Location: Remote within the UK, London preferred
Salary: up to £75,000 per year, 24 months fixed-term contract with a possibility of extension
Start date: ASAP
About the Container Based Sanitation Alliance
The Container-Based Sanitation Alliance (CBSA) brings together leading practitioners in the development and provision of container-based sanitation (CBS) – an innovative form of hygienic, affordable and climate-positive sanitation service, ideally suited to low-income areas and other hard-to-reach locations. Formed in November 2016, the CBSA envisions a world where safe sanitation is no longer out of reach for low-income families in these communities. Working together, we aim to support the scale up, acceleration and proliferation of safe, climate-positive sanitation at a global scale.
The CBSA achieves this through the following core focus areas:
- Global Advocacy – Advocating for the adoption of CBS by funders, investors, and LMIC governments, municipalities and utilities.
- Member Support – Organizing and facilitating knowledge exchanges and developing knowledge products to help members overcome commonly experienced issues and challenges that slow the path to scale.
- Research and insights – Building the evidence base for CBS by developing robust evidence and analysis that help overcome industry and sectoral knowledge gaps and address key issues that slow the path to scale.
- Fostering innovation – Researching, incubating, and developing innovative solutions to common challenges, including around innovative approaches to financing, waste resource recovery and technology development.
- New entrant support – Supporting the adoption of CBS by new providers by helping to overcome key barriers to entry through standardized knowledge and materials.
About the opportunity
The Container Based Sanitation Alliance is seeking an Executive Director who will drive forward the Alliance’s new 2021-24 strategy and will lead CBSA’s efforts to transform sanitation provisions and make dignified, safe, and affordable sanitation, accessible to low-income and most vulnerable communities around the world. This is an exciting opportunity for someone who is interested in making an impact and shifts in the sanitation world and work alongside individuals who are passionate about tackling the global sanitation crisis.
Reporting to the board, the Executive Director will lead the Alliance’s strategic priorities with focus on identifying business development and funding opportunities, developing global advocacy strategies to promote CBS as an innovative solution to sanitation problems, and fostering innovation and research and insights to overcome gaps in the sector.
If you are a dynamic professional with an entrepreneurial and strategic mindset who loves challenges and working on collaborative initiatives, we would love to hear from you.
The Executive Director will operate remotely in UK, preferably in London. CBSA is committed to candidates from diverse background. Candidates from historically marginalised or underrepresented backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
The anticipated activities for the next year are predominantly focused on delivering the CBSA’s 2021-24 strategy, including, but not limited to:
- Responsible for overall strategic growth, direction, and driving CBSA’s business operations and projects
- Provide leadership to and manage the efforts of staff, ensuring appropriate support, clear performance expectations, and coaching and feedback are provided.
- Manage board governance and oversee and report on the organization’s results for the board of directors.
- Regularly connect with CBSA members, developing an understanding of each member’s history, context, model, challenges, and successes.
- Recognize opportunities in programming, in creating cross-collaborations, and conducting research when needed to promote the objectives and strategic priorities of the Alliance
- Lead, as the public face of the CBSA, global advocacy efforts through relationship development with key sector stakeholders and influencers, presentations and networking events at all key sector conferences and meetings, and becoming an active and vocal member of strategic sector initiatives.
- Develop and execute an advocacy strategy and plan that focuses on overcoming barriers to adoption and misconceptions, and includes identifying key influencers, stakeholders, and dissemination platforms to target.
- Lead the production and dissemination of an annual CBS industry report.
- Build and communicate the social and business case for CBS to attract new partnerships and funding to the industry.
- Responsible for business development, achieving annual revenue targets, developing multiple revenue streams, and creating a strong opportunity pipeline
- Oversee and manage business development process from prospecting and identifying potential funding sources, through to proposal writing, negotiations, and contract signing
- Identify innovative ways to grow CBSA’s business and impact
- Manage financial sustainability of CBSA
- Coordinate and lead annual, quarterly, and monthly reviews, and provide periodic forecast updates to the board
Member & New Entrant Support
- Regularly connect with and foster strong relationships with CBSA members, developing an understanding of each member’s history, challenges, and successes as the basis for providing strategic and impactful member support and global advocacy and ensuring the CBSA is appropriately representing the voice and perspectives of its members.
