Date: Nov 20, 2021
Location: Oak Ridge, TN, US, 37830
Company: Oak Ridge National Laboratory
Requisition Id: 6236
Oak Ridge National Laboratory is the largest US Department of Energy science and energy laboratory, conducting basic and applied research to deliver transformative solutions to compelling problems in energy and security.
The Biodiversity and Sustainable Systems Section (BSSS) within the Environmental Sciences Division (http://www.esd.ornl.gov), at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL, http://www.ornl.gov), is seeking to hire two Postdoctoral Research Associates with the skills and creativity to apply water resources engineering knowledge towards the assessment and advancement of innovative water power and engineering development.
We are interested in qualified candidates who can bring unique skills in one or more of the following fields: hydrology and hydraulics, hydropower and/or hydrokinetic energy, hydrodynamics modeling and experiment, geospatial data analysis, hydroclimate impact assessment, and high-performance computing. A successful candidate is also expected to have interdisciplinary teamwork skills with researchers in water resources engineering, computation, informatics, ecology, and environmental economics. The candidate will benefit from the unique capabilities at ORNL and is expected to develop cutting-edge research for clean, renewable, and sustainable future energy.
ESD is an interdisciplinary research and development organization with more than 60 years of achievement in local, regional, national, and international environmental research. Our vision is to expand scientific knowledge and develop innovative strategies and technologies that will strengthen the nation’s leadership in creating solutions to help sustain the Earth’s natural resources. Our scientists conduct research, develop technology, and perform analyses to understand and assess responses of environmental systems at the environment-human interface and the consequences of alternative energy and environmental strategies.
- Develop, improve, and implement novel water power theories and technologies to promote the sustainable growth of national clean and renewable energy.
- Conduct cutting-edge research in the fields of hydrology, hydraulics, and water resources management for global energy-water security.
- Lead and participate in research partnerships with industrial and academic partners.
- Lead or contribute to proposal development to clean and renewable energy development.
- Publish high-quality, impactful, peer-reviewed journal articles and reports.
- Maintain strong commitment to the implementation and perpetuation of values and ethics.
- PhD in Engineering, Physics, or related discipline completed within the last 5 years
- Experience in at-least one of the fields
- o Geospatial and remote sensing data analysis (e.g., GIS, Google Earth Engine)
- o Water power resource characterization, and environmental impact science
- o Field, laboratory, or numerical testing of water power technologies or hydraulic structures
- o Hydrologic, hydraulic, and reservoir management modeling
- o Hydroclimate extremes and impact assessment
- Strong scripting and programming skills (e.g., R, Python, MATLAB, C, Fortran)
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills
- Strong record of productive and creative research, demonstrated by publications in peer-reviewed journals and presentations at scientific conferences
- Capability of working collaboratively in a team environment and interacting effectively with a broad range of colleagues across both national and international institutions
Applications should include a cover letter, current CV, and a list of at least three references.
Applicants cannot have received their Ph.D. more than five years prior to the date of application and must complete all degree requirements before starting their appointment. The appointment length will be for up to 24 months with the potential for extension. Initial appointments and extensions are subject to performance and the availability of funding.
Moving can be overwhelming and expensive. UT-Battelle offers a generous relocation package to ease the transition process. Domestic and international relocation assistance is available for certain positions. If invited to interview, be sure to ask your Recruiter (Talent Acquisition Partner) for details.
For more information about our benefits, working here, and living here, visit the “About” tab at jobs.ornl.gov.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email [email protected]
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.