AECOM is built to deliver a better world. We design, build, finance and operate infrastructure assets for governments, businesses and organizations in more than 150 countries. As a fully integrated firm, we connect knowledge and experience across our global network of experts to help clients solve their most complex challenges. From high-performance buildings and infrastructure, to resilient communities and environments, to stable and secure nations, our work is transformative, differentiated and vital. A Fortune 500 firm, see how we deliver what others can only imagine at aecom.com and @AECOM.
Communities around the globe are challenged to find effective ways to manage water throughout the water cycle restoring the water we use to continue sustaining the natural environment. At AECOM, our Water specialists work together worldwide to find innovative solutions to the management of water. We provide technical expertise and solutions for projects across Europe, the Middle East and Africa, in areas such as:
- Flood Risk Management
- Hydraulic Modelling and Design (Surface, Potable and Foul)
- Sustainable Drainage Systems and Water Sensitive Urban Design
- Mains Infrastructure Design (Surface, Potable and Foul)
- Non-Infrastructure Design (Pumping Stations, Storage Tanks)
- Hydrology and Water Resources
- NEC Project Management
Our Civil Engineering graduates gain valuable experience working on a variety of global projects alongside a multitude of different disciplines. Our graduates are encouraged to develop their understanding of many elements within the water industry, such as hydraulic, structural and environmental design through calculations, report writing and use of engineering software. You will work alongside our experienced engineers as you develop these skills within a positive culture where learning and development is actively supported and promoted.
An example project is the £5M Lagan Gateway project at Stranmillis, for Belfast City Council. Our team of Project Managers are leading the delivery of a new boat navigation lock adjacent to the River Lagan, construction of a new 3 span 70m long iconic “Gateway” bridge linking Stranmillis and Annadale, and improvements to the existing designated operational weir structure, providing protection from flooding in Belfast. The project forms a key element in the long term regeneration of the Lagan navigation and is the first step towards opening navigation from Belfast to Lisburn and eventually all the way to Lough Neagh.
We also support our graduates to pursue their professional development through professional organisations such as ICE or CIWEM. This is further complimented by AECOM’s Graduate Development programme, providing broader development and training and an opportunity to meet with other graduates. Key responsibilities will include:
- Undertake numerical analysis including the use of computer-based programmes to assist with the study of potable, surface and wastewater systems
- Undertake technical and feasibility studies to appraise the practicability of alternative solutions in aspects such as potable water, foul water, surface water and attenuation requirements, including appropriate calculations
- Undertake structural analysis and design such as determination of the design situation and load cases, including calculation and use of analysis software
- Produce designs of water infrastructure such as pump systems and pipe networks with attenuation to safety in design, such as creating a Designer’s Risk Assessment document
- Produce sketches, check and consolidate final working drawings created by Technicians
- Keep up-to-date with developments in regulatory legislation and guidelines that may affect design work
- Working with other team members to undertake technical work, site work, and project management
- Opportunities for working on site and site visits, to develop wider understanding of how designs are implemented
- Procurement and Contract Management of Contractors during the construction phase of projects
- Liaising and reporting to clients on the technical aspects and progress of projects
- BEng in Civil or Structural Engineering with a 2:1 or above (or equivalent)
- MEng in Civil, Structural, or a Water Engineering related MSc (civils) would be an advantage
- Water related modules would be an advantage
- Relevant work experience would be an advantage
- Enthusiastic, hard-working, technically proficient, with ambition and drive
- Basic computer skills essential (Word/Excel) and good report writing skills beneficial
- Willing and able to work towards professional qualifications such as ICE & CIWEM
- Demonstrable interest in water projects
- Capability to satisfy client and business expectations and be able to consider the wider financial and commercial implications of their actions
- Communicate effectively to internal and external clients, both verbally & in writing
- Structure & prioritise work effectively through close cooperation with the team as a whole
- Ability to work independently without losing initiative & focus.
What We Offer
When you join AECOM, you become part of a company that is pioneering the future. Our teams around the world are involved in some of the most cutting-edge and innovative projects and programs of our time, addressing the big challenges of today and shaping the built environment for generations to come. We ensure a workplace that encourages growth, flexibility and creativity, as well as a company culture that champions inclusion, diversity and overall employee well-being through programs supported by company leadership. Our core values define who we are, how we act and what we aspire to, which comes down to not only delivering a better world, but working to “make amazing happen” in each neighborhood, community and city we touch. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person’s potential, and we’ll help you reach yours.
Job Category Engineering – Civil
Business Line Water
Business Group Design and Consulting Services Group (DCS)
Country United Kingdom
Position Status Full-Time
Requisition/Vacancy No. 256319BR
Clearance Required No
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.