|Position Level||IS 5|
|Department||Sustainable Development and Climate Change Department|
|Division||Climate Change and Disaster Risk Management Division|
|Location||Asian Development Bank Headquarters|
|Date Posted||Thursday, October 28, 2021|
|Closing Date||Friday, November 26, 2021 11:59 p.m. (2359 Manila Time, 0800 GMT)|
This is a re-advertisement. Previous applicants need not apply. Applications received in response to previous posting will be considered together with applications received in response to this advertisement.
Close relatives1 of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions. Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB.
1Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle
Staff on probation are not eligible to apply. Applicants for promotion must have served at their position for at least one year and must have normally served at their personal level for at least two years immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date. Applicants for lateral transfer must have served at their position and personal level for at least one year immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date (reference A.O. 2.03, paragraphs 5.8 and 5.9).
In the event that the staff appointed to a new category (i.e. from AS to NS, or from NS to IS) is rated at 2 or lower in the first two performance reviews after appointment at the new level, they will return to the level occupied immediately prior to their appointment in the new category.
This is a special fixed-term appointment for a period of three (3) years following Section 3.1 (c.) of Administrative Order No. 2.01 (“Recruitment and Appointment’). This appointment is not convertible to a regular appointment. It may be extended on exceptional basis for a further fixed period at the option of ADB. This appointment is open to internal and external applicant. If the successful candidate is an ADB staff member holding a regular appointment, his/her regular appointment will be converted to a special fixed-term appointment. A special fixed-term appointment will automatically and without prior notice expire at the end of the term.
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The position is assigned in the Climate Change and Disaster Risk Management Division (SDCD) within the Sustainable Development and Climate Change Department. The Sustainable Development and Climate Change Department provides leadership, innovation, and knowledge sharing for ADB’s sector and thematic work. SDCD leads the Bank’s work in responding to the growing need for innovative policies, institutions, and investments to lead the region to a low carbon, climate and disaster resilient future; supports ADB’s operational departments to develop and implement climate and disaster resilience projects, to integrate disaster risk and climate change considerations into their broader portfolio of projects, and to access climate financing.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Senior Disaster and Climate Risk Financing Specialist will contribute to the enhanced financial management of disaster and climate risk across ADB’s developing member countries, working with ADB’s operational departments to prepare and implement disaster and climate risk financing solutions and strengthen disaster and climate risk financing capabilities in ADB’s developing member countries. The incumbent will report to the Director, SDCD, and will supervise national and administrative staff.
• Provide policy advice and inputs to operational staff and clients in developing member countries (DMCs) to develop disaster and climate risk financing strategies and approaches to enhance the financial management of extreme weather and geophysical events.
• Promote innovation and good practice, drawing on international experience and lessons learned.
• Provide technical inputs and advice to operational departments to identify, design, and implement disaster and climate risk financing solutions, including contingent disaster financing and risk transfer solutions.
• Provide analytical inputs into the assessment of disaster-related fiscal risk, government contingent liability, and the establishment of appropriate enabling environments, including as regards public financial management, post-disaster budget execution processes, and insurance legislation, regulations and incentives.
• Contribute to initiatives to strengthen the financial resilience of non-sovereign entities to extreme weather and geophysical events, e.g., of microfinance institutions, farmers, and small- and medium-sized enterprises.
• Identify and help facilitate access to global financing facilities supporting the design and implementation of disaster and climate risk financing solutions.
• Connect ADB operational staff and DMC governments to global and regional communities, including centers of excellence, working on disaster and climate risk financing.
• Prepare knowledge products on disaster and climate risk financing, contribute to capacity development in developing member countries, and represent ADB at external events.
• Contribute to the preparation and delivery of disaster and climate risk financing capacity development resources for ADB staff.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
• Master’s degree in economics, public financial risk management, finance, or relevant fields. Alternatively, university degree in related fields and at least 5 years specialized experience relevant to the position can be considered.
• Minimum of 10 years of relevant professional experience, including international work experience, in disaster and climate risk financing, including in the design and implementation of disaster and climate risk financing strategies and solutions.
• Strong understanding of government institutions, public financial management, contingent disaster liabilities, and financing options related to disaster and climate risk financing, with specific firsthand experience on engaging with governments in developing countries, preferably in Asia and the Pacific.
• In-depth knowledge of disaster insurance, including agriculture and property insurance, and related international experience.
• Strong understanding of the broader disaster and climate resilience agenda and of disaster risk modelling.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English is required
• Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for IS5.
The selected candidate, if new to ADB, is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.