- Help shape and implement the strategic goals and vision for holistic water management across RTIO
- Assist and drive a culture of continuous improvement and innovation in mine water management
- Great opportunity to network, collaborate and partner with an extensive stakeholder group
- Permanent opportunity which includes a huge range of additional benefits
- Newly created role – based in Perth with ad-hoc travel to the Pilbara
About the role
All progress begins with pioneers. At Rio Tinto, it begins with you.
Our Water Resource Evaluation (WRE) division is responsible for providing the technical advice and direction necessary to mitigate water-related risk across our Pilbara operations at all stages of mine development, from concept through to feasibility, implementation, operations and closure.
An exciting opportunity currently exists for a Specialist Water Projects to join our Water Resource Evaluation team for Rio Tinto Iron Ore in Perth. In this newly created role, you will assist in the delivery and business engagement on a series of water management initiatives identified as key to enabling execution of our water management strategy. This is a great opportunity to work with a diverse stakeholder group geographically spread across our iron ore business to help deliver a plan which considers the entire life of our Tier 1 assets, from development, implementation, operation and closure.
We are an open, connected international team of technical specialists using some of the most exciting data and tools on the planet. We are the world leader in automation and smart mining. We have research and development programs that are industry-leading and recognise the unique nature of your role. These provide opportunities to grow your career in new and exciting ways through a dedicated technical path while being rewarded for your unique skills.
Reporting to the Principal, Water Projects, you will:
- Assist in the successful delivery of water initiatives in relation to dewatering, water disposal, hydrometrics, industry collaboration and advanced analytics
- Work collaboratively with both internal and external stakeholders to drive continuous improvement through adherence to PDCA (plan-do-check-act)
- Assist in technical project development to ensure strategic objectives are met
- Bring water stewardship principles and imbed as project fundamentals
- Establish effective working relationships with water management stakeholders across the business
- Be involved in industry-leading water management projects from concept development to implementation
- Knowledge of techniques to measure and predict complex natural and engineered water system behaviour
What you’ll bring
- A commitment to the safety of yourself and others, creating and maintaining a safe workplace
- Demonstrated complex problem-solving abilities to deliver water related solutions across the business
- Proven ability to build constructive working relationships
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills – ability to build networks with a wide range of people, ability to influence and build consensus.
- Flexibility to travel to our operational mine sites on a regular basis
- A current manual WA Driver’s license
A bachelor’s degree in a water focused science/ engineering discipline and previous project management experience or project management skills will be beneficial. An understanding of the challenges associated with water management in mining and the Pilbara specifically will also be advantageous.
What we offer
Be recognised for your contribution, your thinking and your hard work, and go home knowing you’ve helped the world progress.
- A work environment where safety is always the number one priority
- A competitive salary package reflective of your skills and experience with annual incentive program
- Comprehensive medical benefits including subsidised private health insurance for employees and immediate family
- Attractive share ownership plan and extensive salary sacrifice & salary packaging options
- Career development & education assistance to further your technical or leadership ambitions
- Ongoing access to family-friendly health and medical wellbeing support
- Leave for all of life’s reasons (vacation/annual, paid parental, sick leave)
- Exclusive employee discounts (banking, accommodation, cars, retail and more)
About Rio Tinto
Every idea, every innovation, every little thing the world calls ‘progress’ begins with a first step, and someone willing to take it: explorers, inventors, entrepreneurs. Pioneers.
For nearly 150 years, Rio Tinto has been a company of pioneers –generations of people spanning the globe, all with the grit and vision to produce materials essential to human progress. Our iron ore has shaped skylines from Shanghai to Sydney. Our aluminium –the world’s first to be certified “responsible” –helps planes fly and makes cars lighter. Our copper helps wind turbines power cities and our boron helps feed the world and explore the universe. Our diamonds help us celebrate the best parts of life.
Where you’ll be working
In the Pilbara region of Western Australia, Rio Tinto operates the world’s largest integrated portfolio of iron ore assets with industry-leading margins. Our premium product suite, including our flagship Pilbara blend, drives strong customer relationships and is supported by technical and commercial marketing expertise. The iron ore business continues to be the world’s largest autonomous truck operator and a proud leader in automated mining technologies.
This role will be based in Perth at our Central Park building with adhoc travel to our Pilbara operations as required.
Every Voice Matters
At Rio Tinto, we particularly welcome and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, women, the LGBTI+ community, mature workers, people with disabilities and people from different cultural backgrounds.
We are committed to an inclusive environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome –they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or anything else that makes us different.
Ready to experience something unique? Come work with us.
This role is for applicants residing in or willing to permanently relocate to Western Australia. Rio Tinto offers Fly in and fly out options from Perth, our regional FIFO hubs and the opportunity to live in our residential towns where applicable.