Provide advice, expertise and support to operations on environmental safeguards and environment management issues. Support the coordination and implementation of cross regional cooperation initiatives. Develop knowledge products and disseminate these through internal and external networks, design and deliver training and undertake other knowledge management activities. Adhere to broad policies and objectives of ADB in working directly with clients, with supervision for critical tasks.
Strategy and Planning
- Support the preparation of country or sub-regional assessments, including inputs for country programming to integrate environment management priorities in Country Partnership Strategy/Regional Country Partnership Strategy.
Operational Advice and Support
- Advise on environment safeguard compliance risks in the design and implementation of environmentally sensitive and projects, including design of necessary mitigation measures.
- Provide advice and support to operations departments to mainstream environment in country operations and enhance project quality, including participation in project teams.
Knowledge Generation and Sharing
- Develop knowledge products, services, and partnerships to promote environmental sustainability objectives.
- Conduct training and capacity building activities for staff, executing agencies of developing member countries (DMCs), and other concerned parties on environmental management and safeguard issues.
- Process and implement regional technical assistance projects to promote regional cooperation and deliver global and regional public goods related to environment.
- Develop and maintain regional partnerships to enhance knowledge and best practices on environment.
Provide leadership and support to reporting staff.
Supervise the performance of reporting staff providing clear direction and regular monitoring and feedback on performance.
Ensure the on-going learning and development of reporting staff.
Application of Technical Knowledge and Skills
- Regularly shares knowledge on new international best practice trends in comparator situations
- Proactively applies relevant international best practices to own work
- Convinces others to adopt international best practice by explaining the situational relevance and benefits
- Helps colleagues work effectively with clients in different contexts and from diverse backgrounds and country situations
- Adapts own approach and style when interacting with clients, as opposed to requiring them to adapt
- Draws upon international best practice in exploring solutions with clients
- Confirms the clients’ understanding and agreement before progressing
Achieving Results and Problem Solving
- Draws on own and others’ multi-country experience to identify viable courses of action when conducting analyses
- Helps internal and external clients achieve quality results beyond presenting problems and precedent
- Highlights possible solutions for project issues based on relevant multi-country and/or multi-client experience
- Regularly contributes insights and experiences to colleagues in the Division to help them achieve quality results
- Overcomes unexpected difficulties and challenges to produce desired outcomes
- Maintains collaborative relationships within the Department
- Works effectively with diverse colleagues in own and other Divisions and Departments
- Flexibly alters positions and adjusts previously stated points of view to support the group consensus
- Follows through on team priorities in the absence of a team leader
Communication and Knowledge Sharing
- Checks the audience’s level of understanding and awareness of required follow up actions
- Consistently seeks and addresses feedback on own performance
- Creates knowledge products endorsed for wider distribution based on lessons and multi-country experience
- Independently amends and clarifies messages and documents
Innovation and Change
- Actively supports work improvement and/or organizational change by work and deed
- Develops and adopts change plans to support Division initiatives on which one works
- Considers current and future client needs in proposing ideas
- Vocalizes early support for change
- Recommends inputs to new policies, systems and processes in immediate work area
Master’s degree in Environment Management, Environment Sciences, Environmental Engineering, environmental economics or other related specialized fields. University degree in Environment Management, Environment Sciences, Environmental Engineering Environmental Economics or other related fields, combined with 10 years of specialized experience in similar organization/s, may be considered in lieu of a Master’s degree.
At least 8 years of relevant experience in environmental policy and management in a professional capacity and significant experience in environmental impact assessment of projects.
Knowledge of policy and regulatory frameworks for environmental management in DMCs, environmental standards, and good practices.
Good understanding of the environment operations, policies, and procedures of multilateral development and financing institutions.
International experience working in several countries in Asia and the Pacific.
Provide application of expertise within a specific area, or breadth across multiple areas with in-depth knowledge within one area.
Able to filter, generate and share relevant knowledge to benefit the broader ADB community
People and leadership skills
Act as a mentor to the more junior team members, providing guidance on projects or processing of loans/technical assistance
Act as a coach to develop capabilities/potential of more junior colleagues
Able to act as a team leader when required with supervision from the Director or a more senior team leader.
- Supervisor: Director, SDES
- The following staff positions may be supervised by the incumbent:
- Administrative Staff
- National Staff
We encourage diversity in our workplace and support an inclusive work environment. Women are especially encouraged to apply.