability, sexual orientation, background, perspective).
The IDB offers a competitive benefits and compensation package.
The IDB is committed to diversity and inclusion and to providing equal opportunities in employment. We embrace diversity on the basis of gender, age, education, national origin, ethnic origin, race, disability, sexual orientation, religion, and HIV/AIDs status. We encourage women, Afro-descendants and persons of indigenous origins to apply.