Duration of contract: 12 months, renewable depending on performance and funding availability.
Duty Station: Nairobi with regular travel to the field.
o Career development opportunities with ACF
o Comprehensive medical cover for self and dependents
o Individual training and capacity building budget
o Opportunity to work in a nice and friendly environment with a dynamic team
• At least masters BSC degree in Engineering, Public Health or relevant field
• More than 10 years’ experience in WaSH sector with at least 5 years at strategic level management
• Experience in WASH service delivery in Kenya (urban and rural)
• Technical expertise in water, sanitation and hygiene
• Water, Sanitation and Public Health technical experience relevant to developing contexts
• Knowledge of social behavior change, good governance practices, and with gender-mainstreaming, social inclusion and empowerment principles;
• A sound understanding of the Kenya Water Reform context
• Proven experience in resource mobilization; design of programs, development of project proposals and good understanding of international donor guidelines and management;
• Experience in project cycle management
• Hands on experience in project management with bias to technical support
• Sound expertise in strengthening of the staff capacities
• Proven analytical skills, demonstrated creativity in analysis of situations and data
• Excellent reporting and computer skills a must
• Fluency in English with excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Provenn ability to work under pressure and within strict time limits
• Strong personality and maturity
• Strong capacity to make quick decisions.
• High degree in motivation, result oriented creativeness and adaptability
• Excellent communication, coordination, interpersonal and organizational skills
• Proven ability to work with limited resources
Founded in 1979, ACF International (Action Against Hunger) is an international humanitarian organization that delivers programs in over 40 countries. Recognized worldwide as a leader in the fight against hunger, our mission is to save lives through the prevention, detection, and treatment of malnutrition, especially during and after emergency situations and conflicts. From crisis to sustainability, Action Against Hunger tackles the underlying causes of malnutrition and its effects. By integrating our programs with local and national systems, we further ensure that short-term interventions become long-term solutions. With Head Offices in France, the United Kingdom, Spain, the United States and Canada, our international network shares its combined resources, breadth of experience and technical expertise in pursuit of a world without hunger. ACF has been present in Kenya since 2001 and is currently implementing WaSH activities in Tana River County.
ACF’s country strategy 2015-2020 is anchored on two (2) pillars: (i) Addressing all forms of undernutrition and (ii) Ending Drought Emergencies. To contribute to the two pillars long term WaSH strategy is required. ACF is supporting governance, behavior change, entrepreneurship principles and innovative approach to enhance WaSH access and service delivery for the poor communities. Integration of WaSH program with other relevant program is encouraged to optimize impact and increase synergy in programming. ACF is committed to advance principles of inclusivity and gender mainstreaming in the programming to promote equal opportunities for all.
ACF-Kenya is looking for a young and highly dynamic head of department to develop and give a vision that will ensure impact and relevance of the water, sanitation and hygiene programs in Kenya in line with the most recent technological and approach developments, including governance and micro-entrepreneurship applied to WASH programming, and on developing a new global thinking along Maternal, Infant and Young Children-WASH practices (MIYC-WP) that would reinforce the over-arching ACF goal of reducing undernutrition.
The position will be based in Nairobi with regular travel to the field to provide technical support during project implementation and monitor the quality.
• Be a driving force in developing, designing, implementing innovative and impactful WASH interventions in line with current development in Kenya and as to ensure positive, sustained and measurable impact on community health and nutrition.
• Lead the strategy development and the implementation – Develop, coordinate, implement, monitor and evaluate ACF Kenya WaSH strategy as well as mainstreaming the international strategy plan
• Provide technical support while strengthening existing capacities within ACF and with partners.
• Active networking and representation – develop and enhance ACF’s position at country and regional level
• Lead in quality assurance on WaSH programs through follow up and bench marking of WaSH programs
• Promote effective operations within the mission
Objective 1: Develop and implement the WaSH strategy
• Ensuring the department has a long term WaSH vision coherent with other programs and demonstrate the added value of WaSH in achieving the mission Goals
• Actively participate in development of the mission WaSH strategy ensuring Community needs are considered as well as national and sub national governments priorities
• Ensure input from the technical teams at field level are included in the WaSH strategy and support the team during implementation
• Ensuring projects design and implementation are in line with the validated WaSH strategy
Objective 2: Support and advocate for design and implementation of innovative and integrated WaSH programs in collaboration with other departments
• To advise and provide technical support in the design and implementation of high quality programs in the mission
• Promote and provide technical expertise to strengthen WaSH governance and advocacy capacity in the organisation
• Support innovative market-based solutions to WaSH challenges including promotion of Public Private Partnerships in the WASH sector
• Promote participatory resource mobilisation process for WaSH programs in partnership with other departments (Nutrition FSL, Finance, logistics) and field teams with core consideration of community priority needs and existing enabling environment (County Integrated plans)
• Take lead in complex assignments, set benchmarks for results, and monitor quality during implementation of WaSH activities
• Ensure effective development of results, efficient utilisation of resources and accountability to the community and the donor
Objective 3: Promote program integration, innovation and partnership
• Support integration with nutrition and FSL during assessment, designing, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of WaSH projects and optimise existing opportunities to increase impact of WaSH programs
• Strengthen and encourage cross learning and information sharing between nutrition and FSL within the team at strategic and implementation level
• Advocate and promote development of innovative initiatives targeting sustainability of community WaSH services and optimum impact
• Promote strategic partnership in scaling up WaSH initiatives to increase impact
• Advocate and promote increased multi sectoral programming to enhance synergy in programming
Objective 4: Promote and represent WaSH Sector and the organisation at regional, national or international level as required
• Ensure technical credibility of the organisation is maintained within the WaSH stakeholders and donor fora
• Ensure participation of ACF within WASH sector co-ordination forums at the national and regional level (includes WESCOORD and public health and sanitation coordination forums) in a way that promotes the organisation and emphasis ACF expertise in the WASH sector
• Ensure the department is up to date of ongoing in other sectors relevant to WaSH (Nutrition and FSL) as well as cross cutting sectoral coordination forums
• Develop and maintain relationships with stakeholders through partnerships and consortiums
• Support collaboration with the government authorities, ACF counterparts, partner agencies and consortium
• Share WaSH good practices with other stakeholders
Objective 5: Enhance effective operations within the mission in liaison with support departments in Nairobi (Finance, Logistics and Human Resources)
• As required, assist the HOD finance to communicate and follow up outstanding financial and operational issues to the donors during the implementation of projects
• Liaise with the HOD logistics, HORs and the WaSH team to re-inforce adherence to logistics procedures and requirements.
• Liaise with the WaSH team in identifying key areas of training and provide recommendation to human resource department
• Promote equality for all genders in recruitment of WaSH team in liaison with Human Resources Department through transparent process.
Interested candidates should forward their applications including a cover letter and curriculum vitae. to: www.myjobsinkenya.com/action Certificates will be required later on in the recruitment process by Close of Business 9th September 2016, applications received past the deadline will not be processed.
NB: Applications will be assessed on a rolling basis.
Application open to Kenyan nationals only