Assistant Professor Sustainability & Environmental Sciences
Campus Fryslân is the newest faculty of the University of Groningen, located in Leeuwarden. The faculty is dedicated to interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary education and research. We conduct cutting-edge research where local themes are connected to global issues, with a focus on four research flagships: 1) Governance, 2) Sustainable Economy, 3) Language, Culture & Technology and 4) Food & Health. Technology and data related issues represent a fast-growing aspect of our research and education. You will work at a state-of-the-art facility at one of the oldest and most prestigious European universities, in the European Capital of Culture 2018. The Campus’s motivated team values teamwork and provides a stimulating working environment in which mutual support is combined with room for individual initiative. You will become a member of our high-standing academic and international community. We challenge our staff and students to approach issues from multiple disciplines and encourage them to take a different view. We are curious about yours!
Within Campus Fryslân, you will primarily be working at University College Fryslân (UCF). UCF is a new university college, inspired by the UN Agenda for Sustainable Development. UCF offers a BSc in Global Responsibility & Leadership. This bachelor is a broad, scientifically rigorous, interdisciplinary programme with three majors (Responsible Governance, Responsible Humanity, and Responsible Planet). The programme has a strong emphasis on digital research and leadership development. Through small-scale and intensive education, you will work together with ambitious student-researchers to help them acquire the knowledge and skills that are necessary to design solutions for global challenges and become change agents for sustainable development.
UCF invites applications for a motivated colleague at the level of Assistant Professor Sustainability & Environmental Sciences. You are expected to contribute to the development of the educational and research domain of earth system sciences, environmental studies and science and technology studies, specifically with regard to interdisciplinary research integrating methods of the natural and social sciences to assess the connections between the global environment and human activities. Furthermore, you will teach and develop courses in the major Responsible Planet within the BSc Global Responsibility & Leadership. You will have the unique opportunity to combine education with research and shape the emerging research programme. Finally, we are highly committed to building a diverse and dynamic academic community in Leeuwarden, and we expect a similar commitment from all our academic staff.
The candidate will
- support the development of the major “Responsible Planet”, and contribute to the development of the three tracks (Earth and Environment, Knowledge Systems for Sustainability, and Energy Transition) including teaching and curriculum development
- conduct research independently as well as together with student-researchers in your own domain of research as part of the UCF curriculum in so-called “living lab” projects
- contribute to the existing research lines, from advice to actual research and supervision of bachelor, master and PhD students
- acquire funding for new research activities and actively look for (international) partners to build consortia.
We are looking for an enthusiastic colleague with demonstrated research and teaching potential and a strong research background, with proven affinity for interdisciplinary approaches. Research expertise that involves data, modelling or digital infrastructures is especially suited to the working environment, facilities and research lines of Campus Fryslan.
The ideal candidate has:
- a PhD in Earth Sciences, Environmental Studies, Sustainability Studies, Science and Technology Studies or a comparable domain
- the demonstrated capacity to deliver research outcomes which are of interest to a variety of stakeholders (both experts and other actors)
- the ability to conduct academic research as reflected in an established record of publications in leading scientific journals
- the willingness to apply an inter- and transdisciplinary perspective to research and education
- the capacity to teach bachelor students in small-scale settings and conduct research together with them in living lab settings in your own area of expertise
- an international and proactive outlook fitting to a new and dynamic organisation
- excellent command of the English language, including good communication skills; Dutch language abilities would be an asset
- a University Teaching Qualification, or the willingness to acquire this qualification within two years after the starting date.
Conditions of employment
The University of Groningen offers a salary, depending on qualifications and work experience with a minimum of € 3,545 up to a maximum of € 4,852 gross per month (salary scale 11 Dutch Universities) for a full-time position.
After one year, there is the possibility of extending the appointment of 0.8 FTE to a full-time position, depending on evaluation and size of the student body. The post will be established for a fixed term period of two years. Towards the end of that period there will be a result- and development interview in order to decide whether the appointment will be made permanent.
How to apply
You should submit your application before 2 December 2018 23:59h / 3 December Dutch local time.
Applications should include:
- letter of motivation
- curriculum vitae including a list of publications and other research output clearly showing your expertise in relevant areas
- statement on teaching, detailing courses taught or developed
- email and telephone contact information of at least two referees.
- Only complete applications submitted by the deadline will be taken into consideration. The starting date for this position is 1 May 2019.
Interviews will take place in week 2 of 2019. The interview will consist of two parts: the interview (30 minutes) and the mock lecture (15 minutes) during which you will demonstrate your knowledge of the research domain and showcase your teaching capabilities. The University of Groningen/Campus Fryslân is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive our full consideration. Nevertheless, as we are committed to building a diverse faculty, female applicants are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For information you can contact:
Dr J.A. (Anne) Beaulieu, Associate Professor Wetenschap- en technologiestudies, firstname.lastname@example.org
(please do not use the email addresses above for applications)