$30.38 – $48.61 Hourly
$63,198 – $101,117 Annually
This position is a Pay Band EG
Purpose of Position
Interviews will be conducted within (2) weeks from the list closing.
Why does the job exist?
This position is located in the Water Rights District VI Santa Fe Office. The purpose of this position is to provide direct management, leadership and direction for Water Resources Professionals. This position is responsible for oversight of short, medium, and long term planning for administration and management of all water right processes for the Northern Rio Grande Administrative Area to ensure compliance of statutes, rules, regulations, and policies governing the appropriation of water. This position is responsible for the evaluation, analysis. and recommendation to the Santa Fe District and Division Managers and support counsel regarding effective utilization of staff resources to accomplish mandated goals and programs and evaluation and recommendation on policies and procedures relating to proper and legal water right administration. This position serves as an expert witness for water right hearings and court proceedings and has a working knowledge of ArcGIS software to prepare maps for technical reviews and to find information and data when assisting the public.
How does it get done?
– Provide management support and supervision of staff where it develops and oversees water rights application processing, water management and specific projects within the Upper Rio Grande Basins.
– Train, direct, supervise, evaluate, and be responsible for personnel actions and assignment of staff.
– Set goals and provide direction for staff which includes responsibility for the oversight of work performed, assignments and delegation of staff to everyday work and special assignments.
– Prepare timely employee evaluations in accordance with State Personnel Office and OSE rules and regulations
– Represent and speak on behalf of the OSE at meetings with various political subdiv1s1ons and the public.
– Provide expert testimony at trials, hearings, depositions, and other necessary proceedings
Who are the customers?
The general public, water right owners, realtors, brokers, consultants, mayordomos and pariciantes (these words are pronounced in Spanish) and other agency staff members.
The ideal candidate will have the following:
1. Extensive experience with New Mexico Water Rights Administration,
2. Experience with managing and supervising a group of staff, directly and indirectly, ability to set goals for staff, and provide oversight of assigned work and special assignments,
3. Education, knowledge and experience with NM Water laws, agency rules and regulations, policies and statutes,
4. Ability to represent and speak on behalf of the agency at meetings and public events,
5. Experience and extensive knowledge in NM Water Rights issues and Surface and Groundwater basins,
6. Ability to make high level decisions related to determining level of required effort to meet agency needs as they can be challenging,
7. Ability to work closely with the District VII Manager to insure objectives of the Water Rights Division In Santa Fe Office are met consistently and with sound engineering judgment.
Bachelor’s Degree in a related Water Resources discipline (Agriculture Science, Hydrology, Geology, Environmental Science, Water Resources, Watershed Management, Physics, Biology, Natural Science, Physical Science, Life Science, Biology, Chemistry, Geography Forestry/Forest Science, Conservation Science, Wildlife Science, Emergency Management or Engineering) and eight (8) years of relevant experience. Master’s Degree in the above disciplines and six (6) years of relevant experience or a Ph.D. and four (4) years of experience in the above disciplines will substitute for the required education and experience. Substitutions Apply. See Substitution Table below.
No job description available
Must possess and maintain a valid New Mexico Driver’s License. Must possess and maintain a current Defensive Driving Course Certificate from the State of New Mexico or must pass and receive Defensive Driving course Certification as a condition of continued employment.
Executive Order 2021-046 requires all employees with the State of New Mexico to provide either proof of COVID-19 vaccination or proof of a COVID-19 viral test every week.
The Public Health Order (on Vaccination) dated August 17, 2021, requires Congregate Care Facility Workers and Hospital Workers to be fully vaccinated.
If you have questions about whether these requirements apply to this specific position, contact the agency contact listed on this advertisement.
Links to the referenced Executive Order and Public Health Order can be found on the State Personnel Office website homepage: www.spo.state.nm.us
Work is performed in an office setting with exposure to Visual/Video Display Terminal (VDT) and extensive personal computer and phone usage. Some sitting, standing, bending and reaching may be required. Use of Xerox machine, scanners, printers and telephone. Occasional field work requires use of digital cameras and a global positioning system. Must follow all health and safety protocols.
Do you know what Total Compensation is? Click here
Agency Contact Information: Ramona Martinez, (505) 470-2145 Email
For information on Statutory Requirements for this position, click the Classification Description link on the job advertisement.
Bargaining Unit Position
This position is not covered by a collective bargaining agreement.