$30.38 – $48.61 Hourly
$63,198 – $101,117 Annually
This position is a Pay Band EG
Purpose of Position
This posting will be used for ongoing recruitment and will remain open until filled.
Why does the job exist?
The position will manage and direct the adjudication support activities of the Hydrographic Survey Bureau personnel to support the Lower Rio Grande Adjudication Bureau (LRGAB) with water rights adjudications in Las Cruces, New Mexico. It oversees and directs the analysis and maintenance of spatial and tabular data of water uses and water rights for LRG’s projects; or projects that involve Litigation and Adjudication Program’s (LAP) input, and specifically in the adjudication process; and to provide the necessary training and guidance to technical staff in complex and advanced techniques and technologies. This position will perform specialized functions within the field of engineering.
How does it get done?
1. Manage assigned hydrographic surveys, including project planning, contract management, quality assurance and quality control, integration into the LRG Adjudication Bureau in support of the completion of assigned adjudications, interaction with the courts and the public, productions of hydrographic survey maps and compilations of reports, and completion of error and omissions survey and reports. Incumbent must also appear as the state¿s testifying witness during the course of the adjudications.
2. Supervise and evaluate Hydrographic Survey Bureau Personnel to ensure the efficient and accurate performance of their assigned tasks and duties while working towards meeting milestones and ultimately meeting targeted timelines of the completion of assigned hydrographic surveys and adjudications.
3. Develop hydrographic survey processes, specifications and establish directives and timelines to plan for initiating and completing assigned Hydrographic Surveys and adjudications.
4. Train Hydrographic Survey Team personnel in the complex disciplines of a hydrographic survey, including; Mapping (GIS & CAD), control survey, field inspection, ownership data acquisition, water rights abstracting and evaluation, report compilation and use of both field and office equipment to complete the assigned surveys.
Who are the customers?
Office of the State Engineer, State of New Mexico and water rights claimants.
Experience supervising and mentoring staff.
Experience promoting a cohesive and team work environment.
Experience with hydrographic surveys, including; Mapping (GIS & CAD), control survey, field inspection, ownership data acquisition, water rights abstracting and evaluation.
Experience communicating with water rights claimants; applying solid and accurate engineering judgment to determine the best technical approaches for arising problems within the Bureau or Program.
Experience explaining complex spatial and tabular data to the non-technical trained public and ensuring that administrative actions and adjudication actions are congruent and complement one another.
Bachelor’s Degree in a related Water Resources discipline (Agriculture Science, Hydrology, Geology, Environmental Science, Water Resources, Watershed Management, Physics, Biology, Natural Science, Physical Science, Life Science, Biology, Chemistry, Geography Forestry/Forest Science, Conservation Science, Wildlife Science, Emergency Management or Engineering) and eight (8) years of relevant experience. Master’s Degree in the above disciplines and six (6) years of relevant experience or a Ph.D. and four (4) years of experience in the above disciplines will substitute for the required education and experience. Substitutions Apply.
• Education and years of experience must be related to the purpose of the position.
• If Minimum Qualification requires a specific number of “semester hours” in a field (e.g. 6 semester hours in Accounting), applicants MUST have those semester hours in order to meet the minimum qualifications. No substitutions apply for semester hours.
This position is required to drive a state vehicle. Must possess and maintain a valid New Mexico Driver’s License. Must possess and maintain a current Defensive Driving Course Certificate from the State of New Mexico or must pass and receive Defensive Driving Course Certification within six (6) months of date of hire as a condition of continued employment.
Executive Order 2021-046 requires all employees with the State of New Mexico to provide either proof of COVID-19 vaccination or proof of a COVID-19 viral test every week.
The Public Health Order (on Vaccination) dated August 17, 2021, requires Congregate Care Facility Workers and Hospital Workers to be fully vaccinated.
If you have questions about whether these requirements apply to this specific position, contact the agency contact listed on this advertisement.
Links to the referenced Executive Order and Public Health Order can be found on the State Personnel Office website homepage: www.spo.state.nm.us
Work is performed in an office setting with extensive personal computer and phone usage. Some sitting, standing, walking, bending and reaching may be required. Required to drive a state vehicle. Must follow all health an safety protocols.
Do you know what Total Compensation is? Click here
Agency Contact Information: Sonny Swazo 505-827-3822 Email
For information on Statutory Requirements for this position, click the Classification Description link on the job advertisement.
Bargaining Unit Position
This position is not covered by a collective bargaining agreement.