PostDoc position (m/f) Oceanography, Geosciences, Environmental Sciences or comparable
code no. 2018/KB 6
The place of employment is Geesthacht, Germany.
The Institute of Coastal Research, Division Biogeochemistry in Coastal Seas, establishes a new group investigating “The Ocean’s Alkalinity: Connecting geological and metabolic processes and time scales”, a project funded by the DAAD programme “Make our planet great again – German Research Initiative” (MOPGA-GRI). We invite applications for a PostDoc position (m/f) (Oceanography, Geosciences, Environmental Sciences or comparable), starting in January 2019. The position is limited until 31.12.2022.
- investigate sediment-water column exchanges and water mass transports of species of the marine carbonate system using radiochemical tracers
- investigate governing processes of the marine carbonate system, in particular alkalinity and pH
- independently plan, prepare and carry seagoing expeditions in the framework of the project, under consideration of autonomous observing systems and ships of different size classes
- contribute to the management and integration of the overall international project
- supervise students (doctoral, masters, undergraduate), and visiting scientists
- write scientific publications in peer-reviewed journals and present results at meetings and international conferences
- contribute to writing proposals to German and international funding agencies
- completed degree (doctorate preferred) in Chemical Oceanography or in a related relevant discipline
- Perennial experience in the chemistry of the marine carbonate system and in radio- and stable isotope chemistry
- Experience and expertise in oceanographic field work and creativity to design field and laboratory experiments
- Preparedness, willingness and proven physical ability for participation in research campaigns with the institute’s own research vessels as well as vessels of cooperation partners
Informal enquiries can be directed to Prof. Dr. Helmuth Thomas ([email protected]).
- multinational work environment with over 900 colleagues from more than 50 nations
- extensive options of vocational training (for instance, expert seminars, language courses or leadership seminars)
- flexible working hours and various models to ensure the compatibility of family and career
- excellent infrastructure, including a scientific in-house library as well as modern work spaces
- an appropriate salary related to the German public tariff (TV-AVH) plus the usual social benefits for the public employment sector
The Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht is an equal opportunity employer and particularly strives to increase the percentage of women in the science sector. Severely disabled persons with equal qualifications will be considered preferentially.
The Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht (HZG), centre for materials and coastal research, is located near Hamburg and in Teltow, near Berlin. You can find more information at http://www.hzg.de.