As one of the Australia’s largest providers of human resources solutions, Chandler Macleod has a proven track record of unleashing potential in people and companies. For over 40 years Chandler Macleod’s recruitment business has connected leading-edge projects and employers with outstanding business professionals.
Our Federal Government client is seeking to engage an APS6 Policy Officer on a contract for 6 months with potential extension 12 months.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Required duties may include:
- Working as a member of a small team to provide high-level policy advice and support to the Executive and Minister
- Contributing to and coordinating the preparation of briefing papers and correspondence (e.g. Estimates briefing, QTBs, meeting briefs, talking points, Ministerial submissions and responses to Ministerial correspondence)
- Contributing to new policy proposals and associated budget process products (NPP costings, risk assessments etc)
- Undertaking coordination and liaison activities across the Water Division, department and other Commonwealth and state agencies (e.g. secretariat for cross jurisdictional working group)
- Contributing to and coordinating Australian Government response/s and submissions to Parliamentary inquiries
Skills & Experience:
- The ability to understand and clearly and succinctly communicate (both written and verbal) complex policy and technical issues
- The ability to work effectively in a team environment
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- The ability to write clear, accurate and succinct briefings, papers and correspondence
- Strong administrative, planning and organisational skills, including organising own work and meeting deadlines
- The ability to build and sustain relationships and negotiate confidently with a range of stakeholders and clients
- Ability to quickly research issues and undertake complex policy analysis
- Sound judgement in managing competing priorities and limited timeframes
Demonstrated knowledge or experience in the following are desirable:
- Experience working in a fast-paced policy environment.
- Knowledge of (non-urban) water policy, environmental policy, Indigenous water issues, climate change, irrigation sector and natural resource management.
- Knowledge and experience in Australian Government administrative processes, program design, development and implementation.
- Understanding of the Water Act 2007, Murray-Darling Basin Plan.
- Qualifications and/or experience in one or more of the following areas would be highly regarded, but not essential: policy and governance, law, environmental science or natural resource management, or environmental and resource economics.
- The successful candidate will be required to have a Baseline security clearance.
If you feel you are a suitable candidate submit your application by hitting “Apply for this job”. Alternatively, you can call Gillian Stewart on 02 6268 9935 or email [email protected] for further discussion.