World Vision is a child-focused Christian humanitarian organization implementing development programmes in 29 Districts of Rwanda. Our interventions are currently reaching more than 1.5 million people.
World Vision Rwanda seeks to hire a highly-qualified, dedicated and experienced national for the role of WASH and Health Technical Program Manager. This critical position will be based at Head Office in Kigali.
Purpose of the position:
The job holder will provide overall leadership in Water, Sanitation & Hygiene (WASH) and Health for the National Office, ensuring alignment with Regional and Global Technical Sector strategies, to include advocacy, MEAL and integration with other Technical Programs and functional areas. Provides guidance to field staff for quality technical sector programming implementation. Determines National Office WASH and Health sector capacity gaps and develop capacity building plan with regional assistance. Seeks opportunities for WASH and Health sector implementation research, and communicates learnings from programming. Maps donors, understands their technical expectations, pre-positions the National Office for grants bids and leads the design and development of proposals. Strong and regular external engagement with technical sector stakeholders in the country. Maintains situation awareness of potential emergencies and ensures readiness for sector response.
The major responsibilities include:
Technical Leadership and management: 30%
- Provide leadership in the designing and adaptation of the WASH sector under Integrated WASH and Health Technical Program
- Advise on implementation of approved WASH and health project models
- Accountable to assess and track quality of implementation and alignment to standards, government policies and Technical Program Detailed Implementation Plans.
- Provide technical leadership in the design and performance of water supply systems, ensuring alignment with national and global Technical Sector strategies.
- Provide technical support to WASH teams in all projects sites, including feasibility studies and evaluations, recommendation of appropriate technologies and works supervision.
- Support the country office to develop typical engineering designs, BoQs, cost estimates and specifications for commonly implemented WASH infrastructure, in line with international and country standards
- Conduct activities to assess quality in the field, solicit community and stakeholder feedback
- In collaboration with the finance unit, ensure planning and budgeting, project funding, expenditures and process are aligned and operating smoothly.
Monitoring, Accountability and Innovation 20%
- Work with the MEAL function to ensure quality programming, innovative designs, monitoring, evaluation, reflection, learning and reporting of all projects in the WASH program
- Promote research, documentation and scaling up of best practices
- Ensure the development of the WASH capacity to focus strategically on initiatives which generate high quality programing leading to measurable and sustainable development
- Ensure proper management and stewardship of donor and organizational resources
- Ensure that findings and recommendations from various accountability mechanisms such as Peer Review, Operational and Finance Audits, Program evaluations, Program Capability Review, are acted upon in a timely and effective manner
- Develop departmental risk register, ensure its implementation to mitigate risks and ensure accountability
- Monitor the implementation of WASH and Health audit recommendations
Donor engagement and Resource Mobilization: 15%
- Raise local resources for WASH and Health TP
- Develop proposals for WASH grants including integration with other sectors
- Track accountability to WASH specific grants
- Provide support to RAM in responding to appropriate request for applications for bilateral and multilateral sources in coordination with relevant SOs and management of grant funded program
Collaboration and advocacy 15%
Develop and maintain a national level Stakeholder Register, (that include Strategic Government Departments, Development Partners, Private Sector, Faith Based Organizations, Civil Society Organizations)
Networking with national WASH stakeholder
- Representing NO at sector-related forums
- Attending regional, national and local meetings as appropriate
Staff capacity development and performance management 15%
Model a high standard of personal Christian leadership, ministry and integrity through lifestyle and work relationships that support spiritual development of the team.
In close collaboration with P&C, ensure right program staff are recruited, retained, and provided with intentional opportunities, mentored and coached for development.
Assess and plan for staff capacities/competencies.
Engage appropriate SMEs for identified training gaps
Facilitate capacity building of staff on technical modules, through trainings, workshops, OJT, technical backstopping etc.
Staff supervision and guidance to ensure overall quality and comprehensive management of technical program
Safeguarding and Faith & Development integration: 5%
Ensuring alignment to safeguarding of program activities
Support Faith & Development integration
Ensure safeguarding training and orientation for all sector partners including community level
Qualifications: Education, Competencies and Experience
The following knowledge, skills and abilities may be acquired through a combination of formal schooling, self-education, prior experience or on-the-job training:
|Required Education, Competencies and Professional Experience||First degree of Engineering in Water, Civil, Agricultural, or soil and water engineering or closely related fields.Minimum of 5 years’ experience of progressive leadership in WASH and related programs with a thorough understanding of all areas of project management cycles in a complex, international development organization especially in development and Relief Projects. 3 years should have been at a managerial level.Experience in Monitoring and EvaluationExperience of working with an international NGO in the sector of WASH and HealthPeople management skills, with ability to lead, inspire, train, and mentor team members, and to achieve the highest possible results through staff.Fluency in English (excellent written and verbal communication skills, including report-writing and formal communication skills).Excellent computer skills|
|Preferred Education, Competencies and Professional Experience||Masters’ degree in Public Health, Social Science, Water Resource Management or closely related fieldExperience in electromechanical systems (water pumps, motors and generators is essential)Training or certification in installation of PV systems, integrated water resources management, behaviour change, market-based solutions, and other WASH and Health areas (documented experience alternately accepted)Licensing with Engineers Board of Rwanda|
The position requires ability and willingness to travel domestically and internationally up to 30% of the time.
The salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
N.B: Women are highly encouraged to apply.
How to apply:
Should you wish to apply for this position, please go to http://careers.wvi.org/job-opportunities-in-rwanda
If this is your first time applying online via the World Vision International careers website, you will need to register an account along with your application details. This site will provide you with additional functionality, such as saved searches and email alerts. Registration requires minimal information to create your account. Further details will be collected during the application process.
All applicants must apply using our online application system, CVs received via email or standard post will NOT be considered.
In case you face any challenges in applying, please let us know on WV [email protected] (no applications will be accepted through this email).
The closing date for submission of applications is 2nd December 2021; no late applications will be accepted.
As a child focused organization, World Vision is committed to the protection of children and does not employ staff whose background is not suitable for working with children. All employment is conditional upon successful completion of all applicable background checks, including criminal record checks.
Note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.