The International Water Management Institute (IWMI) (www.iwmi.org) is looking for a dynamic, self-motivated individual to join as a Senior Research Officer (Gender and Social Inclusion), who will work mainly on two projects i.e., Australia Pakistan Water Security Initiative (APWASI) and Saline Aquaculture, covering study areas in the provinces of Punjab and Sindh and Federal Capital City of Pakistan. The incumbent will contribute to the research activities, including literature reviews, field data collection, analytical work, gender and social science analysis, and coordination with stakeholders and project partners for rural and urban environments. She/he will also organize project-related events, workshops, training, and field visits involving various stakeholders. She/he will engage in organizing gender and social sciences dialogues and workshops at local, provincial and federal levels in the water and climate sectors.
GENERAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The main responsibilities will include:
- Support the team during fieldwork, participating in interdisciplinary research activities, including experimental design, data collection, processing and analysis, in the thematic issues such as policy, institutions, water governance, rural livelihoods, impact evaluation, gender equality and social inclusion issues of the project activities.
- Provide technical assistance and support in areas such as designing and conducting gender analyses and assessments for rural and urban environments.
- Provided support and coordination for the development of Gender Equality and Social Inclusion strategies within the projects’ activities by all partners
- Manage the projects activities related to complementary gender and social inclusion measures and ensure timely and quality delivery of the outputs related to provision of support for employment, education and training, acquiring qualifications, and improved access to public services for the most vulnerable beneficiary
- Provide support to the institutions and organization on national and local level as well as to local self-governments in development of tailored models for the implementation of gender and social inclusion measures and economic empowerment of beneficiaries
- Develop and deepen innovative approaches to gender integration, gender equality, and inclusive development, and participate actively in relevant professional (formal and informal) communities
- Provide subject matter input on gender and social inclusion issues, with particular attention to coordinating activities with other results
- Provide timely and punctual information to the Project team about milestones as well as about relevant external news
- Capture good practices and lessons learned, related to areas of gender and social inclusion, particularly employment, education and access to social services
- Design and facilitate meetings, trainings, and workshops, using utilization-focused, appreciative, participatory, adult learning methodologies and approaches
- Provide technical support, guidance and advice to stakeholders for introducing, applying and promoting gender-responsive governance tools and methods in partner municipalities
- Contribute to preparing communication materials on core gender and local governance issues and to making them available to the local administration and the wider public
- In consultation with IWMI Gender and Youth Focal Point(s), conduct research on gender and youth on irrigated agriculture in the selected project sites in Pakistan.
- Communicate successful interventions with the wider research and development community.
- Prepare reports and articles e.g. lessons learned, success stories for publication, project workshops and meetings.
- Undertake relevant assignments as requested by the Project Leader from time-to-time.
MINIMUM EDUCATIONAL QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- A Master’s degree in Sociology, Social Sciences, Human Rights, Gender and Youth, Political Science, Anthropology or related fields.
- Minimum of 5 years of national or international development experience with particular emphasis on providing technical expertise on, and inputs for, gender mainstreaming into national policies and gender-sensitive planning, programming, and monitoring.
- Providing hands-on technical guidance, coaching and capacity development on applying tools and methods for integrating gender equality, women’s rights and women’s empowerment into governance/local administration.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Familiarity with qualitative and quantitative research methods in the field of social science and gender research, particularly in the areas of policy, impact evaluation, institutions and governance issues of water resources and/or natural resources; economic geography or agricultural water management.
- Knowledge and experience of water challenges for rural and urban sectors in the Pakistan from a gender and social exclusion context.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the complexity of gender and social dimensions of rural livelihoods in farming/agricultural systems acquired through formal training and/or subsequent experience.
- Ability to ensure successful implementation and quality assurance for the activities that will be implemented including those by the implementing partners of the projects.
- Demonstrated attention to provide technical assistance and guidance to stakeholders for operating in line with project goals and objective.
- Strong contemporary knowledge on gender and youth inclusivity gained through appropriate research qualifications and/or independent inquiry.
- Demonstrated original thinking, creativity and innovation applied to his/her discipline.
- A strongly self-motivated individual who is proactive, takes initiative and a good sense of judgement.
- Strong analytical (qualitative and/or quantitative) skills, with a demonstrated ability to tackle complex issues.
- Experience designing and implementing gender and youth inclusivity plans, tools, surveys and evaluations; also performing quantitative analysis.
- Proficient in Windows, Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel and quantitative analysis.
- Experience delivering trainings and facilitating workshops on gender and youth issues for international development programs demonstrating effective leadership and management.
- Strong interpersonal skills, tenacious, adaptable and flexible.
- Excellent English language skills.
- Good Urdu and Punjabi language skills.
- Capacity to produce high quality project communications in English, including briefs, success stories and reports
- Willingness to spend two weeks (or as required by project) at a time in field with limited facilities in rural areas of Punjab and Sindh.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and an ability to work as part of a team and regularly interacting with partners/clients.
- Ability to work on own initiative, meet deadlines and prioritize among multiple tasks.
This is a nationally recruited position and all applicants must be eligible to work in Pakistan. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes a transport allowance, medical insurance for self and eligible dependents, as well as life, AD&D and long-term disability insurance.
The duration of the initial contract will be for 3 years.
Your application must include a copy of your curriculum vitae, cover letter which addresses IWMI’s requirements stated above, and contact information of three professional referees, who will be contacted if you are short-listed for the position.
IWMI believes that diversity powers our innovation, contributes to our excellence, and is critical for our mission. We offer a multi-cultural, multi-color, multi-generational and multi-disciplinary working environment. We are consciously creating an inclusive organization that reflects our global character and our commitment to gender equity. We, therefore, encourage applicants from all cultures, races, ethnicities, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientations, and gender identities.