As one of the original eight pilot countries for the UN Reform Initiative Delivering as One, Tanzania is a global leader in advancing reforms of the UN system, with a view to support accelerated harmonization in implementation practices, coherence in programming, and alignment with national systems, intended to produce a reduction in transaction costs and enhanced development impact. Deepening reform will require new and even more innovative ways for the UN agencies to work together in formulating and implementing UNDAP II. Programme planning, resource mobilization, evaluation, and review activities will be done collaboratively. There will be increased harmonization of UN policies, procedures and tools, possibly leading towards the establishment of a One UN Operations Team.
- The Programme Team works in three focus areas namely
- Inclusive Growth,
- Sustainable Development and
Democratic Governance. The Sustainable Development focus area covers two divisions namely the Environment and Natural Resources Management and Energy, Climate Change and Extractives sector. Within the Sustainable Development focus area, the Programme Associate works under the overall guidance and direct supervision of the Programme Specialists to provide support with the daily operations of projects, including project management in Atlas e.g. budget revisions, review of FACE reports, direct payments and non-PO vouchers, and also support the bidding and contracting processes under NIM when UNDP is a responsible party, e.g. review/advise on term of reference, technical specifications and bid documents, offers/proposals evaluation, and contract administration for development projects, ensuring transparency and capacity building in key processes. The Programme Associate ensures effective delivery of the CO programme by entering and managing data and supporting programme implementation throughout project cycle while remaining consistent with UNDP rules and regulations guided by the POPP. The functions are embedded with a virtual team across the thematic areas but also working closely with the Programme Finance and Procurement teams in order to fast-track processes and ensure that there are sufficient capacities to manage the workload at peak times.
The Programme Associate works in close collaboration with the operations, programme and projects’ staff in the CO and UNDP HQs as required for resolving complex finance-related issues and exchange of information.
Duties and Responsibilities
Functions / Key Results Expected
Summary of Key Functions:
- Support to the formulation of programme strategies and implementation of the Common Country Programme and UNDAP
- Support to the management of the CO programme, administration of budgets and optimal cost-recovery
- Finance and administrative support to the Programme Unit
- Support to project-related communication with partners
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing
1.Supports formulation of programme strategies and implementation of the Common Country Programme and UNDAP focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Collection, analysis and presentation of background information for preparation and updating of the UN Development Assistance Plan (replaces CCA, UNDAF, CPD, CPAP), effective application of RBM tools and establishment of management targets (BSC).
- Presentation of background information for formulation of country programme, draft project documents, work plans, budgets, proposals on implementation arrangements.
- Contribution to the interagency process of harmonization of programme and project management practices as a key instrument of further deepening UN Reform
2. Provides effective support to management of the CO programme focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Presentation of information for formulation of country programme work plans, budgets, proposals on implementation arrangements and execution modalities. Entry of data of new grants into Atlas in the form of Annual Work Plans (AWPs), monitoring of their status
- Creation of projects in Atlas, preparation of required budget revisions, revision of project awards and project status, determination of unutilized funds, operational and financial close of projects.
- Provision of guidance to the executing agencies on routine implementation of projects, tracking use of financial resources.
- Presentation of information for audit of NEX projects and supports implementation of audit recommendations.
- Preparation of reports
3. Provides administrative support to the Programme Unit focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Proper control of the supporting documents for timely payments and financial reports for NEX/DEX projects; preparation of PO and non-PO vouchers for development projects.
- Review of NEX projects Financial Reports; preparation of non-PO vouchers for development projects.
- Maintenance of the internal expenditures control system which ensures that vouchers processed are matched and completed; transactions are correctly recorded and posted in Atlas.
- Timely corrective actions on unposted vouchers, including the vouchers with budget check errors, match exceptions, unapproved vouchers.
- Creation of requisitions in Atlas for development projects, register of goods receipt in Atlas.
- Making budget check for requisitions, POs and vouchers.
- Documentation and maintenance of filing system in compliance with audit requirements and CO e-document management policy.
4. Support to project-related communication with partners focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Drafting of timely, high quality official correspondence and meeting minutes
- Planning and preparation of high quality conferences, meetings, and events to support the project initiation, running and closure processes
- Effective liaison with partners regarding the implementation of the programme
- Participate in missions, workshops and project activities as applicable
5. Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Strengthened project management practices and application of UNDP’s rules, regulations, and policies as well as UN interagency agreements
- Organization of trainings for the operations/ projects staff and national counterparts on programme.
- Contribution to inter-agency knowledge management activities under Delivering as One, particularly as relating to projects and programme.
- Synthesis of lessons learnt and best practices in programme and participation in knowledge dissemination activities as applicable.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice, particularly in the area of project management.
Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the overall performance of the Programme Unit and success in implementation of programme strategies. Accurate analysis, data entry and presentation of information ensure proper programme implementation.
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making Prince2 training and certification, RMG
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education preferably with specialized certification in Project Management, Accounting and Finance. University Degree in Business or Public Administration, Economics, Political Sciences and Social Sciences would be desirable, but it is not a requirement.
- 6 years of progressively responsible administrative or programme experience is required at the national or international level. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
- Fluency in English and Kiswahili.
- Good communication skills.
Qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply. Only Short-listed applicants will be contacted. UNDP is the UN’s global development network, advocating for change and connecting countries to knowledge, experiences and resources to help people build a better life.