Improve access to remote locations as well as access to safe water and sanitation for the target population, effectively managing the assigned WASH and infrastructure project(s) in line with the objectives, budget and timeframe laid down in the proposal(s). Enhancing beneficiary participation; Managing and training local staff; Implementing control and quality procedures in cooperation with the Project Quality Manager (PQM); Assessing, planning and initiating new infrastructure and WASH projects / proposals.
The project is a WASH and infrastructure project to be implemented in Bunia.
Bunia, D.R. Congo
As soon as possible
Initial Contract Details
Full time, minimum 24 months
Key Activity Areas
- Be responsible for the implementation, management, supervision and support of the assigned infrastructure and / or WASH project(s) in line with the activity plan and time frame of the relevant project proposal(s) and any applicable national and international guidelines and standards as well as providing support to the Wash & Infrastructure Advisor (WIA) in developing new standards.
- Manage the quality construction of all infrastructure structures, ensuring good maintenance and sustainable processes are put in place.
- Ensure that regular monitoring and evaluation assessments are conducted both against project objectives and to ensure the quality of the programme, with reports being made to the relevant field managers. This will be done through frequent visits to field locations and involve a lot of travelling.
- Provide input into the integration of beneficiary participation and accountability (BA) in all aspects of the project. Help integrate beneficiary participation into the existing project(s) framework: comities, random selection of casual labourer for interview and help develop new ways in integrating BA into infrastructure project(s).
- Support the WI Advisor in analysing former infrastructure and WASH projects and budgets in order to improve project and budget quality and procedures.
- Manage and oversee the assigned team including recruitment, day-to-day management, development and training, appraisals, etc.
- Hold monthly team meetings with the assigned team(s), reviewing team and individual objectives, ensuring team members are kept informed of issues relevant to their work and providing an opportunity for feedback.
- Promote the health and security of the team(s) by providing support to the WIA in developing security guidelines in the workplace and ensuring healthy living conditions and practices are being followed.
- On occasions work with casual labour or other Medair staff to achieve specific, time-bound tasks.
- Work with the relevant field managers to plan, construct and manage budgets for the project(s).
- Coordinate and oversee petty cash requirements of the assigned team(s).
Communication and Coordination
- Represent Medair at relevant local level coordination meetings involving local authorities, UN agencies and other NGOs.
- Manage the ordering of all necessary Infrastructure and WASH supplies and equipment for the assigned activities, ensuring minimum stocks are maintained and items are stored and distributed correctly and timely.
- Ensure the careful use, regular servicing and appropriate replacement of all equipment, within budgetary constraints.
- Implement relevant policies and standards relating to current operations including national, and international standards.
Field – Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the vision and values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Work and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings.
- Instigate and contribute to prayer times within internationally recruited staff and HQ teams.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international programmes and HQ prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks and conveys the spirit of the sort of tasks that are anticipated proactively from staff. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary according to organisational needs.
- Higher level qualification in a technical field, preferably in water and sanitation
- BSc / MSc in Water / Environmental Engineering or Management or Civil Engineering or Hydrology / Geology desirable
- Strong working knowledge of French (spoken and written)
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written)
- Ability to speak, or willingness to learn, local language: Lingala and/or Swahili
Experience / Competencies
- 2 years post-qualification professional experience in a relevant field
- Management experience in a WASH context desirable; experience using GIS software desirable
- Technical WASH skills within a humanitarian setting
- Knowledge and understanding of humanitarian standards such as Sphere and HAP
- Able to develop and maintain effective relationships with colleagues, beneficiaries, other agencies and local authorities; good communicator, able to pass on information efficiently; diplomatic
- Ability and willingness to manage project implementation; planning, assessment and analytical skills
- Team-player with good inter-personal skills; aptitude for community mobilisation and capacity-building
- Capacity to work under pressure and manage personal stress levels
Profiles sought for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS) roles in the field
- Professionals with 12 months or more relevant relief or development experience (Experienced Relief Workers)
- Professionals with less than 12 months relevant relief or development experience (New Relief Workers)
- Experienced professionals in a relevant Medair sector of expertise
- Overseas intercultural experience
- Fully committed to the Medair values; to reflect the vision and values of Medair with team members, local staff, and external contacts
- Strong working knowledge of English, spoken and written
- Working knowledge of French, spoken and written, for French-speaking field programmes
- Able to live and work in a multicultural team under difficult conditions
- Strong character traits, including emotional stability, adaptability, ability to handle stress, cultural and gender sensitivity, honesty, and physically fit
- Single or married (with no children under 18). If married, your spouse must also apply.
- All potential candidates for field positions must successfully complete the Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC). Information, dates and related costs can be found via this link.
The benefits package provided to all Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS)
- Comprehensive briefing at our Swiss Headquarters, as well as an in-country briefing
- Security training for those going to insecure environments
- Accommodation, food, and transportation in-country
- Return flights to and from the country programme (one return flight for every year of service)
- Rest and recuperation (R&R) leave (including travel, accommodation, and food)
- Annual leave
- Comprehensive medical and emergency rescue insurance, with up to 60 days post-assignment coverage, including debriefing
- Disability insurance
Specific benefits for Experienced Relief Workers (IRS)
(Applicants with 12 months or more relevant relief or development experience)
- A salary based upon the grade of the position and experience of the position-holder, starting from USD 1,700 per month
- Contribution matching programme for retirement savings
- Additional contract benefit allowance for those who commit to longer contracts
- Highly subsidised contribution to Medair ROC travel and accommodation costs
Specific benefits for New Relief Workers (IRS)
(Applicants with less than 12 months relevant relief or development experience)
- USD 300 per month
- As soon as 12 months relief work or its equivalent has been completed, a salary based upon the grade of the position, starting from USD 1,700 per month, and other experienced relief worker benefits
- The job may require frequent travel under difficult circumstances to field locations with very basic living conditions.
Please fill out your application for this position via the apply buttons on this page. Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications.
Only English-language applications and CVs will be reviewed.
Medair does not set closing / deadline dates for applications; recruitment is on-going until the position is filled.