The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
The primary objective of the WASH specialist is to provide technical and strategic advice, identify best practices and lessons learned, and ensure external representation in relevant sectors. The WASH specialist will further develop and coordinate NRC’s WASH program in Ethiopia and Djibouti in close collaboration with the other NRC Project and Programme Managers, and to contribute effectively to the WASH coordination mechanisms for all humanitarian and developmental actors.
The WASH Specialist reports to the Head of Programme.
Applicants for this position may be considered for similar positions in other countries within the region.
- Generic Responsibilities
- Develop CC strategy, technical guidance and Macro LFAs
- Compliance with and adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures
- Contribute to fundraising, develop and revise funding proposal, budgets and donor reports
- Identify trends technical standards and donor priorities
- Follow up on compliance with contractual commitments within CC, ensure high technical quality and synergies in project implementation
- Provide technical direction and project implementation support
- Ensure that key learnings are extracted from CC implementation, and incorporate them in CC and staff development processes
- Provide systematic training and build capacity of technical staff
- Represent NRC in relevant forums/clusters, including with national authorities and donors
- Promote the rights of IDPs/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy
- Specific Responsibilities:
- Strategy Development:
- Provide WASH specific contextual analysis as input to the Country Strategy and Contingency Plan to development programme manager & HoPU.
- WASH Programme Development and donor reporting:
- Contribute to identifying funding opportunities for NRC Ethiopia and Djibouti WASH programme.
- Responsible for developing and revising funding proposals, budget and donor reports (split per area), in accordance with the WASH strategies and priorities, programme policy and international standards.
- Proactively support and follow up PCs in conducting high quality donor reporting.
- Advice on developing high quality and innovative WASH programmes across NRC’s country of operation (Djibouti & Ethiopia).
- Technical Programme Support:
- Provide technical guidance and advice to WASH PMs & PCs at all stages of the program cycle (assessments, implementation, monitoring and evaluation).
- Responsible for technical quality and innovation within WASH, and synergies with other CCs.
- Provide technical direction and project implementation support to AMs, PMs and PCs in the field. Ensure harmonization and consistency across all WASH projects.
- Responsible for following up on compliance with contractual commitments (i.e. quality, timeliness, use of resources), and providing recommendations to PMs& PCs to achieve project targets and indicators.
- Ensure effective and efficient program monitoring and reporting processes are in place and implemented in full collaboration with the M&E Coordinator.
- Evaluate, review and perform quality control of ongoing and completed WASH programmes and projects.
- Responsible for the achievement of beneficiaries’ satisfaction through the appropriate technical design of programmes.
- Responsible for identifying key learnings and incorporate them in development processes, capacity building and mentoring support.
- Implement Best Practice, tools and processes and ensure that they are applied in projects.
- University degree in relevant areas: civil engineering, environmental sciences etc; etc.. master’s qualification in related area an advantage
- At least five years of relevant field experience in international project-management.
- Experience in developing strategies and overseeing their delivery;
- Experience in WASH program implementation at the field-level, and WASH support function at national or regional level.
- Solid experience in water management , WASH program development, preferably from refugee/IDP situation in complex emergencies;
- Experience in capacity building and training of staff;
- Significant understanding of complex emergencies and crisis contexts;
- Experience in coordination mechanisms on global, national and regional levels;
- Strong written and oral communications skills including ability to write technical documents and give presentations to colleagues in and outside of NRC.
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
- Knowledge of French will be an asset.
- Civil engineering / construction
- Academy college / University
- Demonstrate ability in thinking creatively and practically to improve the quality of projects
- Demonstrate ability in conceptual, analytical and critical thinking with the ability to develop strategies
- Strong project management and planning skills: assessments, design, implementation, monitoring, evaluation; with good skills in managing related data analysis
- Strong capacity building, facilitation, and presentation skills
- Strong capacity in influencing and liaison with a range of stakeholders and represent in high profile environments
- Duty station: Djibouti, but the post holder will also cover the Ethiopia country programme with frequent field travels expected.
- Contract duration: 12 months with possibility of extension. Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions, The candidate will observe NRC’s code of conduct and working hours for the NRC Djibouti/Ethiopia.