Result of Service
- Strengthening and increasing efficiency of the administrative processes, i.e. meeting scheduling, key documents are filed and marked, official communication processed efficiently, list of main contacts is kept updated;
- Technical support provided for the preparation, management, and follow-up to events organized by the UN Decade core team, mainly through hosting on MS Teams;
- Support provided to the Task Forces and particularly to the Youth Task Force, e.g. by organizing the #GenerationRestoration Multi-Stakeholder Partners Coalition to the Youth Task Force and follow-up;
- Successful coordination of joint UN Decade activities and campaigns with the partnership network;
- Support provided to successful and timely progress reporting within UNEP and to donors.
Duties and Responsibilities
UN Environment Programme is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. Its mandate is to coordinate the development of environmental policy consensus by keeping the global environment under review and bringing emerging issues to the attention of governments and the international community for action. UN Environment Ecosystems Division works with international and national partners, providing technical assistance and capacity development for the implementation of environmental policy, and strengthening the environmental management capacity of developing countries and countries with economies in transition.
On 1 March 2019, under Resolution 73/284, the United Nations General Assembly proclaimed 2021–2030 to be the United Nations Decade on Ecosystem Restoration (hereafter referred to as the UN Decade), with the primary aim being to prevent, halt, and reverse the degradation of ecosystems worldwide. UNEP and FAO, as the lead UN agencies, were mandated to develop the strategy and implement the UN Decade.
FAO and UNEP have jointly established the framework and structure for the operation of the UN Decade. To support reaching full operationality and the envisaged core team, a consultant will work on increasing administrative efficiency, internal and external event organization, establishment and operationalization of specific work streams and Task Forces, including for Youth engagement, together with supporting the management of the complex partnership structure in the ‘New Power’ approach which characterizes this UN Decade.
The consultancy will be located in UNEP / Ecosystems Division Nature for Climate Branch and the incumbent will report to the UN Decade Partnership Coordinator.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The objective of this consultancy is to facilitate the implementation of the UN Decade and to support the UN Decade on Ecosystem Restoration’s growing movement of Lead Agencies, Global Partners, Supporting Partners, Actors and affiliated entities and individuals.
The consultant will play a central role in linking the UN Decade’s core team and wider partnership network. As integral part of the UN Decade core team of FAO and UNEP, the consultant will perform a number of specialized tasks that contribute to the successful implementation.
The incumbent will particularly work on the following aligned with key events listed in 1.2:
- Be responsible for the preparation and follow-up of meetings, conferences, consultative processes etc. of the partner network and and converting the UN Decade vision into an actionable for the network;
- Prioritize outreach activities; conducting training workshops, seminars, often with the wider UN Decade partner network specialized on building the global restoration movement;
- Assuring quality of the particular secretariat functions of the core team to the network;
- Ensuring optimal running of the the UN Decade’s various work streams, particularly the Youth Task Force;
- Development of specialized reports documenting the progress, results and outcomes of the UN Decade, and the consultation process of the UN Decade Action Plan.
The consultant will use established framework such as the UN Decade strategy and structures of the UN Decade as a point of departure and will contribute her/his experience to a successful implementation. During the consultancy, there will be permanent coordination and communication between the consultant and the core team of the UN Decade (FAO and UNEP).
Academic Qualifications: An advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in environmental affairs, environmental economics, political science or a related field is required.
A first-level university degree in combination with two (2) additional years of qualifying work experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Experience: At least 2 year of professional experience in project management, including experience in partnership development and management, social research, and managing complex networks or partnerships is a desirable.
Experience with global environmental policy dialogues, the UN-System, and project reporting is needed.
S/he should also write well and can undertake critical analysis.
In addition, the consultant should have excellent English language writing skills, be computer literate in standard software applications, including MS Teams; be able to work independently; and have good interpersonal skills.
Language: English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an advantage.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.