Future Earth is a network of scientists, researchers, and innovators designed to provide the knowledge needed to support transformations towards sustainability. Its global constellation of Secretariat Hubs, Global Research Networks, and the broader Future Earth community work to facilitate research and innovation, build and mobilize networks and shape the narrative on global sustainability science, turning knowledge into action.
Future Earth is seeking to fill the position of Communications Lead. This position requires an energetic, strategic and creative individual to lead our global communications and build our online brand and community. In collaboration with the Future Earth secretariat Hubs, this individual will set the editorial calendar, coordinate our communications output, and work with a small international team to build our media presence. Deliverables include; social media management and monitoring, supervision of web content development, press engagement and monitoring, virtual and in person events, coordination of print and digital products for science-policy interactions, and managing consultants and suppliers.
This is a full time position based in the USA. Applicants must be eligible to work in the USA and may work remotely from within the USA.
The Communications Lead will bring an experienced and critical eye to existing media and digital products and strategize new approaches to solidify the Future Earth brand. The person stepping into this role will take a collaborative approach to our communications and our digital expansion, setting targets for growing followers and building readership for Future Earth’s digital platforms. As the Future Earth communications team is small and globally distributed, the Communications Lead will be deeply involved in all parts of our communications work. We are looking for an individual who lives and breathes user-focused digital media curation and management, enjoys developing creative digital content within a complex, global organization, and thrives on problem-solving under tight deadlines.
This position will be hired through Future Earth US NGO, a 501(c)3 non-profit organization registered in Colorado, and University of Colorado Boulder, where Future Earth US Global Hub staff are hosted by the Sustainability Innovation Lab (SILC) within the Sustainability, Energy, and Environment Complex (SEEC). The position will report to the US Global Hub Director and engage with other Global Hub Directors and function leads as part of their international work plan.
Developing and delivering on the existing communication strategy
- Deliver key annual communications products aligned with our Future Earth core strategic activities.
- Work with a globally distributed executive team to develop a communications calendar and set of communications priorities for the organization.
- Work with the executive team to manage and grow the globally distributed communications budget.
- Management and supervision of the Future Earth website (WordPress).
- Curate, edit and post regular updates to the website, including news, blogs, events, and other content.
- Review, design and maintain website homepage and other site content to meet outstanding standards for professionalism, including copy-editing and image selection, copyright management and international privacy considerations.
- Collaborate with secretariat and partners to implement edits and additions as requested.
- Coordinate and edit news coverage, blogs, audio visual material or press releases for key events related to Future Earth networks and communities, often on tight deadlines.
- Lead digital work on other Future Earth-hosted initiatives, such as the 10 New Insights in Climate Science series and the Earth Commission website in close collaboration with relevant Future Earth colleagues.
Social media management
- Delegate, design, and carry out social media campaigns around key events and priorities for Future Earth and track their results, often collaborating with secretariats based in different time zones.
- Implement and update the social media strategy for Future Earth, encompassing building a consistent voice, branding and integrating innovative tools for rapidly growing engagement with target audiences.
Internal communications / other
- Maintain up-to-date digital and print global communications materials.
- Manage and edit the monthly newsletter.
- Assist with project management of annual reports and other internal documents.
- Handle relationships regarding communications needs with the Future Earth Secretariat, and other entities of Future Earth.
- Represent and advocate for Anthropocene magazine, the premier publication of Future Earth, especially during the launch of an issue or during matching grant periods.
- Support communications and advancement efforts within the US Hub of Future Earth, as well as efforts to strengthen Future Earth’s profile and partnerships in the US.
- As appropriate, manage contracts with external consultants and vendors supporting Future Earth’s communications work.
- Strong English language writing skills
- At least 5 years of experience managing communications for a major international organization, scientific institution, policy think tank, or similar.
- Competency with Adobe Creative Cloud (InDesign, Illustrator, Premiere, Photoshop).
- Familiarity with content management systems (WordPress experience preferred).
- Experience with MailChimp and the creation/dissemination of newsletters.
- A strong track record of successfully managing social media channels for established companies/non-profits.
- Strong editorial and writing skills, with the ability to transform complex and technical information into interesting news stories for wider audiences.
- Generosity, compassion, flexibility, and poise in a fast-paced environment with many stakeholders.
The expected annual salary and benefits for this position is between $70,000 and $85,000 USD to be negotiated with the selected candidate. The position will be administered by the Future Earth NGO and runs from the time a candidate is selected through November 2022, with possible extension.
Applications can be submitted through the Future Earth application portal until November 1, 2021.
For more information, please contact Veera Mitzner, Associate Director, Future Earth US Global Hub ([email protected]).