Want to use your skills in public affairs and advocacy to play a vital role in making clean water, decent toilets and good hygiene normal for everyone everywhere?
Join WaterAid as International Advocacy Intern to change normal for millions of people so they can unlock their potential, break free from poverty and change their lives for good. On top of that you’ll be joining a 2020 Great Place to Work® award-winning organisation.
The WaterAid International Affairs team is the ‘political brain’ of WaterAid, we filter the signal from the noise about how key actors think, and what informs their behaviour. Our work enables WaterAid to confidently navigate and leverage the external landscape facing our campaigns. We garner high quality intel, craft politically persuasive messages and build a broad cohort of champions.
As our enthusiastic and quick-learning International Advocacy Intern you will gain valuable experience in politics, advocacy, international affairs and international development at a crucial moment for international development.
This is a six-month, full-time fixed term contract, starting in January 2022.
In this role, you will support WaterAid’s public affairs and advocacy in the UK with the implementation of our public affairs strategy and tactics, as well as reactive lobbying opportunities.
– Support the delivery of our lobbying, responses to government consultations, parliamentary inquiries and bills.
– Engage with external lobby and campaigning groups, and contributing to advocacy towards a range of stakeholders, lobby targets and audiences
– Provide high quality and timely political and policy analysis on UK development policy issues.
We’re looking for someone educated to at least A level standard, with good political instincts, a keenness to learn and enthusiasm for WaterAid’s ambitions.
To be successful, you’ll need:
– Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills
– A general understanding of campaigning and politics in the UK
– Keenness to learn and get up to speed quickly
– Be great at working in multi-disciplinary teams
How to Apply:
Join us to change normal for good – apply today. To see the full job pack, please click ‘Apply’. Please apply by submitting your CV and a cover letter in a single document in either Word Document or PDF format.
Applications will close 23:59 on 02/12/2021. Availability for interview is required on 08/12/2021. Interviews will take place virtually.
Salary £18,700 – £19,600 (subject to experience) with excellent benefits
- 36 days’ holiday (including Bank Holidays)
- Option to buy an extra 5 days annual leave
- We offer a generous pension plan with employer contribution of up to 10%
- Wide range of flexible and agile-working arrangement
- Season Ticket Loan
- Free annual eye tests
- Pay as You Give charitable giving scheme
- Enhanced Maternity and Adoption/Surrogacy pay, Shared Parental Leave and Paternity Leave
- Volunteer Day
WaterAid is located in Canary Wharf, London and this will be your location and contract base. Please be aware that this role is UK based only. WaterAid is open and supportive of flexibility. We are currently defining our approach to hybrid working. The right balance between office and home-based working should be agreed with your line manager. Your flexibility requirements and that of the role will be discussed at the interview stage with you.
We are unable to provide sponsorship for this post. In order to apply for this post, you must be able to demonstrate your eligibility to work in the UK.
WaterAid is committed to ensuring that wherever we work in the world there is no tolerance for the abuse of power, privilege or trust. WaterAid reinforces a culture of zero tolerance towards any form of inappropriate behaviour, abuse, harassment, or exploitation of any kind. The safeguarding of our beneficiaries, staff, volunteers and anyone working on our behalf, is our top priority and we take our responsibilities extremely seriously. All staff and volunteers are required to share in this commitment through our Global Code of Conduct. We will conduct the most appropriate pre-employment references and checks to ensure high standards are maintained.
WaterAid is an equal opportunities, disability-confident employer and committed to achieving the highest standards of diversity, fairness and equality. Should you have a disability and require any additional support, please contact us at [email protected]