Published 17.11.2021 Closing date 13.12.2021 at 16.15 (EET) Locations Kuopio ID to Valtiolle.fi -web service 32-1726-2021
At GTK, we aim to work for the Earth and for Us. We conduct objective research to find solutions to challenges posed by climate change, the energy transition, and the circular economy. Our 400 experts are specialists in the mineral economy, green energy, water management, the environment, and digital solutions. Together with our Finnish and global partners, we are building sustainable and carbon-neutral future. GTK is a research organization governed by the Finnish Ministry of Employment and the Economy. www.gtk.fi/en
Research scientist for water treatment
The Geological Survey of Finland (GTK) is looking for a water treatment research scientist for the Circular Economic Solutions unit in Kuopio, Finland.
Your task will be the development of water treatment technologies for the extractive industry, including for the recycling of process waters, and recovery solutions for valuable elements from water and wastewater to support the circular economy and sustainability of the mining sector. You will be involved in a variety of laboratory-based and pilot-scale water treatment investigations. You will be responsible for designing treatment systems for industrial waters, planning, conducting, and managing experimental work and pilot campaigns, and your work will aim at generating new water treatment services for GTK. In addition, you will be responsible for the preparation, implementation and management of national and international tenders and projects for our customers and jointly funded research proposals and projects as well as in developing new innovations together with relevant partners. You will also be responsible for operating state-of-the-art analytical equipment and implementing work safety and the quality requirements and practices of the water treatment laboratory according to ISO 9001. Your task will include writing progress reports and publishing research results in refereed journals and travelling for work in Finland and abroad.
You will be working in an international working community in the Circular Economy Solutions Unit as a part of the Mining Environments and Side Streams Team in a close cooperation and supervision of an experienced senior scientist and the team manager. As a part of our team, you’ll take part in improving the extractive sector’s environmental management and developing solutions to enhance circular economy through commercial and research projects.
What we expect
- You have earned a PhD degree in environmental engineering, chemical engineering, or other closely related engineering disciplines
- You have a strong background in water treatment and industrial wastewater treatment technologies with a demonstrated good publication record in this field
- You have excellent knowledge on environmental chemistry and fundamental analytical chemistry methods used in water research
- You have several years of experience in process design and research related to the conventional and advanced physico-chemical water treatment technologies and valuable elements recovery techniques applicable to the extractive sector
- You have proven practical working experience in applying engineering tools and scientific approaches to develop water treatment and recovery processes on the laboratory and pilot scales
- You have several years of working experience in analytical methods, particularly spectroscopic methods, liquid chromatography, non-destructive analytical techniques, and operating relevant analytical equipment
- You have proven experience in research project acquisition and demonstrated ability to attract external funding
- You have excellent English language skills, both verbal and written and interpersonal communication skills
- You have strong problem-solving-, analytical thinking- and organisational skills
- You are ready to take the initiative and work independently in commercial- and research projects and you also have excellent teamwork skills
- You have a driving licence and the ability to drive a car also in field conditions
- You are able to travel and work in Finland and outside Finland, even for longer periods
- Knowledge and understanding of the processes of the extractive industry
- MSc degree in the same or closely related discipline as the PhD degree
- Working experience in engineering design software (Autodesk AutoCAD or other relevant), experimental design and relevant statistical software
- Proven project management skills
- Established international networks
What we offer
GTK is an international and diverse work community where everyone’s input is valued. Our employees have the opportunity to influence their own work, and we offer the ability to work remotely. At GTK we are determined to renew our operations and expertise. We take care of our employees’ wellbeing with our extensive occupational healthcare and wide range of activities that support wellbeing at work. Find out more about us: www.gtk.fi/en/careers-at-gtk/
Information about pay
The total salary at the beginning of employment will be EUR 4003–4266 per month.
We may conduct a personal background check on the person selected for the job with the person’s consent (security clearance act 726/2014). For more information about the security clearance process and the rights of subjects of background checks, please visit www.supo.fi/en
The position is permanent. The starting date is 1.4.2022 or by agreement.
For further information, please contact your future supervisor Päivi Kauppila by e-mail: [email protected], or by phone: +358 29 503 3715 (By phone 2.12.2021 at 9:00-11:00 (EET)), or senior scientist Małgorzata Szlachta, [email protected] (before 13th December).
Please send your application with your motivation letter and CV in English through the Valtiolle.fi service latest on 13.12.2021 at 16:15 (EET), using service key 32-1726-2021.
Please note that names of the applicants and the applications with attachments are public.