A LITTLE ABOUT US
Since 1951, The Nature Conservancy has been doing work you can believe in protecting the lands and waters that all life depends on. As a science-based organization, we create innovative, on-the-ground solutions to our world’s toughest challenges so that we can create a world in which people and nature thrive.
We’re rooted in our Mission and guided by our Values, which includes a Commitment to Diversity and Respect for People, Communities, and Cultures. We know we’ll only achieve our Mission by hiring and engaging a diverse workforce that reflects the communities in which we work. Whether it’s career development, work/life balance, or a rewarding mission, there’s lots of reasons to love life #insideTNC. Our goal is to cultivate an inclusive work environment so that all of our colleagues around the globe feel a sense of belonging, and that their unique contributions to our mission are valued.
Although you’ll see requirements in our postings, we recognize that people come with talent and experiences outside of a job. Passion, innovation, and diversity are all key components to advancing our Mission and we encourage you to apply.
YOUR POSITION WITH TNC
The Colorado River Delta Program is a binational initiative comprised of multiple partners across the region. The final aim is restoring critical habitats through creative uses of the water, negotiations and advocacy to ensure water for the environment, using a science-based approach. TNC Colorado river Delta vision is that the river is reconnected to the sea. It brings water and life to the Delta, supporting vast flocks of birds, and abundant fish and shrimp. It supports thriving communities with sustainable livelihoods who celebrate and protect their river. Our main strategies are science, securing more water for environment, policy and governance, and sustainable funding solutions. The Colorado River Delta Conservation Assistant provides logistic, administrative and technical support to managers and staff to ensure alignment with program strategies. The Colorado River Delta Conservation Assistant works in the Colorado river Delta program and provides administrative, research, project management and other general assistance to program staff members from several TNC´s business units located both sides of the border, working toward the achievement of delta protection, conservation or stewardship goals in México.
The location for this position is Mexicali, Mexico. No international relocation, visa sponsorship or assistance is being offered with this position.
Colorado River Delta Conservation Assistant may manage conservation data, participate in conservation planning, develop project packages, respond to conservation partners and maintain manual project records. May include collecting, assembling, and analyzing various types of data from multiple partners and contractors, in the field or through document surveys, producing maps using GIS software and assisting in the production of reports, contracts, proposal and memos. Work may be done in the field (water monitoring) or be based entirely in an office setting, compiling the information collected by others.
They also use TNC’s code of conduct and competencies as a baseline to conduct their actions and be an example for others.
- Bachelor’s degree in biology, ecology, natural resources, environmental or forest engineering, management or related field and 2 years related work experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience with Microsoft Office suite (such an Excel, Word and Power point).
- Familiar with geographic information systems
- Communicating clearly via written, spoken and graphical means in Spanish and English.
- Experience coordinating multiple projects.
- Experience working on hydrology monitoring on rivers and/or wetlands
- Experience handling standard business communications.
- Driver license.
RESPONSIBILITIES & SCOPE
- Works closely with the Colorado River Delta team to develop project work plans, reports, projects proposals, terms of reference and budgets.
- Analyzes and summarizes information to support and inform conservation initiatives within the Colorado River Delta Program.
- Develops analysis and maintains a database library and monitoring reports.
- Deliver spatial analysis, data and field services to the Colorado River Delta team.
- Perform fieldwork including data collection, surveys, land and water measurements, land, vegetation and water sampling.
- Provides logistical support for meetings, trainings, events and donor trips.
- May be responsible for leading or co-leading a whole project.
- Work might require travel within Mexico and United States.
- Supervises no staff but may oversee work teams, volunteers or intern’s community support and implementation of projects on the ground
- Coordinates multiple tasks in a timely manner and with attention to detail.
- May assist with program budget preparation and monitoring, work within a budget to complete projects, negotiating and contracting with vendors.
- Delta’s assistant may work in variable weather conditions, at remote locations, on difficult and hazardous terrain, and under physically demanding circumstances.
- Makes day to day decision as delegated by the supervisor.
To apply for job ID 50623, submit your materials online by using the Apply Now button at https://careers.nature.org/ by 11:59 PM EST on November 30th, 2021. Need help applying? Visit our recruitment page or contact [email protected].
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of people of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
Do you have military experience? Visit our U.S. Military Skills Translator to match your military experience with our current job openings!
TNC is committed to offering accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application process. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please send a note to [email protected] with Request for Accommodation in the subject line.