- Provide strategic input, direction, and oversight into Member Support key activities.
- Provide strategic input, direction, and oversight into prospective CBS provider outreach activities. Where appropriate, develop partnerships with key sanitation networks and social entrepreneur networks and forums to support prospective CBS provider outreach.
- Explore a partnerships with accelerators to incentivise new CBS businesses.
Communications and external relations
- Represent CBSA at external events including public speaking engagements, conferences, and high-level meetings
- Liaise and network with external stakeholders including government ministries, municipalities, regulators, funders, and other prospective partners to help sanitation services to reach scale and achieve sustainable impact
- Results-Orientation: The ability to get things done efficiently and effectively. Goal-oriented with excellent time and task management, productivity/workload management, planning, and project management skills.
- Financial Management: Managing budgets, revenue pipelines, ensuring financial success.
- People Management: The ability to motivate and focus a team and to foster collaboration among team members.
- Adaptive Communication: The ability to articulate one’s ideas—whether orally or in writing—persuasively and passionately to a range of individuals, groups, and cultures.
- Stakeholder Relationships: The ability to foster positive stakeholder relationships and experiences.
- Business Development: The ability to prospect, network and nurture relationships, create opportunities, conceptualize project opportunities, and lead proposal development.
- Positive Mindset: Stays positive, is a good listener, and is a generative problem solver.
- Flexible: Nimble and open minded, thrives working in a fast paced, dynamic, evolving environment. Comfortable working in an environment where processes and systems are a work in progress.
- Practical and Pragmatic: Focused real-world application of ideas and solutions rather than abstract notions.
- Calm Under Pressure: Maintain composure and focus under stress.
- Entrepreneurial: Self-directed, mission-driven, action-oriented, adaptable, thinking outside-the-box, and innovative mindset.
- Collaborative: Able to bring a range of entities to the table, identify how they can better work together, and facilitate making it a reality.
- A demonstrated commitment to CBSA or an organization with a similar mission
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree (Master’s degree is preferred)
- Demonstrated background in advocacy communications, capacity building, business growth and/or social enterprise
- Experience in leading high profile advocacy efforts for a cause and engaging with various types and levels of stakeholders and influencers
- High level of credibility with experience in influencing decision making on policies and regulations
- Proven track record in managing proposal writing process, with hands-on experience in writing winning proposals and securing funding from development funding organizations such as DFID, USAID, DFAT, UN and etc.
- Demonstrated experience in building a new funding stream and managing business development life cycle, from identifying opportunity pipeline, managing contracts from different funders, drafting/reviewing contract, negotiations, signing, through to delivery and reporting
- Demonstrated experience in managing financial performance and budgeting in a business unit, large program, and etc.
- Prior experience of working within a collaborative initiative and leading teams to deliver on multiple projects and deadlines, with various stakeholders
- Ability to represent CBSA on large public speaking engagements on a global stage
- Experience in the international development space, exposure to the sanitation or WASH sectors would be an asset
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with the proven ability to convey information effectively for a variety of audiences
- Experience in managing relationships with key internal and external stakeholders (funders, members, sector actors, board of directors) and developing a strong network
- Excellent data organizational skills including analysis and synthesis
- Willingness to travel for up to 3-4 weeks.
- Experience in a fast-growing and break through sector
- Experience working in a social enterprise or social impact organizations
- Existing networks with financing institutions and investment community
- Experience of working in a membership-based organization
- Knowledge of innovative financing, climate finance and/or the circular economy
- Experience of working in a developing country
- Fluency in French and/or Spanish
The Container Based Sanitation Alliance (CBSA) is being supported by Devex Talent Solutions to identify their Executive Director, please apply on the Devex website.