Position Title: Communications and Outreach Associate
Application Deadline – December 6, 2021
Hours/Classification – Full Time (35 hours per week)
Location – This position is eligible for remote work within the United States
Salary – $52,000 – $58,000 per year, commensurate with qualifications, includes a competitive benefits package, and subject to location-based adjustment
Benefits – Benefits include fully paid health insurance for employee and dependents (medical, dental, and vision), employer-matched retirement savings contribution, life insurance, short and long-term disability insurance, and generous paid leave (vacation, sick, personal days, and holidays).
Start Date – Available Immediately
Founded in 1987, the Pacific Institute is a global water think tank that combines science-based thought leadership with active outreach to influence local, national, and international efforts in developing sustainable water policies. Our mission is to create and advance solutions to the world’s most pressing water challenges. From working with Fortune 500 companies to disenfranchised communities, we lead local, national, and international efforts in developing sustainable water policies and delivering meaningful results.
The Communications and Outreach Associate position is fast-paced role contributing to a wide range of communications and outreach functions that directly support the Pacific Institute’s work to build water resilience through research and policy/practice advocacy. The role is an exciting opportunity for a detail-oriented communicator who is passionate about water and climate issues both in the United States and globally. This role reports to the Director of Communications and Outreach, while collaborating with the broader Communications and Outreach Team and a wide range of staff, including researchers and development colleagues, across the organization. This position coordinates functions and maintains systems related to internal communications, media relations, report publishing, website design and maintenance, social media, video creation, events, webinars, newsletters, blogs, analytics, branding, etc.
- Contributes to the coordination of multiple social media channels, including creating, proofreading, and posting high-quality content; stays current on social media best practices; and contributes to the maintenance of the team’s social media calendar.
- Tracks social media analytics.
- Contributes to the coordination of blog posts, including collaborating with researcher and executive authors, proofreading, scheduling, and posting.
- Contributes to the coordination of newsletter creation and publishing.
- Tracks electronic communications analytics.
- Maintains up-to-date and accurate database of media contacts.
- Tracks media coverage and maintains database of media coverage.
- Contributes to direct media pitches to increase earned media placements.
- Contributes to the coordination of interactions between journalists and Pacific Institute spokespeople, such as scheduling interviews and tracking coverage.
- Maintains up-to-date and accurate database of outreach contacts.
- Coordinates aspects of developing and sending outreach materials to key stakeholders, including community leaders, water managers, policymakers, elected officials, academics, donors, and others to promote events and publications.
- Coordinates aspects of media and policy/practice outreach events, including webinars, virtual conferences, and in-person meetings.
- Coordinates aspects of content, branding, and daily updating for Pacific Institute-hosted websites.
- Tracks website metrics.
- Contributes to and coordinates aspects of report creation, design, editing, proofreading, production, and publishing.
- Contributes to and coordinates aspects of emerging internal communications program, including meetings, video presentations, written communications, etc.
- Contributes to the maintenance and coordination of the Communications and Outreach team calendar.
- Coordinates aspects of Communications and Outreach team meetings.
- Creates monthly reports that track progress of Communications and Outreach activities and progress using available metrics/analytics.
- Develops and coordinates PowerPoint decks, videos, and other presentations.
- Coordinates use of branding assets and maintains branding assets library.
- Writes a variety of content for websites, social media, emails, newsletters, and other platforms.
- Coordinates shared online folders of communications assets and files.
- Proofreads, formats, and copy edits written materials.
- Collaborates with wide range of internal colleagues and external vendors.
- Contributes to budget tracking.
- Supports staff in technical implementation and administration as needed.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in Communications, Journalism, Sustainability, Environmental Policy, Environmental Education, Marketing, or related discipline.
- 3+ years’ experience in environmental- or sustainability-related communications or related field.
- Passion for advancing water resilience; familiarity with water research and policy/practice.
- Passion for fast-paced work environment.
- Team orientation and commitment for reaching team goals.
- Outstanding writing, editing, and proofreading capabilities.
- Social media maven; background in coordinating social media campaigns; passion for using variety of social media platforms to achieve disciplined strategic communications goals.
- Proficiency with the following communications-related platforms/systems or their equivalents and/or having propensity to learn new platforms/systems quickly: WordPress; Constant Contact; Salesforce; Hootsuite; Facebook/Facebook Insights; Twitter/Twitter Insights; LinkedIn; Trello; PlayPlay; Canva; etc.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Photoshop.
- Experience working on earned media campaigns and/or directly with members of media.
- Experience with website, newsletters, and email marketing campaigns.
- Excellent time-management and organizational skills; attention to details; ability to meet frequent deadlines.
- Experience with video and podcast creation.
- Creative; strategic thinker; willingness to propose innovative ideas; flexible; curious; go-getter.
- Leverages strong interpersonal skillset to work collaboratively and constructively across team, organizations, and external partners/vendors.
- Supporting communications, events, and/or outreach objectives outside of business hours, including during evenings and/or weekends as periodically needed.
The Pacific Institute is an equal-opportunity employer committed to a diverse workforce. We encourage candidates from a wide range of backgrounds to apply and individuals seeking employment are considered without regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation.
Recognizing the inherent inequities that exist in our society, our sector, and our work, the Pacific Institute is dedicated to improving our internal policies, procedures, and programmatic priorities to ensure a diverse workforce and culture of inclusion. We have accelerated our efforts and refreshed our approach to diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI). As part of this commitment, we request that candidates include a short statement in their cover letters to address how they approach a commitment to DEI in their own work and would contribute this approach to the Pacific Institute’s future work.
If you think you have a matching skill set for this role, please apply with your resume and cover letter including your DEI statement– we look forward to hearing from you!