Water4, a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt entity incorporated under the laws of the State of Oklahoma, USA, is an international nonprofit using faith, innovation, and empowerment to reimagine a world free from the water crisis. Water4 equips missional entrepreneurs in developing nations to create lasting economic, physical and spiritual change through market-based safe water solutions. This approach puts the solutions to local problems in the hands of local people and ensures that safe water access is sustained by local resources. Since 2008, Water4 has impacted the lives of over one million people in more than 30 countries through the power of safe and living water.
The Programs Manager (PM) works closely with the Director of Community Engagement to expand Water4’s Sales, Marketing, and WASH programming. This includes building out Water4’s new community engagement process as it relates to sales, marketing, and market-based WASH. These materials, processes, and training directly support the effective and ongoing sale of Numa safe water and Pump insurance, which ultimately leads to sustainably provided safe water. All sales, marketing, and WASH materials will be implemented through Water4 enterprise partners, with the goal of optimizing a standard, cohesive community engagement strategy. The PM will closely monitor related metrics to determine the effectiveness of various strategies to increase penetration and usage within the consumer market. The PM will work closely with the Core Competency Manager (based in Africa) for material creation, enterprise training and support, and learning. The PM will be successful when enterprise partners are seeing increased Numa water sales and increased Pump insurance compliance.
The PM will also support programmatic operations at Water4, managing and developing 2-4 Water4 partner enterprises. This position will require prompt communication, the ability to develop annual work plans, ensuring the completion of quality deliverables, and the management of key relationships.
Finally, the PM will support special projects, particularly related to monitoring and evaluation and core competency support. Travel will be primarily focused on enterprise training and coaching managers in Sub-Saharan Africa, in addition to maintaining strong relationships with enterprise partners.
Time Allocation of Responsibilities
% Time Allocation and Responsibility
40% – Leads the updating, development, and deployment of Water4’s sales, marketing, and market-based WASH tools that support the sales of Numa piped water and Pump Insurance. This is done in collaboration with the related Core Competency Manager, Director of Community Engagement, and related staff at key enterprises. Materials will be field-tested and continuously improved.
20% – Actively review sales and compliance metrics related to the impact of all developed materials and training within enterprise partners. Monitoring and evaluation will incorporate testing of various strategies in experimental environments to determine why tactics succeed or fail, and to identify best practices.
25% – Serves as project manager for assigned Water4 partner enterprises in Africa and South America. This includes but is not limited to: managing the relationships between Water4 and partner enterprises including day-to-day support, planning and budgeting, logistical support, and making regular field visits; ensuring reporting from Water4 partner enterprises is submitted on time, accurate, and synthesized into the Program Departments monthly and quarterly reporting; and, regularly making field visits to perform enterprise health checks through the auditing of activities, outputs, and finances.
15% – Coordinate with Core Competency Manager and Champions to develop and mentor enterprise partner employees working within sales, marketing, and market-based WASH roles.
Qualifications and education requirements
- 3+ years’ experience working in a management-level position with significant budgetary responsibility and managing complex deliverables.
- Experience in sales, marketing, or WASH (water, sanitation, and hygiene) to support safe water projects or public health projects.
- BS in Public Health, International Development, Sales & Marketing, Business or related fields.
- Experience managing cross-cultural projects, systems, and personnel.
- Experience using communication platforms such as MS Office suite, project management platforms, cloud-based email services, workflow sharing, and document storage platforms.
- Must be able to effectively and creatively share with diverse and distinct audiences Water4’s vision for helping create a world where all people have access to clean and Living water.
- Demonstrated organizational and communication skills as well as the ability to work with and motivate other development professionals and volunteers.
- Capacity to work independently and within a team environment.
- Ability to work closely with CFO/Controller for account reconciliation.
- Desire and interest in developing, motivating, and mentoring staff.
- Master’s degree in a related field such as public health, international development, or business.
- Experience with low margin, high volume sales strategy.
- Experience in market or customer research.
- Experience in building and maintaining brand awareness.
- Experience maintaining good customer relationships and customer service operations.
- Experience in Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene service delivery and behavior change.
- Experience helping with the promotion and sale of WASH products or convenience goods.
- Experience building processes, systems, and training for use in a cross-cultural context.
- Talent for working cooperatively to achieve common goals; support cooperation, collaboration, and the sharing of information continuously improving standards to maintain quality.
- Proficiency in French.
- Mastery in listening carefully to and understanding the needs of others, both internally and externally, and proactively respond to those needs in a consistent and timely manner.
- Strength to provide direction and motivation to others through communication, modeling appropriate behavior, optimism, and high achievement.