The International Water Management Institute (IWMI) is looking for a high-performing, motivated individual to create and implement bold, innovative communication strategies aimed at building and strengthening communication of our high-caliber research. Senior Manager – Communications and Knowledge Management, will lead and inspire all communications within IWMI, and provide leadership to a multicultural team of communication, information technology (IT) and information management specialists to effectively redefine and invigorate IWMI’s brand and messaging.
You will have the opportunity to build a thriving, collaborative culture for communications and knowledge management at IWMI and also to build the skills of the Institute’s communications team and work directly with the scientists to help turn their research into impactful communication materials. Your ability to work in collaboration with the Program Leadership Team and Program Management Office is essential to ensure outreach and impact through IWMI’s research projects and create success stories for the Institute. Reporting to the Director, Partnerships and Knowledge Management, you will be based at IWMI’s headquarters in Colombo, Sri Lanka.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Creative thinker with energy to problem solve.
- Creative and willing to lead a team in developing innovative communications for IWMI
- A skilled, dynamic writer and editor.
- Have a proven strong understanding of social media and of how media works.
- Fluency in English essential.
MINIMUM EDUCATIONAL QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- Master’s degree in Communications or International Communications.
- Minimum 10 years’ experience as professional work experience in media/communications, preferably internationally, with experience with a range of communications tools and techniques.
- Solid experience as a writer and the ability to grasp scientific and technical concepts and communicate them clearly to various audiences; A positive team player with good inter-personal skills and the ability to work with people from a wide variety of cultures.
- Management and organizational experience.
- Experience in planning, implementing and evaluating complex communication programs.
- Experience in working for a research facility or within the development sector is an advantage.
This is an internationally recruited position with a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes a housing allowance, transport, education, shipping assistance, annual home leave, retirement and health insurance package.
IWMI is an equal opportunity employer and emphasizes the importance of regional and gender diversity in identifying candidates for this position and its staff more generally.