PEGASYS is an advisory group focusing on developmental impact in emerging economies. We are trusted advisors and partners to the public and private sector, helping them manage natural resources and develop vital public infrastructure. We are head-quartered in Cape Town, South Africa. We address global issues, whilst our work is focused and delivered predominantly in South, East and West Africa.
PEGASYS has built a globally recognised track-record of assisting governments, international financial institutions, and private clients and investors in responding to the challenges of climate change and natural resource management. We are now looking to recruit a Consultant to join our team and focus on supporting the delivery of Nature Based Solutions (NBS) in global cities, to enhance their long-term water security as well as maintain ecosystem services. The role will be best fulfilled in either our Cape Town or Pretoria offices. This individual will also support the delivery of our portfolio of climate finance, natural resource management and infrastructure work, as well as support our long-term consulting and project implementation assignments.
The Consultant will be required to engage with, and coordinate, a multidisciplinary team of internal and external experts to deliver NBS across the Global South and Europe. They should have a working knowledge of Nature Based Solutions (NBS), or other similar catchment management interventions and/or practices, such as Best Management Practices (BMPs or Agricultural BMPs), Water Sensitive Urban Design (WSUD), Sustainable Drainage Systems (SuDS), etc., with demonstrable sectoral expertise in water, agriculture and climate change (adaptation and/or mitigation).
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Engaging and managing multidisciplinary teams of internal and external experts to deliver;
- Identifying and engaging key actors and diverse stakeholders in cities and catchments
- Producing high quality research and analysis that combines technical, social, environmental, institutional, financial and economic project elements;
- Assessing ecosystem services costs and benefits from biodiversity and other natural capital;
- Providing expertise on NBS, biodiversity, livelihoods and climate finance, for internal teams; and
- Supporting climate finance project teams providing costs, benefit, and environmental valuation expertise.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Post-graduate degree in an appropriate field including(but not limited to) Environmental or Natural Resource Economics, Engineering (Civil or Environmental), Environmental Sciences, Business Sciences.
- 2-5 years of working in consultancy, development organization, think-tank or relevant corporate setting.
- Strong team and project management expertise, with experience in team coordination and facilitation.
- A working knowledge of NBS, or other similar catchment management interventions and/or practices, and demonstrable sectoral expertise in water, agriculture and climate change (adaptation and/or mitigation).
- Demonstrable understanding of financial and investment concepts and ideally approaches to designing and financing NBS.
- Experience of working in Sub-Saharan Africa and other Global South countries;
- Foreign language proficiency in French, Portuguese or Spanish.
KEY SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES
- Self-motivated, self-driven, with the ability to work independently and deliver tasks entirely at the level of quality expected, with appropriate supervision or guidance.
- An energetic problem-solver, who is open-minded with multi-perspective views on international development, natural resource management, infrastructure delivery, governance systems and policies.
- Strong quantitative aptitude and a grounding in financial and/or economic principles.
- A team player who is productive working in a collaborative, inter-disciplinary environment.
- Desire to contribute towards making the world a better place, and belief that a small group of committed and hard-working individuals can have a significant impact.
In line with the company’s employment equity plan, this role is an employment equity position and open to such applications.
Closing date: 12th of November 2021