Job Number: 2016 C005 | Vacancy Link
Work Type : Consultancy
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world’s leading children’s rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children’s survival, protection and development. The world’s largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Purpose of the Assignment
The objective of the consultancy is that the status of water well drilling in Angola is clearly documented and visualised, with clear recommendations for how it could be strengthened to ensure the provision of cost-effective boreholes.
Code of Practice Principle
Professional Drilling Enterprises and Consultants – Construction of drilled water wells and supervision is undertaken by professional and competent organisations which adhere to national standards and are regulated by the public sector.
Siting – Appropriate siting practices are utilised and competently and scientifically carried out.
Construction Method – The construction method chosen for the borehole is the most economical, considering the design and available techniques in-country. Drilling technology needs to match the borehole design.
Procurement – Procurement procedures ensure that contracts are awarded to experienced and qualified consultants and drilling contractors.
Design and Construction – The borehole design is cost-effective, designed to last for a lifespan of 20 to 50 years, and based on the minimum specification to provide a borehole which is fit for its intended purpose.
Contract Management, Supervision and Payment – Adequate arrangements are in place to ensure proper contract management, supervision and timely payment of the drilling contractor
Data and Information – High quality hydrogeological and borehole construction data for each well is collected in a standard format and submitted to the relevant Government authority.
Database and Record Keeping – Storage of hydrogeological data is undertaken by a central Government institution with records updated and information made freely available and used in preparing subsequent drilling specifications.
Monitoring – Regular visits to water users with completed boreholes are made to monitor functionality in the medium as well as long term with the findings published.
The main deliverables of the consultancy are:
- Short inception report that elaborates on the study methodology, timeline and proposed stakeholders to be interviewed.
- At least two verbal (face-to-face) meetings (with summary PPT presentations) during the study, with UNICEF Angola reporting on progress and key findings.
- Draft report (in English and Portuguese) covering the questions and information requirements in Table A1.1 and other pertinent issues raised.
- Final report (in English and Portuguese) covering the questions and information requirements in Table A1.1 and other pertinent issues raised.
- 30 minute presentation (with PPT slides) summarizing the key findings and recommendations
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- Extensive experience regarding groundwater provision for rural water supplies in sub-Saharan Africa (technologies and implementation approaches).
- Familiarity with NGO, Government and private sector (indigenous and foreign) participation in water supply programmes and projects.
- Proven experience of engaging with different stakeholders (Government, development partners, NGOs, private sector).
- Excellent analytical skills
- Excellent communication and report writing skills.
- Fluent in Portuguese and/or Spanish, and proficient in English.
- She/he must have a history of on-time, high-quality product delivery and excellent report writing skills.
- A master’s degree in hydrogeology, geology or a bachelor’s degree and at least ten years of practical experience in drilling siting, supervision and contract management
Years of relevant experience
least ten years of practical experience in drilling siting
Competencies of Successful Candidate
To view our competency framework, please click here.
Please indicate your ability, availability and daily/monthly rate (in US$) to undertake the terms of reference above (including travel and daily subsistence allowance, if applicable). Applications submitted without a daily/monthly rate will not be considered.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.
Opening Date 30 Aug 2016 W. Central Africa Standard Time
Closing Date 13 Sep 2016 W. Central Africa Standard Time