Application Deadline: This position will be posted until November 2, 2021.
Term: This is a 1 year-term position with possibility of extension.
Relocation: Relocation assistance is not available for this position.
Work Authorization: UCAR/NCAR will sponsor a work visa to fill this position.
Location: In light of the ongoing coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic and restricted access to UCAR facilities, UCAR will allow temporary remote work arrangements for newly hired employees. Eventual relocation to UCAR facilities in Boulder, CO is preferred for this specific position.
Hiring Salary Range: $68,220
Full Salary Range: $68,220
Benefits: UCAR affirms its continuing commitment to developing, providing, and administering its employee benefit programs with due consideration for equal employment opportunity and diversity guidelines.
UCAR’s rich package of employee benefits includes medical, dental, vision, education assistance, retirement, and life insurance. UCAR offers a variety of programs designed to assist with work-life balance including flexible work alternatives, paid time off and 14 weeks of paid parental leave.
Vaccine Requirements: As required by Executive Order 14042, all Federal Contractor employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 regardless of the employee’s duty location or work arrangement (e.g., telework, remote work, etc.), subject to such exceptions as required by law. Effective immediately, UCAR requires all new employees to be fully vaccinated prior to entering on duty, subject to such exceptions as required by law.
If selected, you will be required to be vaccinated against COVID-19 and submit documentation of proof of vaccination by December 8, 2021 or before appointment or onboarding with UCAR, if after December 8, 2021. UCAR will provide additional information regarding what information or documentation will be needed and how you can request of UCAR a legally required exception from this requirement.
Where You Will Work:
Located in Boulder, Colorado, the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR) is one of the world’s premier scientific institutions, with an internationally recognized staff and research program dedicated to advancing knowledge, providing community-based resources, and building human capacity in the atmospheric and related sciences. NCAR is sponsored by the National Science Foundation (NSF) and managed by the University Corporation for Atmospheric Research (UCAR).
The structure of NCAR and UCAR—unique among the nation’s science disciplines—paves the way for innovation to bring impact to everyday life. NCAR’s research is unusually wide-ranging, from the flow of magnetism within the Sun to the flow of heat in the ocean. Much of NCAR’s work is carried out with collaborators at universities and labs across the nation and beyond, which further expands the breadth of the science.
The Research Applications Laboratory is one of seven laboratories within NCAR. Its mission is to conduct directed research that contributes to fundamental understanding of the atmosphere and related physical, biological, and social systems; to support, enhance, and extend the capabilities of the scientific community; and to develop and transfer knowledge and technology for the betterment of life on Earth.
What You Need:
Research will be conducted on the regional hydro-climate changes with a focus on extreme precipitation events simulated by an atmospheric model. This will include analysis of global climate model data, quasi-dynamical and statistical modeling of the regional climate, and interacting with researchers running hydrologic model simulations. For this purpose, this position will work with the Intermediate Complexity Atmospheric Research model (ICAR) to downscale and analyze an ensemble of CMIP6 climate projections. The research will include improving and assessing regional changes in orographic precipitation and the combined climate effects on snowmelt timing and magnitude. The post-doc will work with a research team at NCAR dedicated to water resource applications, and will interact closely with stakeholders at the Army Corps of Engineers and Pacific Northwest National Lab. The position is within the Hydrometeorological Applications Program of the NCAR Research Applications Laboratory in Boulder, CO, USA.
This is a one-year term with the possibility of extension.
Configure and test the Intermediate Complexity Atmospheric Research model for regional climate simulations.
Evaluate the regional climate changes predicted by these models in the light of physical process understanding such as expected orographic effects due to changing future atmospheric moisture supply and dynamics, and changes in elevation dependent warming due to the snow albedo feedback effect or mesoscale atmospheric processes.
Work with stakeholders to evaluate the impacts of changes in hydrologic conditions and extreme runoff events.
Communicate research results through publication in peer-reviewed journals, meeting proceedings, and presentations at scientific meetings. Assist in the preparation of project reporting materials and responses to opportunities for related research funding.
What You Need:
Education and Years of Experience
- Ph.D. degree in atmospheric or hydrologic science or engineering.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge and understanding of climate change and regional climate, particularly related to mountainous environments.
- Knowledge and understanding of hydrologic processes important for snow-dominated environments beneficial.
- Skill in developing and implementing statistical analysis techniques related to hydrometeorological variables.
- Ability to manage and manipulate large, computationally intensive simulations on high performance computing platforms beneficial.
- Ability to conduct graphical and statistical analyses of multi-dimensional datasets.
- Familiarity with some or all of UNIX, Fortran, NetCDF, Python, and high-performance computing.
- Ability to interact productively with an interdisciplinary team of scientists and engineers.
- Ability to publish research results in peer-reviewed journals.
- Strong skills in written and oral communication of research results, including in an interdisciplinary context.
- A cover letter is required.
- An Inclusion Statement will be required for all applicants applying to this position. This statement should address past efforts, as well as future vision and plans to advocate for and advance diversity, equity, and inclusion in the organization and/or field of work.
- A pre-employment screening is conducted in conjunction with an offer for employment. This screening may involve verifying or reviewing any of the following relevant information: restricted parties screening, employment verification, performance records of internal candidates, education verification, reference checks, verification of professional licenses, certifications, and Motor Vehicle Records. UCAR complies with the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA).
- Please note that while the position description details both minimum requirements as well as desired skills and experience, we want to remind applicants that you do not need to have all the desired skills and experience to be considered for this role. If you have the passion for the work along with experience in a related field, you are encouraged to apply. We can provide on-the-job training for the rest.
- For more information about our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, here is the link to the Office of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Strategic Plan and to the ODEI landing page.
The University Corporation for Atmospheric Research (UCAR) is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer that strives to develop and maintain a diverse workforce. UCAR is committed to providing equal opportunity for all employees and applicants for employment and does not discriminate on the basis of race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy.
Whatever your intersection of identities, you are welcome at the University Corporation for Atmospheric Research (UCAR). We are committed to inclusivity and promoting an equitable environment that values and respects the uniqueness of all members of our organization.