The EIB, the European Union’s bank, is seeking for its Projects Directorate (PJ) – Environment & Natural Resources Department (ENR) – Water Security & Resilience Division (WSR) at its headquarters in Luxembourg: TRAINEE
Duration: 5 months (fixed start date: 01st March / April 2022)
(With possible extension up to 6 months if required by University)
Please note that, as marked on our Webpage, only applications from nationals of the Member States of the European Union, as well as citizens from countries with which EU accession negotiations have started, can be considered (Albania, Montenegro, North Macedonia, Serbia and Turkey).
Please note that you are requested to limit your applications to a maximum of three traineeship publications. We will only consider and retain the first three applications submitted.
Disclaimer: In the context of the Coronavirus outbreak, the Bank is monitoring the situation in all its locations carefully, duly taking into account national measures. These measures may imply restrictions regarding the performance of this traineeship, including that the traineeship may take place remotely. We will keep you informed of any changes or measures taken during recruitment process.
Objective of the traineeship
As a trainee, you will support the economists of the Projects Directorate in enhancing the economic appraisal of water, sanitation and flood protection projects, by contributing to a research on the quantification of benefits to be considered in the CBA (Cost Benefit Analysis) of investments in the sector.
Under the guidance of the economists in the Environment and Natural Resources Department of the Projects Directorate, you shall:
- prepare a review of economic analysis methods used for water sector projects financed by EIB during the past five years, based on the Bank’s internal records
- perform a literature review of the valuation of economic benefits of water, sanitation and flood protection projects
- collect available references, case studies and estimates of benefits and develop a database based on the outcome of your research. This database should be a user friendly and adaptive tool that can be enriched as new evidence becomes available on the topic.
- help develop models for CBA of a limited number of investment project types.
Academic qualifications and professional skills
- Final year of studies or University degree, preferably in Economics, Environmental Economics or a related field;
- Excellent analytical and synthesis skills;
- Excellent knowledge of written and spoken English. Knowledge of other EU language would be an advantage;
- Excellent knowledge of standard Microsoft Office tools (Word, PowerPoint, Excel);
- Good knowledge of the principles of the economic appraisal of projects would be considered an asset.
Find out more about EIB core competencies here
By applying for this position you acknowledge the importance of maintaining the security and integrity of the Information of the EIB Group. In case of selection for the position you agree to comply with all measures (policies, controls, document classification and management) implemented by the EIB Group to prevent unauthorized disclosure of any information or any damage to the EIB Group reputation.
We are an equal opportunity employer, who believes that diversity is good for our people and our business. As such, we promote the inclusion of suitably qualified and experienced staff without regard to their gender, age, racial or ethnic origin, religion or beliefs, sexual orientation/identity, or disability (**).
(**) We particularly welcome applications from persons with disabilities.
Your application may be used for another campaign.
Please note that deadline for application is on the 3rd December 2021.
More information on our EIB Traineeship Programme and Provisions for In-service training can be consulted on our EIB website; https://www.eib.org/en/about/careers/categories/traineeship-and-graduate.htm