Context of this search: We are looking for a dynamic and energetic teammate with strong skills to support and lead the Bank’s technical dialogue and development projects addressing a range of natural resources and environmental management issues in Belize, in areas such as, environmental governance, natural capital and ecosystem services, natural resources’ conservation, sustainable tourism, sustainable agriculture, sustainable fisheries, sustainable rural development, climate resilience in coastal communities and nature-based solutions, and blue economy. Regardless of the thematic area of intervention, the specialist is expected to participate actively in project supervision, monitoring, evaluation, analysis and design, as well as contribute substantively to sector-relevant dialogues with clients, which also entails analytical work and knowledge generation and management
The team: In line with the Bank´s strategic positioning in Belize, environmental sustainability issues, both in rural and urban contexts, are gaining renewed emphasis within IDB’s portfolio in the country. As such, IDB is looking for a dynamic and energetic teammate, with strong skills to support and lead the Bank’s technical dialogue and development projects addressing a range of natural resources and environmental management issues in Belize, in areas such as, but not limited to: i) environmental governance; ii) ecosystem services; iii) natural resources’ conservation; iv) sustainable agriculture; v) sustainable fisheries; vi) sustainable rural development; vii) climate resilience in coastal communities; and ix) blue economy. Regardless of the thematic area of intervention, the specialist is expected to participate actively in project supervision, monitoring, evaluation, analysis, and design, as well as contribute substantively to sector-relevant dialogues with clients, which also entails analytical work and knowledge generation and management.
What you’ll do:
- Project Supervision: Effectively supports the execution of projects and programs to improve their results. Supervises loan operations and technical cooperations, managing risks and promoting results and development effectiveness of operations throughout the project life. Contributes to portfolio management activities in collaboration with Representative, Chief of Operations, fiduciary specialists, and other sector specialists and, when applicable, to implementation of action plan to respond to issues identified. Prepares supervision plans and budgets, in contribution to country-specific planning/ work program.
- Monitoring and Evaluation: Participates in, designs and implements effective monitoring and evaluation methodologies for projects and programs. Prepares analytical knowledge products on operation’s effectiveness and lessons learned.
- Project Analysis and Design: Contributes to the identification, design and preparation of loans and technical cooperations that respond to country´s strategy and priority areas for the Bank. Conceptualizes, prepares, and participates in the approval of projects and programs, in coordination with other team members and the respective government authorities. Finds opportunities for technical and/or financial collaboration, including concessional funding with other organizations that foster sustainable development.
- Technical Sector Dialogue: Engages in policy dialogue based on proven knowledge of the sector, development challenges of client countries, and IDB policies, strategies and guidelines. Contributes to the sector dialogue with key partners, identifying potential areas of Bank support to further enrich the sustainable development of the region and the country the project focuses on.
- Sector Development: Takes actions to promote sector priorities based on country and regional needs and key IDB priorities. Contributes to the preparation of sector strategies and policies, consistent with country needs and sustainable development objectives.
- Change Management: Formulates and implements integrated proposals to contribute to sector modernization and transformation in Belize, and when applicable other borrowing member countries. Promotes approaches to increase social inclusion and gender equality in projects.
- Economic and Sector Work: Develops and carries out sector-relevant analytic work to inform country dialogues, loan operations and technical assistance programs, as well as support the preparation of country, sector and regional strategies.
- Knowledge Management and Dissemination: Optimally shares and disseminates sector-relevant knowledge and learning experience to enhance the relevance of the IDB to borrowing countries and the region. Builds and maintains internal and external networks that facilitate knowledge sharing.
What you’ll need:
Education: Professional with a post-graduate degree, master or equivalent, in environmental or biological sciences, agricultural economics, natural resources economics, economics, environmental engineering, natural resources management, or related fields.
Experience: You must have a minimum of eight years of relevant professional experience and will be required to demonstrate proven experience in the management of environmental and/or natural resources management projects, particularly in LAC countries. Experience with multilateral/ multi-donor funding desirable. Experience in design, supervision, and implementation of multi-sectorial projects; in fostering strategic alliances with private sector; and in securing concessional funding to finance sustainable development projects will be positively valued.
- Language: Oral and written native-like proficiency in English, and at least one of the other three official languages of the IDB (Spanish. Portuguese and French).
- Travel: Ability and disposition to travel regularly in Belize and other countries of LAC, including in rural areas.
Type of contract: Fixed term staff contract
Length of contract: 3 years
Starting date: Q1 2022
Requirements: You must be a citizen of one of the IDB’s 48 member countries and have no family members currently working at the IDB Group.
Our culture: Our people are committed and passionate about improving lives in Latin-America and the Caribbean, and they get to do what they love in a diverse, collaborative and stimulating work environment. We are the first Latin American and Caribbean development institution to be awarded the EDGE certification, recognizing our strong commitment to gender equality. As an employee you can be part of internal resource groups that connect our diverse community around common interests.
Because we are committed to providing equal opportunities in employment, we embrace all diversity and encourage women, LGBTQ+, persons with disabilities, afro-descendants, and Indigenous people to apply.
About us: At the IDB, we’re committed to improving lives. Since 1959, we’ve been a leading source of long-term financing for economic, social, and institutional development in Latin America and the Caribbean. We do more than lending though. We partner with our 48-member countries to provide Latin America and the Caribbean with innovative research about relevant development issues, policy advice to inform their decisions, and technical assistance to improve on the planning and execution of projects. For this, we need people who not only have the right skills, but also are passionate about improving lives.
The IDB offers a competitive remuneration and benefits package.
Our team in Human Resources carefully reviews all applications.
Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic and its implications for our Region, the IDB Group is reviewing its hiring needs and re-prioritizing its areas of talent acquisition. We encourage candidates to continue to apply to the active postings, yet current job openings may be subject to further decisions in terms of timing of the processes, or other actions, in accordance with business needs. Final hiring decisions may also be conditioned to the candidate’s ability to timely relocate to the post of duty at the moment of starting service. In the event, the selected candidate cannot relocate to the post of duty, the start date may have to be postponed or a temporary work agreement ratified, ad-hoc, in accordance with business needs and applicable policies, with the view of having the candidate physically present in the post of duty by July 1 at the latest, should travel regulations permit it.Additional Information
- External Opening Date: Nov 11, 2021
- External Closing Date: Nov 29, 2021
- External Contact Email: [email protected]
- Job Field: Sector